Math Is Fun Forum

Discussion about math, puzzles, games and fun.   Useful symbols: ÷ × ½ √ ∞ ≠ ≤ ≥ ≈ ⇒ ± ∈ Δ θ ∴ ∑ ∫ • π ƒ -¹ ² ³ °

You are not logged in.

#1 2008-02-20 13:37:47

dchilow

Help with Real analysis.

I am having trouble with a couple of problems on my practice homework, could someone please help me figure these out, thanks.

1)  For each pair of sets, find an explicit one-to-one correspondence between them.  That is, find a one-to-one and onto function that maps one set onto the other.

(a) The even positive integers and the odd positive integers.

(b) The interval (-1,1) and the interval (0,1).

(c) The interval (-∞,∞) and the interval (-1,1).

(d) The interval (0,1) and the interval [0,1].

2)  Let S be a nonempty set of real numbers that is bounded above.  Let B=supS and let E>0 be a constant.

(a) Suppose that B is not an element of S.  Prove that the set A={x∈S:x>B-E} is infinite.

(b) Give an example in which the set A is countably infinite, and another example in which A is uncountably infinite.

Please help, I would greatly appreciate it.

#2 2008-02-20 14:48:31

JaneFairfax

Re: Help with Real analysis.

In what follows, f is a function from the first set to the second set. I will give you the examples and leave you to prove that the functions are injective and surjective.

(a)

(b)

(c)

(d)

(a)
Note that BE < B is not an upper bound of S. Hence

But BS, so s[sub]1[/sub] ≠ B. So s[sub]1[/sub] < B. Then s[sub]1[/sub] is not an upper bound of S and so

Again s[sub]2[/sub] < B because BS, so s[sub]2[/sub] is not an upper bound of S and so

Continuing this way we get an infinite subset

of A. Since
is infinite, so is A.

(b)
Take

Then

, and A is uncountably infinite. To make A countably infinite, take

Last edited by JaneFairfax (2008-02-20 14:53:26)

Board footer