Math Is Fun Forum

Discussion about math, puzzles, games and fun.   Useful symbols: ÷ × ½ √ ∞ ≠ ≤ ≥ ≈ ⇒ ± ∈ Δ θ ∴ ∑ ∫ • π ƒ -¹ ² ³ °

You are not logged in.

#1 2008-10-04 01:58:22

Chewy

LHC (Large Hadron Collider)

I was wondering if anyone has any thoughts to share about the LHC - Large Hadron Collider ?

Personally, I have mixed feelings...

On one hand, I find it extremely interesting that scientists, mathematicians, and others are breaking interesting ground in science. On the other hand, the expense !  $ 8 billion

Do you think it is worth it ?

#2 2008-10-04 02:01:18

luca-deltodesco

Re: LHC (Large Hadron Collider)

8 billino isn't all that much, look at the bail-out plan in america that's been signed, 700billion ;p

besides, without scientific advancement were would our civilisation be? It is always in these experimentas that seem to have absolutely no practical use that end up being the most important advancements; think about quantum physics' implications; the creation of the transistor!

Last edited by luca-deltodesco (2008-10-04 02:02:23)

The Beginning Of All Things To End.
The End Of All Things To Come.

#3 2008-10-04 02:02:31

Chewy

Some links :

http://lhc.web.cern.ch/lhc/

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Large_Hadron_Collider

(Funny) >  http://www.sciam.com/blog/60-second-science/post.cfm?id=how-long-would-it-take-the-lhc-to-d-2008-09-10

#4 2008-10-04 02:04:05

Chewy

luca-deltodesco wrote:

8 billino isn't all that much, look at the bail-out plan in america that's been signed, 700billion ;p

besides, without scientific advancement were would our civilisation be? It is always in these experimentas that seem to have absolutely no practical use that end up being the most important advancements; think about quantum physics' implications; the creation of the transistor!

LOL My gooberment is whacked sometimes LOL !

#5 2008-10-04 02:05:25

Chewy

I agree Luca, we as mankind need to stretch the limits, and thanks for responding big_smile

#6 2008-10-04 05:58:26

Identity

Some advanced military aircraft can cost a few billion dollars, so constructing the LHC is definitely a step in the right direction.

#7 2008-10-04 11:02:55

MathsIsFun
Administrator

Who knows what mysteries may be uncovered? And what advancements that may result down the track.

Plus it gives employment to lots of needy scientists smile

"The physicists defer only to mathematicians, and the mathematicians defer only to God ..."  - Leon M. Lederman

#8 2008-10-04 12:04:49

Chewy

LOL MathsIsFun ! Those needy scientists...yeah, they gotta have jobs too ! wink I am glad that they are conducting these experiments, and it will be exciting to see if they can "pull it off", to "recreate" the split-second moments after the Big Bang. Maybe the Big Bang will be totally dismissed after, and some whole new theories will come out of it.

I saw on 60 Minutes (American TV) that in just the first few days after the initial collisions are executed, there will be 10 times more information than is already on the World Wide Web ! And that it will take several years to possibly get any discerning information from the data collected.

I also read today that there is a big problem with liquid Helium leakage. Anyone check out the third link I posted yet ? It talks about how long it would take the LHC to defrost a pizza ! lol

Last edited by Chewy (2008-10-04 12:06:34)

#9 2008-10-04 12:23:54

Chewy

According to the article found at the third link, it would take 30 nanoseconds ! Now THAT is definitely worth it !

#10 2008-10-04 17:49:52

Tigeree

wots a Large Hadron Collider? sleep

People don't notice whether it's winter or summer when they're happy.
~ Anton Chekhov
Cheer up, emo kid.

#11 2008-10-04 21:25:13

MathsIsFun
Administrator

Read Here: http://public.web.cern.ch/public/en/LHC/LHC-en.html

"Our understanding of the Universe is about to change...

The Large Hadron Collider (LHC) is a gigantic scientific instrument near Geneva, where it spans the border between Switzerland and France about 100 m underground."

"The physicists defer only to mathematicians, and the mathematicians defer only to God ..."  - Leon M. Lederman

#12 2008-10-04 23:17:33

Chewy

Tigeree wrote:

wots a Large Hadron Collider? sleep

Tigeree, apparently you didn't see my URL's in my post earlier in this thread. I will repost them:

http://lhc.web.cern.ch/lhc/

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Large_Hadron_Collider

(Funny) >  http://www.sciam.com/blog/60-second-science/post.cfm?id=how-long-would-it-take-the-lhc-to-d-2008-09-10

#13 2008-10-05 20:10:58

Tigeree

I can't b bothered looking at those just explain it 2 me.

~ Anton Chekhov
Cheer up, emo kid.

#14 2008-10-06 08:28:07

Chewy

Tigeree wrote:

I can't b bothered looking at those just explain it 2 me.

