Math Is Fun Forum

Discussion about math, puzzles, games and fun.   Useful symbols: ÷ × ½ √ ∞ ≠ ≤ ≥ ≈ ⇒ ± ∈ Δ θ ∴ ∑ ∫ • π ƒ -¹ ² ³ °

You are not logged in.

#1 2022-08-06 17:33:20

Jai Ganesh
Administrator

Authority Quotes

Authority Quotes

1. Truth is the daughter of time, not of authority - Francis Bacon

2. To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture. - Thomas Paine

3. Nothing strengthens authority so much as silence. - Leonardo da Vinci

4. I do not believe in immortality of the individual, and I consider ethics to be an exclusively human concern with no superhuman authority behind it. - Albert Einstein

5. Because power corrupts, society's demands for moral authority and character increase as the importance of the position increases. - John Adams

6. My speaking style was criticised by no less an authority than Arnold Schwarzenegger. It was a low moment, my friends, to have my rhetorical skills denounced by a monosyllabic Austrian cyborg. - Boris Johnson

7. Authority forgets a dying king. - Alfred Lord Tennyson

8. The ultimate authority must always rest with the individual's own reason and critical analysis. - Dalai Lama

9. I was bold in the pursuit of knowledge, never fearing to follow truth and reason to whatever results they led, and bearding every authority which stood in their way. - Thomas Jefferson

10. Surround yourself with the best people you can find, delegate authority, and don't interfere as long as the policy you've decided upon is being carried out. - Ronald Reagan

11. In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual. - Galileo Galilei

12. The people are hungry: It is because those in authority eat up too much in taxes. - Lao Tzu

13. Moral authority comes from following universal and timeless principles like honesty, integrity, treating people with respect. - Stephen Covey

14. I can only say that there is not a man living who wishes more sincerely than I do, to see a plan adopted for the abolition of it - but there is only one proper and effectual mode by which it can be accomplished, and that is by Legislative authority: and this, as far as my suffrage will go, shall never be wanting. - George Washington

15. Authority must be respected and chosen wisely. - Lech Walesa

16. The wisest have the most authority. - Plato

17. Every great advance in natural knowledge has involved the absolute rejection of authority. - Thomas Huxley

18. The faith that stands on authority is not faith. - Ralph Waldo Emerson

19. My relationship to power and authority is that I'm all for it. People need somebody to watch over them. Ninety-five percent of the people in the world need to be told what to do and how to behave. - Arnold Schwarzenegger

20. But constant experience shows us that every man invested with power is apt to abuse it, and to carry his authority as far as it will go. - Montesquieu

21. Essentially, it is the director who is the creative head of a film. The final authority on all decisions lies with the director. That is how it should be. And then other team members can give their creative inputs. - Aamir Khan

22. Men use thought only as authority for their injustice, and employ speech only to conceal their thoughts. - Voltaire

23. One of the first duties of a Scout is obedience to authority. He must obey his orders in the first place and put his own amusement or desires in the second. - Robert Baden-Powell

24. I believe that there's a way to question authority with manners, with dignity. There's no reason to be rude about it. - Nicolas Cage

25. I grew up to always respect authority and respect those in charge. - Charles de Gaulle

26. For a war to be just three conditions are necessary - public authority, just cause, right motive. - Ernest Hemingway

27. Anyone who conducts an argument by appealing to authority is not using his intelligence; he is just using his memory. - Leonardo da Vinci

28. It vexes me when they would constrain science by the authority of the Scriptures, and yet do not consider themselves bound to answer reason and experiment. - Galileo Galilei

29. Authority has to exist before it can be limited, and it is authority that is in scarce supply in those modernizing countries where government is at the mercy of alienated intellectuals, rambunctious colonels, and rioting students. - Ferdinand Marcos

30. War should only be declared by the authority of the people, whose toils and treasures are to support its burdens, instead of the government which is to reap its fruits. - James Madison

31. That science has long been neglected and declining in England, is not an opinion originating with me, but is shared by many, and has been expressed by higher authority than mine. - Charles Babbage

32. Put two or three men in positions of conflicting authority. This will force them to work at loggerheads, allowing you to be the ultimate arbiter. - Franklin D. Roosevelt.

types-of-authority-sept012020-min.webp

It appears to me that if one wants to make progress in mathematics, one should study the masters and not the pupils. - Niels Henrik Abel.

Nothing is better than reading and gaining more and more knowledge - Stephen William Hawking.

Board footer