Math Is Fun Forum

Discussion about math, puzzles, games and fun.   Useful symbols: ÷ × ½ √ ∞ ≠ ≤ ≥ ≈ ⇒ ± ∈ Δ θ ∴ ∑ ∫ • π ƒ -¹ ² ³ °

You are not logged in.

#1 2016-07-25 20:50:53

MathsIsFun
Administrator

Sound Waves

Another in the Waves series: Sound Waves

Let me know any Suggestions and Comments

"The physicists defer only to mathematicians, and the mathematicians defer only to God ..."  - Leon M. Lederman

#2 2016-07-25 21:21:30

Bob
Administrator

Re: Sound Waves

hi MathsIsFun

You can try it yourself:

followed by a scale and a button labelled A.

I know I'm getting deaf in my old age but I couldn't hear anything from this.  Should I be able to hear a hum?

Bob

Children are not defined by school ...........The Fonz
You cannot teach a man anything;  you can only help him find it within himself..........Galileo Galilei
Sometimes I deliberately make mistakes, just to test you!  …………….Bob smile

#3 2016-07-25 21:33:18

Jai Ganesh
Administrator

Hi MathsIsFun;

The page is Interesting and Informative. All aspects from compression/rarefaction to Doppler Effect have been covered.

Brilliant work!

It appears to me that if one wants to make progress in mathematics, one should study the masters and not the pupils. - Niels Henrik Abel.

Nothing is better than reading and gaining more and more knowledge - Stephen William Hawking.

#4 2016-07-26 02:11:48

bobbym
bumpkin

Hi;

Had to turn the volume up and down but was able to go pretty well through that sound test.

Excellent page.

In mathematics, you don't understand things. You just get used to them.
If it ain't broke, fix it until it is.
Always satisfy the Prime Directive of getting the right answer above all else.

#5 2016-07-26 10:45:29

MathsIsFun
Administrator

Thanks everyone! Excellent hearing, bobbym.

You may be in Internet Explorer, bob, it does not have a thing called "AudioContext" so my code doesn't make any sound.

"The physicists defer only to mathematicians, and the mathematicians defer only to God ..."  - Leon M. Lederman

#6 2016-07-26 19:33:38

Bob
Administrator

hi MathsIsFun

Thanks for the explanation.  I have tried chrome and it works as expected.  Sadly my ears don't sad .  My wife has been telling me to go and get a hearing check.  I think you've just prompted me into doing exactly that.  An additional use for the page that you may not have planned smile .  Thanks.

Bob

Children are not defined by school ...........The Fonz
You cannot teach a man anything;  you can only help him find it within himself..........Galileo Galilei
Sometimes I deliberately make mistakes, just to test you!  …………….Bob smile

#7 2016-07-26 22:37:46

MathsIsFun
Administrator

I might put the typical hearing sensitivity graph just below the sound generator so people don't freak out though!

Board footer