Math Is Fun Forum

Discussion about math, puzzles, games and fun.   Useful symbols: ÷ × ½ √ ∞ ≠ ≤ ≥ ≈ ⇒ ± ∈ Δ θ ∴ ∑ ∫ • π ƒ -¹ ² ³ °

You are not logged in.

#1 2022-06-19 08:55:06

Mathegocart

Bring back the infinity favicon for this website

Hello MathIsFun Forum people,
I recall(or perhaps my memories are faulty) that this forum website used to feature an infinity favicon(for those not in the know, a favicon is a small image that is displayed before the page title in the browser tab)
An example of a favicon, in this case, the Wikipedia article on book
An example of a favicon, using the Wikipedia article on Book. Browser used is Chrome 102.0.5005.115 on Windows 10.
However(perhaps occurring after the forum update), the favicon is now missing. This makes it somewhat difficult to differentiate the tab amongst a crowd of other tabs, as you may understand. Adding back the favicon would facilitate distinguishing the tab amongst various other tabs.
MathIsFun Forum's missing favicon
If you find this enough of a problem as I do, then perhaps you'll find my client-side userscript(a piece of JavaScript that facilitates and augments a website to improve or otherwise add a myriad of features) helpful - it simply adds a link tab w/ a rel parameter for the image to the <head>, hosted on postimage, thus adding an infinity favicon to the MathIsFun forum.
To apply this favicon, use a userscripts manager, such as TamperMonkey(which was open source for a long while until 2018, when the developer pushed it under a propietary license... which is disappointing to say the least) or ViolentMonkey, which is fully open source. Both are cross-browser, so feel free to use them on your browser of choice.
TamperMonkey homepage
ViolentMonkey homepage

// ==UserScript==
// @name         MathIsFunFaviconAdder
// @namespace    na
// @version      0.1
// @description  Interim solution for the sudden lack of a favicon on the MathsIsFun forum website.
// @author       Mathegocart
// @match        https://www.mathisfunforum.com/*
// @icon         https://i.postimg.cc/tTMvdx7c/infinity-icon-64.png
// @grant        none
// ==/UserScript==
'use strict';

(function() {
    var link = document.querySelector("link[rel~='icon']");
    if (!link) {
        link = document.createElement('link');
        link.rel = 'icon';
        document.getElementsByTagName('head')[0].appendChild(link);
    }
    link.href = 'https://i.postimg.cc/tTMvdx7c/infinity-icon-64.png';
})();

And here's the final result...
MathIsFun Forum tab w/ the aforementioned userscript applied
P.S. I wish that the [_code_] tag had language-specific highlighting, like [_code lang=js_]... that would improve readability greatly. (The underscores are there to stop the BBCode parser from stopping me from posting this.)
code highlighting example with js and the style atom-one-dark on the highlight.js website
Example of a code highlighting example with js and the style atom-one-dark on the highlight.js website

Last edited by Mathegocart (2022-06-19 09:05:55)

The integral of hope is reality.
May bobbym have a wonderful time in the pearly gates of heaven.
He will be sorely missed.

#2 2022-06-27 22:26:30

Hipt

Re: Bring back the infinity favicon for this website

Editing posts after they have been posted does not make them acceptable. Ive seen that done on other boards and I maintain that the original



#3 2022-06-28 02:21:01

Mathegocart

Re: Bring back the infinity favicon for this website

Hipt wrote:

Editing posts after they have been posted does not make them acceptable. Ive seen that done on other boards and I maintain that the original



The Edit feature is there for a reason. I merely added some images to clarify what I was saying. And I think my post is plenty acceptable.

The integral of hope is reality.
May bobbym have a wonderful time in the pearly gates of heaven.
He will be sorely missed.

Board footer