Math Is Fun Forum

Discussion about math, puzzles, games and fun.   Useful symbols: ÷ × ½ √ ∞ ≠ ≤ ≥ ≈ ⇒ ± ∈ Δ θ ∴ ∑ ∫ • π ƒ -¹ ² ³ °

You are not logged in.

#1 2008-01-25 09:19:07

ErikH2000

Hello plus wanted to talk to an admin.

Hi, people! 

This is Erik Hermansen.  I wrote a game called DROD that some people here have enjoyed.  I'm a math weakling really, but have done a fair amount of exploration with logic puzzles and games.

To be perfectly honest, I came here to promote a math-related contest running from my site.  But I don't want to be perceived as a spammer or cause anyone to be upset.    I will definitely not post my announcement unless I have an okay.

I looked around a bit for someone to contact about it, but...  I dunno who that is.  I will check back here for replies, and anyone may e-mail me at erikh@caravelgames.com as well to say, "yeah, go ahead", "naw, we don't want that", or "what are you up to anyhow?".

-Erik

#2 2008-01-25 09:42:09

JaneFairfax

Re: Hello plus wanted to talk to an admin.

MathsIsFun is the admin.

#3 2008-01-25 09:46:53

ErikH2000

But how could I contact MathsIsFun?  I looked up the member profile earlier and there aren't any ways (that I can see) to e-mail him or her.

-Erik

#4 2008-01-25 09:47:15

MathsIsFun
Administrator

Sure ... tell us all about it. Include a link if you like.

"The physicists defer only to mathematicians, and the mathematicians defer only to God ..."  - Leon M. Lederman

#5 2008-01-25 10:03:22

ErikH2000

Alright, thanks, M!

The contest is to create a new numeral system which can be used to represent numbers between 1 and 29.5 quintillion (29.5 x 10^18).  The numeral system doesn't have to use the familiar Latin glyphs "0" through "9" necessarily.  People are making systems that depict numbers with interesting combinations of lines, dots, letters, digits, and other symbols.  There are 4 tests applied to the invented numeral system:

1. "Tattoo" Test (Aesthetics)
2. "Drawn in Blood" Test (Elegance)
3. "math Napkin" Test (Encodability)
4. "Hey, I Know You" Test (Decodability)

A lot of people have started already, but there is still plenty of time (as I write this) to meet the entry deadline on February 17th.

For the full set of rules:
http://forum.caravelgames.com/viewtopic.php?TopicID=19559

I am happy to answer questions and comments on this forum, too.

-Erik

Board footer