Math Is Fun Forum

Discussion about math, puzzles, games and fun.   Useful symbols: ÷ × ½ √ ∞ ≠ ≤ ≥ ≈ ⇒ ± ∈ Δ θ ∴ ∑ ∫ • π ƒ -¹ ² ³ °

You are not logged in.

#1 2008-10-22 20:27:01

Zach-Sutton

New member first post.

Hi all.

This is my first post on this forum.
however, I have been using forums for a while now. I love THEM!
They are the best place to find honest impartial advice in these modern times.
for this reason alone I am going to ask your advice on a matter that is on my mind.

I have received an email from an overseas investor informing me that he has a large sum of money that he intends to transfer into my account as soon as I supply him with my details. Obviously I am reluctant do so because of the potential tax implications. does anyone on this forum know if I am liable to pay tax on a large cash transfer from overseas?
Obviously I am more than willing to pay for your advice. (In the near future I am going to be very comfortable, financially speaking).
Also because... and I don't know if I should even say this... I don't think I am even the intended person for this money. Am I wrong to except a large amount of money intended for someone else?

I have been in a similar situation once before. Barclays bank placed £10 in to my student account by accident. I quickly moved it to my savings. when they asked for it back I said that I had spent it. That was the end of the matter. Obviously It is going to be tricky to convince someone that I have already spent 6.2 million dollars. but I think that the same rules should apply.
I was later informed that someone lost their job because of the mistake with my bank account. But I didn't ask them to move that money to my account! not really my problem.

Anyway... as I was saying. I find forums to be a great way to get information.
Your input would be greatly apreciated.

-Z Sutton

#2 2008-10-22 22:45:06

MathsIsFun
Administrator

Re: New member first post.

Sounds like the "Nigerian scam"

Can be very dangerous.

See: http://www.419eater.com/ (amongst others)

And .. welcome!

"The physicists defer only to mathematicians, and the mathematicians defer only to God ..."  - Leon M. Lederman

#3 2008-10-23 00:37:50

Zach-Sutton

Thank you for your concern.

I had a look at that site I don't really see a connection.
Without giving too much away my contact is in another part of the world entirely.
I don't think I would trust anyone from region anyway.

Rest assured I am extremely careful with my money. I am not the kind of person that would walk into a scam (I think the fact that I am asking these kinds of questions in the first place should illustrate that fact)

In fact I have dealt with internet "scams" on a couple of occasion. I was once groomed by what I later found out was a Guatemalan prostitution syndicate.
I do not want to go into the in's and outs of it. But I recognised the tell tell signs that something was amiss and ended the relationship with the woman that I loved.

I have also been involved with various suspicious characters on Ebay. I again I will not go into details (One of the cases is still under investigation)
I will say this, If you agree to pay 3.72 for a novelty Toby jug. Shipping and handling costs should NOT amount to £15.40.

I would also like to thank you for your heartfelt welcome to the forum. I have been a keep Mathem'amateur (a work of my own invention) for some years now.
I often visit your website when I am at the local library. (I do have a private internet connection at home but I like the atmosphere)
I have often been shushed because of an amusing comment has made me chuckle. Congratulations on your sterling work maintaining such I fine Site.

#4 2008-10-23 05:14:42

Ricky

Am I wrong to except a large amount of money intended for someone else?

Yes.  It is stealing to falsely represent yourself in order to gain someone's trust with the end goal of taking their money.  It is morally, ethically, and criminally wrong to do so.

But more importantly, they are not looking to give you any money.  They are only looking to steal your identity so that they can take your money and ruin your credit.  This is a scam, and you will be broke if you go forward with it.

These emails come from all parts of the world, not only Nigeria.  They come in all forms.  I've gotten several from the UK as well.

Again: You will be taken advantage of if you give them personal or banking information.

I have been in a similar situation once before. Barclays bank placed £10 in to my student account by accident. I quickly moved it to my savings. when they asked for it back I said that I had spent it. That was the end of the matter. Obviously It is going to be tricky to convince someone that I have already spent 6.2 million dollars. but I think that the same rules should apply.

The same rules almost never apply to 6.2 million dollars.  People get killed over amounts of money like that.  Do you know what you'd be getting yourself into?  The obvious answer to that question is no, since you don't know the people you'd be stealing the money from.

"In the real world, this would be a problem.  But in mathematics, we can just define a place where this problem doesn't exist.  So we'll go ahead and do that now..."

