Math Is Fun Forum

Discussion about math, puzzles, games and fun.   Useful symbols: ÷ × ½ √ ∞ ≠ ≤ ≥ ≈ ⇒ ± ∈ Δ θ ∴ ∑ ∫ • π ƒ -¹ ² ³ °

You are not logged in.

#1 2008-06-24 01:00:06

JaneFairfax

!"£$%^&*()ing Windows

This morning I found a new update for Windows Vista ready to intall on my computer. It was Vista Service Pack. So I installed it, but to my chagrin, it took one hour to do that. At the end of it, a message came up saying that the installation was not successful, and that the settings would have to be reset. The resetting process took another hour. When my computer was finally booted up again, I found that the sound was no longer working properly. So I had to do a system restore to undo all the stupid changes that had be made this morning– which took something like half an hour. The sound is back to normal now, thankfully.

THANKS A LOT BILL GATES FOR WASTING TWO AND A HALF HOURS OF MY LIFE!! swear

#2 2008-06-24 07:21:26

Ricky

Re: !"£$%^&*()ing Windows

Maybe you should upgrade to XP.

"In the real world, this would be a problem.  But in mathematics, we can just define a place where this problem doesn't exist.  So we'll go ahead and do that now..."

#3 2008-06-24 09:20:53

MathsIsFun
Administrator

That confirms it, then, Vista is not for me.

I am totally happy with XP ... it may not be perfect but it works ... I have no wish to downgrade roll

But what happens when I need a new PC? Or a laptop? It is going to be darned hard to transfer.

"The physicists defer only to mathematicians, and the mathematicians defer only to God ..."  - Leon M. Lederman

#4 2008-06-24 09:49:59

JaneFairfax

My current PC is fairly new as well – I bought it just over a year ago. Before that I was using XP – as I had been doing since 2003 – and had never been happier with it. If only my old PC hadn’t broken down, or if only the cost of repair hadn’t exceeded the cost of a new PC, I’d probably still be happily running XP right now. neutral

#5 2008-06-24 11:34:10

Ricky

If you're replacing a computer, then just install XP on it yourself.  Otherwise, consider investing in a computer building company which leaves your hard drive completely blank, and use the money you saved to buy XP.

It is kind of hard to pass up Dell support if you don't want to or don't know how to deal with computer troubles.

"In the real world, this would be a problem.  But in mathematics, we can just define a place where this problem doesn't exist.  So we'll go ahead and do that now..."

#6 2008-06-24 13:15:09

MathsIsFun
Administrator

If only we could use Linux ... but some of my essential software doesn't work on it.

Example: Dreamweaver (even has troubles installing under "Wine" which is a Windows emulator).

"The physicists defer only to mathematicians, and the mathematicians defer only to God ..."  - Leon M. Lederman

#7 2008-07-15 10:40:26

insomnia
Real Member

The one thing about upgrading to XP from a Vista built machine, alot of the drivers will not work after the upgrade. I've tried upgrading one of our Dell Vista laptops at work, but it just would not accept the XP install. In the end we had to re-install Vista, which is major pain in itself.

I've been using Vista at work for 7/8 months now, and I still prefer using XP. So much more stable and easier to use. No choice really.

My advice, hit it with the biggest hammer you can possibly find. That sorts most of the problems out smile

Friends are angels who lift our feet when our own wings have trouble remembering how to fly

Board footer