Math Is Fun Forum

Discussion about math, puzzles, games and fun.   Useful symbols: ÷ × ½ √ ∞ ≠ ≤ ≥ ≈ ⇒ ± ∈ Δ θ ∴ ∑ ∫ • π ƒ -¹ ² ³ °

You are not logged in.

#1 2007-12-04 05:30:57

mikau

math notation in Excel

I have to type up a list of math definitions for a linear algebra extra credit assignment, we're supposed to follow a strict format for the tables and in one box we are supposed to put the notation for a given item if one exists. Problem is I can't seem to find one for 'isomorphic' the symbol looks like an an equals sign, only the top line is curly, as in ≈

i found some sites that have math symbols but when i try to paste them in they usually turn into something else. sad I tried to talk to my teacher about this but he reccomends i use different software. Given the amount of time until the assignment is due, i don't think i have enough time to start over with a different program.

I THINK if I can find a unicode character for isomorphic, excel will probably recognize it. Only unicode has like 64 thousand characters so I don't know if its there.

A logarithm is just a misspelled algorithm.

#2 2007-12-04 08:16:30

NullRoot

Re: math notation in Excel

My guess would be that Excel keeps changing the font of what you're pasting in. Have you tried using the Character Map application to copy the symbol from the Arial font set? I think it's U+2248.

Hope that helps?

Trillian: Five to one against and falling. Four to one against and falling… Three to one, two, one. Probability factor of one to one. We have normality. I repeat, we have normality. Anything you still can’t cope with is therefore your own problem.

Board footer