#5 2008-10-23 07:49:33

technique09

Ricky makes a very good point. It is extremely likely it is a scam, and you will end up the looser. You cannot compare a mistake of £10 with 6.2 million dollars. I think you should think again about going ahead with this.

#6 2008-10-23 12:31:43

Flamen

It IS a scam unfortuently. Firstly, how do you think they got your email? WHY you? I bet his address is a hotmail account or something simmilar, and he has gave a big speech on how he trusts you etc etc... I get about 5 of these per week, thankfully they all go to my junk folder smile

"Adolph KaboreDear director.It is my pleasure to contact you for a business venture which I intend to establish and on Purchase of Properties in company in your country.There is this amount of eighteen million U.S dollars ($18,000,000.00) which was dormant in my department by one of our late deceased customer after his death.Thought he deposited it for a valuable project, and as soon as I have discovered over since last year and non of his families was aware of this fund, I have made my mind to look for a foreigner realtors company director who will assist me by processing the fund transfer out of the bank directly into your company care so that I will use my share on purchasing of land properties in your company.Further more, I will agree 40% for your company as 50% will be for my project and 10% will be for expenses like our calling and any other expenses which will come over during the process.I have decided to invest this money anywhere safe enough outside our Country for security and political reasons.Therefore, I want you to help me to transfer this fund from here into your company for investment purposes on these areas were tax will not be much.If you can be of an assistance to me, I will be pleased to offer to you 40% of the total fund.I await your soonest response. For more information.Respectfully yours,Mr.Adolph Kabore"

I got that in my junk yesterday.

#7 2008-10-24 09:15:27

Zach-Sutton

I have read all of your comments. I thank you all for your advice and frank objections to the venture. I understand that being contacted by a stranger and being asked to receive a great deal of money may seem a little strange to the passer by.

I have also read the accusations that basically boil down to calling me a common thief. I must tell you that I object to this. I have never stolen anything in my life. Nothing of real value anyway.

To prove that my intentions are honorable and to skwash any hint of suspicion towards the Proposed business venture. I have emailed the foreign investor asking for some business references.
I have also included a full introduction to myself stating that the original Email (electronic mail) was the first time that I heard of the transaction. (I hope I haven’t blown it). Now if I get the money I can rest assured that it was indeed intended for me. If it doesn’t work out, I may be regretting this for the rest of my (quite probably, miserable) life.
May I request that you supply me with the contact details for Mr. A Kabore?

Thank you fellow Mathem’amateurs.

-Zach

p.s.

(to follow up on my previous post. I have been informed that I will receive the Toby jug for a payment of 4.92. you can be sure that as soon as it arrives I will be recommending that eBay ban the seller!)

#8 2008-10-24 13:27:03

Ricky

I have also read the accusations that basically boil down to calling me a common thief.

No, I said that if you stole their money, then you would be a thief.  If you're offended by that, I can't really offer you any help except to maybe references to various dictionaries tongue

But more over to the point, I was attempting to convince you that what your doing is wrong, not only because you will be taken advantage of.  By being honest, what you are no longer doing wrong, but you still will be had anyways.

I again implore you to reconsider your dealing with complete stangers.  You never share bank account information with your friend, why would you do so with someone who does know you.  Please think!  If it sounds too good, it probably isn't true.  And this is no different.  Research internet scams, look at various fraudsters attempts to get people's information, and compare for yourself.  You will see clear as day that this is a scam.

But more importantly, please post the full email here.  You may leave off the email address, in fact, I would ask you to do so.

"In the real world, this would be a problem.  But in mathematics, we can just define a place where this problem doesn't exist.  So we'll go ahead and do that now..."

#9 2008-10-24 17:13:53

MathsIsFun
Administrator

Like Ricky I feel this is something you should totally avoid. Don't even respond. They are very experienced at doing this, and have a way of getting you more and more involved until you are at great risk.

"The physicists defer only to mathematicians, and the mathematicians defer only to God ..."  - Leon M. Lederman

#10 2017-06-06 16:02:40

Monox D. I-Fly

Zach-Sutton wrote:

Now if I get the money I can rest assured that it was indeed intended for me. If it doesn’t work out, I may be regretting this for the rest of my (quite probably, miserable) life.

So, did you get the money or regret the rest of your life?

Actually I never watch Star Wars and not interested in it anyway, but I choose a Yoda card as my avatar in honor of our great friend bobbym who has passed away.
May his adventurous soul rest in peace at heaven.

Board footer