Math Is Fun Forum

Discussion about math, puzzles, games and fun.   Useful symbols: ÷ × ½ √ ∞ ≠ ≤ ≥ ≈ ⇒ ± ∈ Δ θ ∴ ∑ ∫ • π ƒ -¹ ² ³ °

You are not logged in.

#1 2008-11-22 22:26:41

Jai Ganesh
Administrator

Cat and the mice

There are a certain number of mice in one corner of a room. A cate enters the room and all the mice run to the next corner of the room and in the process they double in number. The cat goes to that corner and eats a certain number of mice. The remaining mice run towards the third corner of the room and again double in number in the process. The cat goes to the third corner and eats the same number of mice as it did in the second. The remaining mice run to the fourth corner, that is from where they started, and again double in number in the process. The cate comes to the fourth corner and eats the same number of mice as it did in the second and third. There are no mice remaining.

How many minimum number of mice were present initially and how many minimum number of mice did the cat eat in each corner of the room?

It appears to me that if one wants to make progress in mathematics, one should study the masters and not the pupils. - Niels Henrik Abel.

Nothing is better than reading and gaining more and more knowledge - Stephen William Hawking.

#2 2008-11-23 02:02:28

mathsyperson

Re: Cat and the mice

Why did the vector cross the road?
It wanted to be normal.

#3 2008-11-23 17:27:56

Jai Ganesh
Administrator

Thats an interesting solution to the problem, however I never thought of that! If I modify the problem that there actually a certain number of mice in the first corner, could someone work out the solution?

It appears to me that if one wants to make progress in mathematics, one should study the masters and not the pupils. - Niels Henrik Abel.

Nothing is better than reading and gaining more and more knowledge - Stephen William Hawking.

#4 2008-11-23 20:44:34

mathsyperson

I think

is it.

Why did the vector cross the road?
It wanted to be normal.

#5 2008-11-24 00:15:49

Jai Ganesh
Administrator

That is perfectly right, mathsyperson!
Well done!

Board footer