Math Is Fun Forum

Discussion about math, puzzles, games and fun.   Useful symbols: ÷ × ½ √ ∞ ≠ ≤ ≥ ≈ ⇒ ± ∈ Δ θ ∴ ∑ ∫ • π ƒ -¹ ² ³ °

You are not logged in.

#1 2022-03-29 20:21:10

Jai Ganesh
Administrator

Poetry Quotes

Poetry Quotes

1. Poetry is when an emotion has found its thought and the thought has found words. - Robert Frost

2. Poetry is not a turning loose of emotion, but an escape from emotion; it is not the expression of personality, but an escape from personality. But, of course, only those who have personality and emotions know what it means to want to escape from these things. - T. S. Eliot

3. Poetry is the spontaneous overflow of powerful feelings: it takes its origin from emotion recollected in tranquility. - William Wordsworth

4. A poet is a nightingale, who sits in darkness and sings to cheer its own solitude with sweet sounds. - Percy Bysshe Shelley

5. Painting is silent poetry, and poetry is painting that speaks. - Plutarch

6. When power leads man toward arrogance, poetry reminds him of his limitations. When power narrows the area of man's concern, poetry reminds him of the richness and diversity of existence. When power corrupts, poetry cleanses. - John F. Kennedy

7. Poetry is a deal of joy and pain and wonder, with a dash of the dictionary. - Khalil Gibran

8. Poetry is thoughts that breathe, and words that burn. - Thomas Gray

9. The crown of literature is poetry - W. Somerset Maugham

10. Poetry is the art of uniting pleasure with truth. - Samuel Johnson

11. Poetry, even when apparently most fantastic, is always a revolt against artifice, a revolt, in a sense, against actuality. - James Joyce

12. Poetry is finer and more philosophical than history; for poetry expresses the universal, and history only the particular. - Aristotle

13. When it comes to atoms, language can be used only as in poetry. The poet, too, is not nearly so concerned with describing facts as with creating images. - Niels Bohr

14. In science one tries to tell people, in such a way as to be understood by everyone, something that no one ever knew before. But in poetry, it's the exact opposite. - Paul Dirac

15. A poet can survive everything but a misprint. - Oscar Wilde

16. A poem is true if it hangs together. Information points to something else. A poem points to nothing but itself. - E. M. Forster

17. God is the perfect poet. - Robert Browning

18. Genuine poetry can communicate before it is understood. - T. S. Eliot

19. Poetry is a mirror which makes beautiful that which is distorted. - Percy Bysshe Shelley

20. Poetry should surprise by a fine excess and not by singularity, it should strike the reader as a wording of his own highest thoughts, and appear almost a remembrance. - John Keats

21. All bad poetry springs from genuine feeling. - Oscar Wilde

22. Pure mathematics is, in its way, the poetry of logical ideas. - Albert Einstein

23. Poetry comes from the highest happiness or the deepest sorrow. - A. P. J. Abdul Kalam

24. And New York is the most beautiful city in the world? It is not far from it. No urban night is like the night there... Squares after squares of flame, set up and cut into the aether. Here is our poetry, for we have pulled down the stars to our will. - Ezra Pound

25. We make out of the quarrel with others, rhetoric, but of the quarrel with ourselves, poetry. - William Butler Yeats

26. Personality is everything in art and poetry. - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

27. Poetry is the art of substantiating shadows, and of lending existence to nothing. - Edmund Burke

28. Poetry fettered, fetters the human race. Nations are destroyed or flourish in proportion as their poetry, painting, and music are destroyed or flourish. - William Blake

29. The true spirit of delight, the exaltation, the sense of being more than Man, which is the touchstone of the highest excellence, is to be found in mathematics as surely as poetry. - Bertrand Russell

30. In the French language, there is a great gulf between prose and poetry; in English, there is hardly any difference. It is a splendid privilege of the great literary languages Greek, Latin, and French that they possess a prose. English has not this privilege. There is no prose in English. - Victor Hugo

31. Ye stars! which are the poetry of heaven! - Lord Byron

32. All slang is metaphor, and all metaphor is poetry. - Gilbert K. Chesterton

33. I have not the slightest pretension to call my verses poetry; I write now and then for no other purpose than to relieve depression or to improve my English. - Alfred Nobel

34. I went through a phase of reading lots of Urdu poetry, thanks to the great transliterated versions that have become available. - Satya Nadella

35. I read poetry to save time. - Marilyn Monroe

36. Poetry has been to me its own exceeding great reward; it has given me the habit of wishing to discover the good and beautiful in all that meets and surrounds me. - Samuel Taylor Coleridge.

How_to_write_poetry.png

It appears to me that if one wants to make progress in mathematics, one should study the masters and not the pupils. - Niels Henrik Abel.

Nothing is better than reading and gaining more and more knowledge - Stephen William Hawking.

Board footer