Math Is Fun Forum

Discussion about math, puzzles, games and fun.   Useful symbols: ÷ × ½ √ ∞ ≠ ≤ ≥ ≈ ⇒ ± ∈ Δ θ ∴ ∑ ∫ • π ƒ -¹ ² ³ °

You are not logged in.

#1 2023-11-12 14:29:43

sologuitar

Radicand Comes Out

Why does the radicand come out?

See here:

sqrt{(a + b)^2} = (a + b)

Why?

I can do it with anything.

Look here:

sqrt{(apple)^2} = (apple).

Why is that the case?

#2 2023-11-13 04:37:39

Bob
Administrator

Re: Radicand Comes Out

Square and square root are inverse operations. If you do one followed by the other you get back to where you started. Like double and half

B

Children are not defined by school ...........The Fonz
You cannot teach a man anything;  you can only help him find it within himself..........Galileo Galilei
Sometimes I deliberately make mistakes, just to test you!  …………….Bob smile

#3 2023-11-13 04:44:19

e_jane_aran

harpazo1965 wrote:

See here:

Why is that the case?

Squaring and square-rooting are inverse operations (assuming the argument of the square root is non-negative). They undo each other. It is the same reason that 1 + 1 - 1 = 1 or (2*3)/3 = 2.

"They are fast. Faster than you can believe. Don't turn your back. Don't look away. And most of all, don't blink." -the 10th Doctor

#4 2023-11-13 13:38:57

sologuitar

Bob wrote:

Square and square root are inverse operations. If you do one followed by the other you get back to where you started. Like double and half

B

It makes sense, Bob. Ok. Cool.

#5 2023-11-13 13:41:34

sologuitar

e_jane_aran wrote:
harpazo1965 wrote:

See here:

Why is that the case?

Squaring and square-rooting are inverse operations (assuming the argument of the square root is non-negative). They undo each other. It is the same reason that 1 + 1 - 1 = 1 or (2*3)/3 = 2.

Yes,  this is what Bob said. By the way, I left the other math forum after I was so rudely insulted by Jonah. Do not tell him that I am here. If you do, I will request for you to be banned from this site. He does not need to know where I am. Agree?

#6 2023-11-14 21:42:39

Bob
Administrator

sologuitar wrote:

By the way, I left the other math forum after I was so rudely insulted by Jonah. Do not tell him that I am here. If you do, I will request for you to be banned from this site. He does not need to know where I am. Agree?

I started on the forum as an ordinary member and I helped a few folk with questions.  Then I was badly trolled because of an answer I gave.  I spent the next few days composing angry and sarcastic responses (in my head) . In the end I decided to just say nothing.

What I didn't know until later is the moderators were discussing the situation and had privately ordered the troll to retract what had been written.  They also discussed my behaviour and decided to ask me if I would become a moderator. 

If you had said nothing I wouldn't have known about this other forum incident at all.  Sometimes saying nothing is the best policy.

Bob

You cannot teach a man anything;  you can only help him find it within himself..........Galileo Galilei

#7 2023-11-14 23:25:30

amnkb

Bob wrote:

I started on the forum as an ordinary member and I helped a few folk with questions.  Then I was badly trolled because of an answer I gave.  I spent the next few days composing angry and sarcastic responses (in my head) . In the end I decided to just say nothing....

youre so kind and patient
thank you
<3

#8 2023-11-16 18:12:24

sologuitar

Bob wrote:
sologuitar wrote:

By the way, I left the other math forum after I was so rudely insulted by Jonah. Do not tell him that I am here. If you do, I will request for you to be banned from this site. He does not need to know where I am. Agree?

I started on the forum as an ordinary member and I helped a few folk with questions.  Then I was badly trolled because of an answer I gave.  I spent the next few days composing angry and sarcastic responses (in my head) . In the end I decided to just say nothing.

What I didn't know until later is the moderators were discussing the situation and had privately ordered the troll to retract what had been written.  They also discussed my behaviour and decided to ask me if I would become a moderator. 

If you had said nothing I wouldn't have known about this other forum incident at all.  Sometimes saying nothing is the best policy.

