Math Is Fun Forum

Discussion about math, puzzles, games and fun.   Useful symbols: ÷ × ½ √ ∞ ≠ ≤ ≥ ≈ ⇒ ± ∈ Δ θ ∴ ∑ ∫ • π ƒ -¹ ² ³ °

You are not logged in.

#1 2007-11-20 00:33:33

NullRoot

Hello Everyone

Hello, all. I've browsed these forums a few times before and thought I might sign up.

I've got a fairly diverse background in Maths (which is a long story, so I'll skip it) and look forward to adding an unorthodox input to things.

Take the name/avatar for instance. It was a response to a teacher who noted that when x° is evaluated, the original value of x is generally lost, to which I jokingly replied from the middle of the class, "No, it's fine, just take the null root!"

He was bemused anyway and we spent about 30 minutes examining the implications of °√x°. Perhaps a topic for some other time? big_smile

Trillian: Five to one against and falling. Four to one against and falling… Three to one, two, one. Probability factor of one to one. We have normality. I repeat, we have normality. Anything you still can’t cope with is therefore your own problem.

#2 2007-11-20 08:08:58

MathsIsFun
Administrator

Re: Hello Everyone

Hiya NullRoot, and welcome!

NullRoot wrote:

I've got a fairly diverse background in Maths (which is a long story, so I'll skip it) ...

I would like to know the long story smile

"The physicists defer only to mathematicians, and the mathematicians defer only to God ..."  - Leon M. Lederman

#3 2007-11-27 02:05:30

NullRoot

Sorry, Maths. Hadn't realised you'd replied. smile

Actually, I'm sure I can give you a short, but informative, description.

My High School covered me for Chemistry, Physics, (basic) Trig and Calc.
I then did a couple years which covered general Pure Math, Applied Math, Statistics, and some programming.
Absolutely nothing for another couple of years. smile
And now I'm in the middle of a math degree with probably a 40/60 split between Pure Math and Statistical Analysis.

Trillian: Five to one against and falling. Four to one against and falling… Three to one, two, one. Probability factor of one to one. We have normality. I repeat, we have normality. Anything you still can’t cope with is therefore your own problem.

#4 2007-11-27 08:16:25

mathsyperson

Hey NullRoot. Probably a bit late to welcome you now, but welcome anyway.

I got thinking about your avatar, and realised that a more interesting thing to start thinking about is the null-root of 2.

Why did the vector cross the road?
It wanted to be normal.

#5 2007-11-27 22:40:58

NullRoot

Never too late for a welcome.

Bear in mind the following is silliness. There shall be no seriousness in my Introduction! big_smile

One of the amusing observations about °√x° is that by one of the rules of roots:

which implies the answer is 1 if we show °√x <> 0 because then we could potentially have [(°√x)^y]/[(°√x)^y]

Normally with nth roots of A we can find the answer by solving for x in: x^n - A = 0.
If we substitute for °√1, then x° - 1 = 0, which (depending on whether you think 0° is undefined) has all non-zero answers! Thus, we can conclude that °√1 = 1 wink

If we use another x, for instance 2, then it has no real answers. Which would make things more interesting. So, Mathyperson, I invite you to join in with the silly math with your thoughts on °√2, bearing in mind:

Board footer