Math Is Fun Forum

Discussion about math, puzzles, games and fun.   Useful symbols: ÷ × ½ √ ∞ ≠ ≤ ≥ ≈ ⇒ ± ∈ Δ θ ∴ ∑ ∫ • π ƒ -¹ ² ³ °

You are not logged in.

#1 2008-09-10 06:29:11

yuriythebest

grasping lim continuity definitions

right this is really basic but I'm still having trouble grasping it.

continuityhg7.jpg

ok I get rule #1 - in point A the value of f(x) should not be undefined or equal positive or negative infinity.

#2- not really sure about this one- does it mean f(x) should not be "flatlined" at point A?

#3 - ????

#2 2008-09-10 07:13:34

Ricky

Re: grasping lim continuity definitions

1 and 2 are really just so that stating #3 makes sense.  So if you get #3, you should understand them all.

It sounds like you don't know what a limit is.  There are many examples one must see before limits really make sense, and I won't be able to present them all here obviously.  But a limit exists if, as you approach a value from both sides, you get arbitrarily close to a single point.  For example, consider the function:

We can see that:

However, because of the way f(x) is defined, the point x = 1 is undefined.  At x = 1, we get a 0 in the denominator, and we can't divide by 0.  So we have a graph that looks exactly like x-1, except the point (1, 2) is missing from the graph.  But, as x approaches 1, we see that f(x) approaches 2.  The closer and closer our x gets to 1, the closer and closer our function f(x) gets to 2.  We say that the limit as x approaches 1 of f(x) is 2.

Then of course there are right hand and left hand limits, we can go over them if you wish.  The bottom line is that for the limit at a point to exist, it must exist from both the left hand and right hand side, and they must be equal.

So #3 is saying that not only does this limit and f(a) have to exist, but it has to be that the function approaches it's value at a.

"In the real world, this would be a problem.  But in mathematics, we can just define a place where this problem doesn't exist.  So we'll go ahead and do that now..."

#3 2008-09-10 07:19:15

mathsyperson

Ricky beat me. At least I've got the definition here.

The technical definition of a limit goes like this:

In other words, you should be able to get f(x) as close to L as you like by making x get close to a.

3) just means that L from above has to be equal to f(a).

An example of a function that doesn't do that would be:

f(x) = { x if x≠ 0
         { 1 if x = 0.

There, the limit as x approaches 0 is 0, but f(0) = 1.

Last edited by mathsyperson (2008-09-10 09:03:45)

Why did the vector cross the road?
It wanted to be normal.

#4 2008-09-10 07:38:29

Ricky

mathsyperson, students struggle a great deal with epsilon-delta definition after working with the "conceptual" definition of a limit for quite some time.  They won't be able to make heads or tails of the epsilon-delta definition if they don't know the conceptual definition first.

"In the real world, this would be a problem.  But in mathematics, we can just define a place where this problem doesn't exist.  So we'll go ahead and do that now..."

#5 2008-09-10 07:53:51

JaneFairfax

mathsyperson wrote:

Two things. Firstly, you actually want

here, not just
. In other words, x gets close to a but is not equal to a itself.

And secondly, you mean

. tongue

Last edited by JaneFairfax (2008-09-10 07:57:33)

Board footer