Math Is Fun Forum

Discussion about math, puzzles, games and fun.   Useful symbols: ÷ × ½ √ ∞ ≠ ≤ ≥ ≈ ⇒ ± ∈ Δ θ ∴ ∑ ∫ • π ƒ -¹ ² ³ °

You are not logged in.

#1 2008-07-03 04:02:17

ZHero
Real Member

Any puzzles?

From the time i've joined the forum, i've not seen any new puzzles being put in any of the Puzzle sections...
Seems like the threads are dead!!
Guys, i'm crazy about puzzles (even though i'm not so good at solving them but i love their beauty... They've got a thrill!) so mind getting some puzzles please...!
cool

If two or more thoughts intersect, there has to be a point!

#2 2008-07-03 11:32:55

John E. Franklin

Re: Any puzzles?

How about a secret code to decipher??
I could work one up maybe...

igloo myrtilles fourmis

#3 2010-04-15 22:39:11

ZHero
Real Member

sure thing...

#4 2010-04-19 02:17:51

phrontister
Real Member

Hi ZHero,

Some of my puzzles - my favourites - haven't hit it off at all here on MIF; but you never know...

You may like these four logic puzzles that I posted some months back. No one here has admitted to solving them yet:

1. Callous Count Crewell - a great, fun, storyline cross-number puzzle, something like Little Pigley Farm (see below).

2. NOHOW - quite a difficult cross-number puzzle from 1966 by Rhombus, whose tough brain teasers have been widely published.

3. Joan's telephone number & my YOB. This is a puzzle in 2 parts. Part 1, which was published in a puzzle magazine, was composed by a good friend of mine. I composed Part 2, which consists of some interesting  (I hope) nonsense, and a tricky bit for which I think you'll want to use a computer to help you solve it.

4. The missing dollar (& the 2 extra dollars) - easy.

The next three have been solved, but I recommend you try them too:

A. Little Pigley Farm - one of the best storyline cross-number puzzles I've seen.

B. More or Less - an easy(ish), well-constructed cross-number puzzle.

C. Self-Referential Aptitude Test - one of the most enjoyable puzzles I've ever done. A terrific brain-teaser!

Hope you like them! smile

Last edited by phrontister (2010-04-19 10:11:27)

"The good news about computers is that they do what you tell them to do. The bad news is that they do what you tell them to do." - Ted Nelson

#5 2010-04-19 21:48:15

ZHero
Real Member

i've downloaded and taken prints of the puzzles and will start working on them...
at least they Look Good!!             neutral
i'll notify after getting any answers!                  smile

#6 2010-04-21 02:48:53

phrontister
Real Member

ZHero wrote:

...at least they Look Good!!

If that's as in content...solving them destroyed quite a few hours that could otherwise have been devoted to productivity.

If that's as in appearance...thanx! All done in MS Word for clarity.

ZHero wrote:

i'll notify after getting any answers!

Just post 'em in their threads. Some of them will take several hours (I think), so I may not hear from you about them for a bit. smile

"The good news about computers is that they do what you tell them to do. The bad news is that they do what you tell them to do." - Ted Nelson

#7 2010-05-20 23:09:40

ZHero
Real Member

Hi twister!

so far i've completed only...

1. The Missing Dollar (Part-1) in The missing dollar (& the 2 extra dollars) and am trying my best to find any answer to the second part...........

2. Joan's Telephone Number in Joan's telephone number & my YOB.

3. Self-Referential Aptitude Test.

I'm having a great time! wink

Board footer