Math Is Fun Forum

Discussion about math, puzzles, games and fun.   Useful symbols: ÷ × ½ √ ∞ ≠ ≤ ≥ ≈ ⇒ ± ∈ Δ θ ∴ ∑ ∫ • π ƒ -¹ ² ³ °

You are not logged in.

#1 2008-11-27 23:03:43

Jai Ganesh
Administrator

Rain batters Chennai

Torrential rains dover a period of over 48 hours incessantly disrupted normail life in the metropolis. Mpst of the rods and treet hd water stagnated in the rangwe of 3 to 9 inches, and in some places even more. Schools and Universities have declared third consective day as Holiday as a result of the uprecedented rainfall. Commuting betwen parts of the city takes nearly three times normally required, as a result of slow vehicular movement and traffic-jams aplenty. For more than 12 hours a day, domestic power supply is cut which means no means of entertainmentmnt whatsoever (Sob! sad )

THE HINDU Nov 28, 2008 reports:-

A deep depression over the Bay of Bengal brought torrential rain to Chennai, flooding many areas. The metropolis received 40 cm rain in the 40 hours ended midnight on Thursday. Over 50,000 people were evacuated to relief centres and the a rmed forces were put on alert. The depression is expected to cross the coast of north Tamil Nadu and south Andhra Pradesh by Friday morning. A scene at the arterial Anna Salai-General Patters Road junction on Thursday.

It appears to me that if one wants to make progress in mathematics, one should study the masters and not the pupils. - Niels Henrik Abel.

Nothing is better than reading and gaining more and more knowledge - Stephen William Hawking.

#2 2008-11-28 08:58:44

MathsIsFun
Administrator

Re: Rain batters Chennai

Wow! And how did it affect you?

"The physicists defer only to mathematicians, and the mathematicians defer only to God ..."  - Leon M. Lederman

#3 2008-11-28 19:32:35

Jai Ganesh
Administrator

Knee-deep water outside home and in and around a radius of 2 kilometers. A little lesser thereafter. I haven't been riding my bike for a few months, I use the taxicab or the companies being audited send their vehicles to my home. The worst part happened on Thursday evening, I was about 10 kilometers away from home checking the accounts of TCS (Tata Consultancy). The vehicle picked me up at at around 5.45 PM and I reached home four hours later, at around 9.45 PM. The traffic congestion and overflowing rain water meant I couldn't travel through any of the three Road subways(with Railway track at ground level). My boss is understandking and a perfect gentleman, he never says a word when occasionally I am late. On the other hand, he asks me to take adequate rest!

Cuddalore (where I worked during 2006-07) and Nagapattinam (where I worked during 1992-94) are two of the worst districts affected, as in the case of Tsunami.
The death toll as a result of the downpour has touched the 100 mark and relief measures are being carried out.

The only silver lining is that Chennai and the rest of Tamilnadu may not have any water shortage until June, 2009.

It appears to me that if one wants to make progress in mathematics, one should study the masters and not the pupils. - Niels Henrik Abel.

Nothing is better than reading and gaining more and more knowledge - Stephen William Hawking.

#4 2008-11-28 22:24:43

MathsIsFun
Administrator

Nature is so powerful ... easily bringing chaos to a large city.

Sorry to hear about the death toll. But adequate water may save lives to compensate.

On a side note ... you are involved with auditing TCS? They are pretty big, aren't they? And part of the huge Tata Group.

"The physicists defer only to mathematicians, and the mathematicians defer only to God ..."  - Leon M. Lederman

#5 2008-11-28 23:02:29

Jai Ganesh
Administrator

Thats right, MathsIsFun. That was only for a period of two days. I should say my job is really pretty interesting. A few months back we had been to THE HINDU. And before that Lucas TVS. But my stint in Audit would be for just about 5 months more as I would be completing two years. Thereafter, I may probably be posted to a Service Tax Division/Group. No regrets whatsoever. I prefer sitting in a place instead of going around!

Board footer