Bob

As the old saying goes: Silence is golden. It's ok for me that you know about my experience in not just one math forum but several forums. There are lots of angry folks in the world that really hate to see others happy doing something they enjoy.

#9 2023-11-17 16:01:04

KerimF

May I add...

sqrt{(a + b)^2} = ±(a + b)

like sqrt{(1 + 2)^2} = sqrt(9) = ±3

#10 2023-11-18 02:12:36

amnkb

KerimF wrote:

May I add...

actually, sqaure root is defined to be the positive answer

#11 2023-11-18 04:02:28

sologuitar

amnkb wrote:
KerimF wrote:

May I add...

Yeah, no kidding. Where is your math work? Seriously, I personally don't want to read a story about each problem posted. Just do the math. Get it?

#12 2023-11-18 21:43:06

KerimF

amnkb wrote:
KerimF wrote:

May I add...

Based on this definition, you mentioned, you are totally right.

I just added what I know because in my designs, if I ended up with the equation:
x^2 - 9 = 0 
X^2 = 9
x = sqrt(9) = ±3
I had to consider both results.

But in case you believe that I do wrong, and I have to ignore always the negative result, please accept my apology.

Last edited by KerimF (2023-11-18 21:43:44)

#13 2023-11-19 10:33:40

sologuitar

KerimF wrote:
amnkb wrote:
KerimF wrote:

May I add...

I just added what I know because in my designs, if I ended up with the equation:
x^2 - 9 = 0 
X^2 = 9
x = sqrt(9) = ±3

But in case you believe that I do wrong, and I have to ignore always the negative result, please accept my apology.

No apology needed. Let's stay on the math course.

#14 2023-11-19 13:48:22

amnkb

KerimF wrote:

May I add...

amnkb wrote:

[addressed to KerimF] actually, sqaure root is defined to be the positive answer

sologuitar wrote:

Yeah, no kidding. Where is your math work? Seriously, I personally don't want to read a story about each problem posted. Just do the math. Get it?

what 'math' could i 'do' to correct the wrong info?
arent math definitions part of math?
but i'll leave bad info alone in future
sry

#15 2023-11-20 12:35:39

sologuitar

amnkb wrote:
KerimF wrote:

May I add...

amnkb wrote:

[addressed to KerimF] actually, sqaure root is defined to be the positive answer

sologuitar wrote:

what 'math' could i 'do' to correct the wrong info?
arent math definitions part of math?
but i'll leave bad info alone in future
sry

Also, stop saying sorry all the time. Understand? Just be normal, dude.

#16 2023-11-20 20:57:56

Bob
Administrator

Let's not have an argument about what a poster says in helping. You have to let each person provide their help in their own way. If it doesn't help then you can ask for clarification or ignore it but please don't get angry. That doesn't help anyone. Remember my post about when I was trolled.

Bob

#17 2023-11-21 05:21:05

sologuitar

Bob wrote:

Let's not have an argument about what a poster says in helping. You have to let each person provide their help in their own way. If it doesn't help then you can ask for clarification or ignore it but please don't get angry. That doesn't help anyone. Remember my post about when I was trolled.

Bob

I am not angry. Frustrated is a better word. I want to improve mathematically. This is not possible if members provides the entire solution. If I ask for a step by step solution, that's a different story.

#18 2023-11-23 06:41:58

zetafunc
Website

KerimF wrote:

x^2 - 9 = 0 
X^2 = 9
x = sqrt(9) = ±3

Actually, you have the right idea, it's just that the ± symbol needs to come slightly earlier. Instead of:

you want to say:

And what amnkb is saying is that

#19 2023-11-23 19:21:37

KerimF

zetafunc wrote:

Actually, you have the right idea, it's just that the ± symbol needs to come slightly earlier. Instead of:

you want to say:

And what amnkb is saying is that

Just to give an idea about my nature, I respect always other's views and knowledge no matter if they sound right or wrong to me.
And when I contact others, I simply say what I know while I understand fully that they may have their good reasons not to accept everything I say/know.

#20 2023-11-24 13:12:45

sologuitar

Copy. Understood.

Board footer