If I thought you had even a passing interest, I would think you would look them up. I can't be bothered if you don't at least look....

#15 2008-10-06 18:40:57

Tigeree

big_smile ur right I have absolutely no interest ... just curiosity.
But fine. If u insist. I will look at them. rolleyes

~ Anton Chekhov
Cheer up, emo kid.

#16 2008-10-06 18:52:12

Tigeree

I looked it up on wiki but I still couldn't be bothered reading it.

But still u said I should at least look. and I looked. didn't I? 
But anyway.....

Truce?

~ Anton Chekhov
Cheer up, emo kid.

#17 2008-10-07 09:12:35

Chewy

Tigeree wrote:

I looked it up on wiki but I still couldn't be bothered reading it.

But still u said I should at least look. and I looked. didn't I? 
But anyway.....

Truce?

Well apparently you did look, AFTER I asked you too. My point here is, if the information is presented to you, and you have a chance to learn something, maybe just try it first before asking someone to explain it. When you say you can't be bothered, it is bothersome for someone to explain it all when you didn't try. You did look after I asked you too, so 'nuff said....

The Large Hadron Collider is an underground circular tunnel-shaped apparatus that scientists and engineers have built in Switzerland to basically recreate the first few nanoseconds after the Big Bang, you know, the "creation" of the universe. ("Creation" I put in quotes, because of course everyone has some - or no - opinion of the how the universe all started).

It sends one proton in one direction around the circlular machine (this thing is 17 miles in circumference - I don't know what that is in kilometers right off without calculating it). The machine simultaneously sends a proton in the opposite direction, and the two particles collide. They smash into smaller particles that scientists hope will expose the Higgs particle, which a certain guy named Higgs theorized was the smallest particles that make up everthing matter.

Tigeree, if you have read all this, then great !

I will gladly tell you what I have read about if you are interested. That's the LHC in a nutshell.

Regarding a "truce", there was never a war...I just thought that the best way for someone to learn is to read about it first. That is why I gave the links towards the beginning of this thread, for anyone to read about if they wanted to comment on it, which was my hopes --- to get peoples' opinions on what has been spent on the project: $8 billion dollars.

So far the consensus has been for it, or not exactly against it in comparison to other developments in science. I welcome anyone's opinion !

Last edited by Chewy (2008-10-07 09:13:44)

#18 2008-10-07 17:45:45

Tigeree

Thank u, Chewy! smile thats all I needed 2 know. kiss  Even tho I already knew most of it. I didn't know that it waz called the Large Hadron Collider. I normally just refered it as the black hole machine or something lyk that. Or possibly a doomsday device.....

~ Anton Chekhov
Cheer up, emo kid.

#19 2008-10-08 21:57:11

Chewy

smile

Some people have expressed concern that the LHC could create a black hole and swallow up the Earth. Seems like quite a stretch of the imagination, but who knows what could happen. This kind of thing hasn't been done before. There are several other colliders around the world, but this is the biggest one yet.

#20 2008-10-09 00:06:58

G_Einstein

I don't think that the possibilty of creating a black hole is high,bevause,even so,it will "exist" just few seconds,and I think that the experiment that theyr are doing,it's a very imoprtatnt experiments.It can gave us a lot of explaination about how the univers is created.

Se Zoti vete e tha me goje,se kombet shuhen permbi dhe,por SHqiperia do te roje,per te,per te luftojme ne.
God said that all nation exincts on the ground,but Albania will survive,for it,for it we are fighting.

#21 2008-10-09 18:13:23

Tigeree

Yeah , I waz at work 1 day and every1 was saying 'oh we're gunna die! we're gunna die!' but no1 really knew wot waz going on. Then our boss explained wot happened.
But before that I asked my friend y every1 waz saying we're gunna die and he's lyk 'blackhole' and then im lyk this hmm and 'woteva' and then i saw  on the news bout the big-bang-er thing and..... yeah.

~ Anton Chekhov
Cheer up, emo kid.

#22 2008-10-09 23:24:27

MathsIsFun
Administrator

Well ... they did start it for a short while, and now all the stock markets have imploded ...

Just Kidding!

#23 2008-10-10 08:07:14

integer

The most important result of the LHC [Large Hadron Collider] will be our ability to phrase the questions better.  Better questions seem to provide better answers.

We really do not know what questions we need to ask.  The LHC will give insight about how the questions could be stated.

We will get an enormous amount of data.  It will be a little bit like getting all the sand on your local beach delivered to your lab, but in manageable boxes.  After examining a few thousand boxes, it may be possible to explain some transformations.  But most likely, we will discover questions that were never thought of.  That's the real value, and it is worth the cost.

#24 2008-10-10 09:36:24

Chewy

integer wrote:

.....We will get an enormous amount of data....

Yes, like I mentioned earlier in this thread, scientists are expecting about 10 times what is already available on the Internet in just something like one day !

Board footer