Math Is Fun Forum

Discussion about math, puzzles, games and fun.   Useful symbols: ÷ × ½ √ ∞ ≠ ≤ ≥ ≈ ⇒ ± ∈ Δ θ ∴ ∑ ∫ • π ƒ -¹ ² ³ °

You are not logged in.

#1 2008-06-28 09:12:18

mikau

installing C++ libraries

When I install a new library, I am typically given a folder, with the name of the library, containing a bunch of subfolders, with names like: builds, src,  docs, include and others.

Now I understand these files need to be compiled and some files created or moved into the appropriate directories, but precisely how you do this, I don't know. Usually I Google walk-throughs  on the web for how to install a particular library, but it seems to be a different process every time. Furthermore, often they suggest  you install something else just to enable the installation.

Isn't there any standard method of distributing and installing a library in C++? Why do I have to learn a new dance every time?

A logarithm is just a misspelled algorithm.

#2 2008-06-28 20:36:14

mikau

Re: installing C++ libraries

Is it not possible to, for instance, copy the folder of a new library into your particular projects folder, and compile and access the library exclusively in that project?

#3 2008-07-01 09:52:44

mikau

Thanks for the response!

Yes, I've noticed makefile's typically appear. I opened the readme of a particular library and it gives instructions for Unix installation, and says the process can be emulated for mac or windows. Not sure what that means, though.

In any case, configure, make, and make install. Can you tell me where I can learn how to perform these three steps?

I really know very little about command line processing, which I think is what this is.

#4 2010-04-06 15:59:42

kendricktamis

I am struck in a very weird situation and would be glad if anyone can guide me in the right direction.

I have two libraries, PRL and miracl. ( Both C++)
Now, the PRL is based on miracl code, i.e. it uses functions and headers from miracl library.
miracl library is windows based, and by following the instructions, I was able to build the object file library in VS 2005 ( VC++). But, PRL is Linux based.

My problem is how can I compile PRL under VS 2005, or maybe another software under windows. I have the miracl object file library but cannot use it with the PRL code. As soon as i try to run PRL code in windows, it throws numerous syntax errors, as if it's not C++ at all.

I am not able to get the correct way of working this out.

#5 2010-12-26 20:50:18

Peter8Milon

To compile PRL under 2005, VCE2005 will not be supported, you need to install SRK..may it works for miracle object file too..Miracle C Compiler runs under MS-Windows. 
Go through Miracle C Installation and Use Guide, it'll help you.

Board footer