Math Is Fun Forum

Discussion about math, puzzles, games and fun.   Useful symbols: ÷ × ½ √ ∞ ≠ ≤ ≥ ≈ ⇒ ± ∈ Δ θ ∴ ∑ ∫ • π ƒ -¹ ² ³ °

You are not logged in.

#1 2008-12-08 06:00:13

g3org3m

Hey guys!

Hey everyone.

I'm a third year Maths student, but after being taught by extremely dull, unenthusiastic and lazy lecturers who think its ok to scribble down notes from a textbook on the blackboard is acceptable teaching i thought i would look for other ways to learn about maths, because i really enjoy it and hence how i came to this forum smile

Im naturally very good at maths, find it really easy to understand new concepts, but i dont study so much because i find it hard to find the right material to teach me. Im quite particular and thourough, and i find a lot of texts are too quick to explain or are just plain rubbish... i hope i can talk to some people who are on the same wavelength as me and also maybe find some friends!

Im currently writing my own sophisticated yet non-jargon and through version of a maths book designed to really "teach" maths in the way which i believe will let everybody understand, however its going to end up really comprehensive as im a perfectionist so it will take a while, not that im in a rush, its a long term thing for my own enjoyment, but if i ever get round to completing a section (ive started with Algebra cos i love it), i could always give a lucky few a sneaky peek if your nice tongue

Anyway, greetings!

#2 2008-12-08 08:19:56

MathsIsFun
Administrator

Re: Hey guys!

Hi g3org3m, and welcome.

I also try to explain maths in an approachable way. Could we see a sample of your work?

"The physicists defer only to mathematicians, and the mathematicians defer only to God ..."  - Leon M. Lederman

#3 2008-12-08 16:41:22

Jai Ganesh
Administrator

g3org3m wrote:

i hope i can talk to some people who are on the same wavelength as me and also maybe find some friends!

Sure you'd find some, g3org3m and also make friends!
I've too always had a feeling Mathematics can be taught better!
My good wishes for your venture!

It appears to me that if one wants to make progress in mathematics, one should study the masters and not the pupils. - Niels Henrik Abel.

Nothing is better than reading and gaining more and more knowledge - Stephen William Hawking.

#4 2008-12-09 09:19:54

g3org3m

Thanks guys!

Sure, I could snip out a bit of it and upload it to see a sample... although I haven't got far enough to finalise any harder material so it will be basic degree level the bit you'll see smile

I will try and get it up within the next week or so.

#5 2008-12-09 11:13:37

MathsIsFun
Administrator

Excellent ... look forward to it smile

"The physicists defer only to mathematicians, and the mathematicians defer only to God ..."  - Leon M. Lederman

Board footer