Math Is Fun Forum

Discussion about math, puzzles, games and fun.   Useful symbols: ÷ × ½ √ ∞ ≠ ≤ ≥ ≈ ⇒ ± ∈ Δ θ ∴ ∑ ∫ • π ƒ -¹ ² ³ °

You are not logged in.

#1 2008-06-24 04:20:13

Luke1805

Fractions homework

I originally posted this in another post about fractions but i didn't know if it would be answered there, as the original question in that post has been answered so there would be no need to look at it. Anyway, apologies if my original question has been answered but here it is

hi, i have to do a leaflet/poster on adding, subtracting, multiplying and dividing fractions for the year below to help them remember for their Key Stage 3 curriculum tests. Problem: i just know the rules off by heart, i have since i was like 12 (maybe an exaggeration), does anyone know any tricks to help remember these rules.  please reply, the homework is due next monday, the 30th June if you're in the future. (if you are, don't bother helping, i would have already handed it in.) ok. tongue

#2 2008-06-24 13:10:04

John E. Franklin

Re: Fractions homework

The denominator is the bottom, and it should be the same for all
adding and subtracting.  To remember this, you should try to
break the rule and see it doesn't work. 
Try 3/4 - 1/2.    3  minus 1 is 2.    So answer is 2 / #.  What is #?
Draw a pie or look at a ruler and the answer is 1/4 which is 2/8.
Seems weird.

Now for dividing fractions, I just flip over one of the two fractions and then multiply.
Is that what you do?

igloo myrtilles fourmis

#3 2008-06-25 03:32:45

Luke1805

Yes, thanks, I do the same, easy peasy. I chose to demonstrate this by saying
1/2 +1/3, is more than a half, think of it logically,
so the answer cant be 2/5, or 1/6, they're less than half.

I put that in my homework big_smile

Though i have already done my homework, if someone has a really good idea for remembering the rules, don't hesitste to say, thank you.

#4 2017-05-23 16:18:03

Monox D. I-Fly

For addition: Add the numerators and multiply the denominators, then simplify.

Actually I never watch Star Wars and not interested in it anyway, but I choose a Yoda card as my avatar in honor of our great friend bobbym who has passed away.
May his adventurous soul rest in peace at heaven.

Board footer