Math Is Fun Forum

Discussion about math, puzzles, games and fun.   Useful symbols: ÷ × ½ √ ∞ ≠ ≤ ≥ ≈ ⇒ ± ∈ Δ θ ∴ ∑ ∫ • π ƒ -¹ ² ³ °

You are not logged in.

#1 2008-05-19 04:13:22

luca-deltodesco

problem doing summation

I'm having troubles doing this sum as part of a past paper im doing for exam friday.

Theres an image of a region of the graph y = 3^x between 0 and 1 with a set of strips shown beneath the curve with width 'h' so that nh = 1 where n is the number of strips

i) By using the set of rectangles indicated on the diagram show that A > 2h/(3^h - 1) where A is area of the curve between 0 and 1

Now, summing the areas of the strips, i get h(1+3^h + 3^2h .... + 3^[h(n-1)]) but im having trouble trying to get that to be 2h/(3^h - 1)

I know how to sum a geometric series from way back in the modules, but if i plug it in here i get.

Have i done something wrong, because i cannot find a way of equating that to the expression given.

Last edited by luca-deltodesco (2008-05-19 04:13:36)

The Beginning Of All Things To End.
The End Of All Things To Come.

#2 2008-05-19 04:37:04

Identity

Re: problem doing summation

luca-deltodesco wrote:

I'm having troubles doing this sum as part of a past paper im doing for exam friday.

Theres an image of a region of the graph y = 3^x between 0 and 1 with a set of strips shown beneath the curve with width 'h' so that nh = 1 where n is the number of strips

i) By using the set of rectangles indicated on the diagram show that A > 2h/(3^h - 1) where A is area of the curve between 0 and 1

Now, summing the areas of the strips, i get h(1+3^h + 3^2h .... + 3^[h(n-1)]) but im having trouble trying to get that to be 2h/(3^h - 1)

I know how to sum a geometric series from way back in the modules, but if i plug it in here i get.

Have i done something wrong, because i cannot find a way of equating that to the expression given.

Your sum is:

But nh=1 => h=1/n

I don't get how you did it tongue

Last edited by Identity (2008-05-19 04:38:42)

#3 2008-05-19 05:14:03

luca-deltodesco

Re: problem doing summation

i see now, i was trying to put it into a form where the ratio was a single number, i had r = 3^h at first, but thought, that can't be right, forgetting that 'h' is known tongue thanks.

The Beginning Of All Things To End.
The End Of All Things To Come.

Board footer