Math Is Fun Forum

Discussion about math, puzzles, games and fun.   Useful symbols: ÷ × ½ √ ∞ ≠ ≤ ≥ ≈ ⇒ ± ∈ Δ θ ∴ ∑ ∫ • π ƒ -¹ ² ³ °

You are not logged in.

#1 2006-12-30 13:45:04

MathsIsFun
Administrator

Math Trainer - Multiplication

OK, it has taken me longer than I expected, but I have the Math Trainer - Multiplication ready for testing.

I want to have a description page as well, to explain how and why this works.

The features are:

* Breaks the 10x table into 4 "chunks" (5x, 6x6 to 9x9, etc) so that you can concentrate on getting good one chunk at a time.
* Designed for high speed so that you get lots of practice
* Remembers your performance (during the session, but no between sessions) so that it gives you more practice on your weaknesses
* Shows you the correct answer if you get it wrong
* Timed "Workout" style just like an athlete would use

I would *really* value all feedback so that this becomes a useful tool for all students trying to learn their tables.

"The physicists defer only to mathematicians, and the mathematicians defer only to God ..."  - Leon M. Lederman

#2 2006-12-30 17:29:35

Toast
Real Member

Re: Math Trainer - Multiplication

Wow, I'm luvin it, I think it has a lot of potential. I prefer a set time limit as opposed to a set number of questions, and the multiplication table is a great addition; you can see where you need to improve. I still need to test it more though. up

Do you think it is a good idea to allow 0's to be put in front of answers too? For instance for 8*10 you can also put 080 it's not technically wrong... I don't know.
Also perhaps it'd be a good idea to disable any keys but the number keys to be typed in the box, which will lessen keyboard typos like accidentally pressing the top row of letters or any key which is close to a number. Just a thought.

Last edited by Toast (2006-12-30 23:51:16)

#3 2006-12-30 22:49:21

rida
Real Member

I keep on getting questions wrong because I keep on accidently pressing the spacebar.

Dreams don't come true, you gotta make them come true.

#4 2006-12-31 21:39:53

Devantè
Real Member

You're not supposed to press the spacebar, you're just supposed to enter the answer.

This is an extremely good tool. It shows students how they can improve, and so that they can have fun doing it, too. I definitely think that this is superior to many other 'math trainers' from other websites, as this one seems very user-friendly and easy-to-use.

#5 2006-12-31 23:03:26

MathsIsFun
Administrator

Thanks, Toast, rida and "D"!

Now, I need to know if people are getting actual improvement by using it, over several days.

But don't go crazy ... as it is says, three sessions of 5 minutes a day should be about right, as the brain does some of its learning overnight.

"The physicists defer only to mathematicians, and the mathematicians defer only to God ..."  - Leon M. Lederman

#6 2007-01-01 06:03:33

mathsyperson

I like how the questions it asks you aren't random at first. It asks you each possible question once until it fills up the whole grid, and only then does it start truly throwing them at you randomly. That means that you can set yourself the challenge of filling up an entire grid within x minutes.

I also like how it records your average answering time separately for each different question. That means that you can get a vague sense of which of your tables you might need to work on a bit more. Although a small part of that would be because 144 takes marginally more time to type than 6, for example.

One thing I think could be improved is the aspect of "answer as many questions as fast as you can within a time limit". That puts pressure on you to go really fast, which means that you could start panicking if you get a hard question and maybe make a stupid mistake. So instead of forcing the user to specify a time limit, I would make that optional and include the alternative of a "Zen mode", as it were, where you just answer questions for as long as you like until you get bored. There, the focus would be on accuracy rather than speed.

Why did the vector cross the road?
It wanted to be normal.

#7 2007-01-01 10:52:33

MathsIsFun
Administrator

You are right, mathsy, I fill the grid first, so that I can then choose subsequent questions based on performance.

A "Zen" mode sounds good, some people may wish to train at their own pace. I like the name "Zen", too, but many people may not understand, so "untimed" maybe.

#8 2008-08-03 11:44:37

MathsIsFun
Administrator

I have posted a new version (1.31) of Math Trainer - Multiplication.

It would be nice if some people could check it out in case there are some bugs.

Mathsy: Your "Zen" mode is when minutes=0 ... try it smile

#9 2008-08-03 12:58:59

simron
Real Member

Toast wrote:

Also perhaps it'd be a good idea to disable any keys but the number keys to be typed in the box, which will lessen keyboard typos like accidentally pressing the top row of letters or any key which is close to a number. Just a thought.

I'd agree, except that laptops don't have a keypad (unless you hold the "fn" key down).

Linux FTW

#10 2008-08-04 10:22:20

mathsyperson

Toast probably meant something along the lines of making sure that numbers were the only characters that would be accepted, rather than disabling actual keys.

And yay the Zen mode is here! smile
I like how you've given it special treatment, and made the timer count upwards for it instead of just staying on 0 like would be expected.

Why did the vector cross the road?
It wanted to be normal.

#11 2008-08-04 12:04:03

MathsIsFun
Administrator

Yes ... I felt that counting upwards would be good.

#12 2008-08-05 05:12:28

infinitebrain

this is a neat game!
I love playing it

Last edited by infinitebrain (2008-08-05 05:12:54)

The best thing about life is you don't know what to expect

#13 2008-09-05 06:53:33

Patrick
Real Member

Very nice smile

Support MathsIsFun.com by clicking on the banners.
What music do I listen to? Clicky click

#14 2008-09-05 09:57:58

MathsIsFun
Administrator

Thanks, Patrick!

#15 2009-01-09 07:31:28

lightning
Real Member

i found something wierd in this game, 3x4 i typed in 9 and it said it was right! but it didn't move on to the next Q.

Zappzter - New IM app! Unsure of which room to join? "ZNU" is made to help new users. c:

#16 2009-01-09 10:02:18

MathsIsFun
Administrator

Thanks lightning, I will take a look.

Board footer