Math Is Fun Forum

Discussion about math, puzzles, games and fun.   Useful symbols: ÷ × ½ √ ∞ ≠ ≤ ≥ ≈ ⇒ ± ∈ Δ θ ∴ ∑ ∫ • π ƒ -¹ ² ³ °

You are not logged in.

#1 2008-05-17 12:31:56

simron
Real Member

"Last Posted" Weirdness

When I looked at the "Exercises" forum, it said that JaneFairfax was the last posted. Intrigued (because I had just posted a Legrange Polynomial Interpolation excersise and she wasn't on at the time), I went into the forum. At the top (other than the sticky, which she was not on the "last posted" for) , it had "Legrange Polynomial Interpolation Exercises" by Simron-0 replies-Last post: Simron. What gives? This is not a cache issue, because I've seen this on a lot of computers when I log in. And one other thing to notice is that the "Exercises" forum is the only forum it happens on.

Last edited by simron (2008-05-18 01:54:04)

Linux FTW

#2 2008-05-17 17:49:10

Jai Ganesh
Administrator

Re: "Last Posted" Weirdness

Yes simron,
You are right! I too looked for the post by JaneFairfax in Exercises. It wasn't there in the latest posts. But I haven't noticed this kind of a thing under any other head. I guess MathsIsFun would have to look into it.

It appears to me that if one wants to make progress in mathematics, one should study the masters and not the pupils. - Niels Henrik Abel.

Nothing is better than reading and gaining more and more knowledge - Stephen William Hawking.

#3 2008-05-17 20:25:13

MathsIsFun
Administrator

She was the last post, but the topics are in "first created" order, not "last posted" order, so you need to look through all topics to find Jane's post.

"The physicists defer only to mathematicians, and the mathematicians defer only to God ..."  - Leon M. Lederman

#4 2008-05-18 01:55:27

simron
Real Member

Hmm. Why does a post jump to the top when it's been posted in? And why does it seem to be "last posted" order on all of the other boards?

Linux FTW

#5 2008-05-18 02:52:43

mathsyperson

It's last posted on most boards because that's the most convenient way of doing things.

The exercises board is intentionally different because the idea was that MIF would create a bunch of topics such that they'd appear in alphabetical order and stay that way, so it'd be easy to find a certain subject. It worked for a while, but now there are so many other topics there that the alphabetic ones aren't on the first page anymore.

Why did the vector cross the road?
It wanted to be normal.

Board footer