Math Is Fun Forum

Discussion about math, puzzles, games and fun.   Useful symbols: ÷ × ½ √ ∞ ≠ ≤ ≥ ≈ ⇒ ± ∈ Δ θ ∴ ∑ ∫ • π ƒ -¹ ² ³ °

You are not logged in.

#1 2007-10-28 02:32:52

Ten

Just saying Hi!

Hi!

I hope everyone is well and I look forward to discussing with you all.

I'm something of an aspiring autodidact, which is something I've been working towards for quite some time, although I often lack motivation and focus.

I'm 23 and Maths was always my favourite subject at school, yet that didn't stop me messing around. I'd like to learn more about Maths just out of self-interest. I have some old materials here which I can work through to introduce myself back to the basics. I've also found some good looking websites, like this one, to help learn Mathematics too.

Does anyone have any advice for Maths self-study? It would be nice to hear from others that are doing this also.

All the best! smile

Ten

#2 2007-10-28 08:25:39

MathsIsFun
Administrator

Re: Just saying Hi!

Hi Ten, and welcome ... self education is great!

"The physicists defer only to mathematicians, and the mathematicians defer only to God ..."  - Leon M. Lederman

#3 2007-10-28 11:22:25

mikau

what level of maths have you studied up to, Ten?

For algebra through calculus, i'd highly reccomend the Saxon math series. It was designed for self study and is very rigourous and thorough.

A logarithm is just a misspelled algorithm.

#4 2007-10-29 01:06:26

Ten

Thank you both for your replies! smile

I'm pretty much at GCSE standard, I can't remember everything from it, but I'd understand it again just by looking at it. I've not heard of the Saxon series, I'll look it up. I've also thought about doing a course with the Open University, I'm not particularly interested in a degree, but to have a more directed learning and to share with others really appeals to me. I did do a course with the OU a couple years back, needless to say it didn't go very well, but circumstances are a bit different now, so I'm thinking of giving it another shot.

#5 2007-10-30 03:52:20

Jai Ganesh
Administrator

Hi Ten!
Welcome to the forum!
I don't think self study is a problem,
Much of what I learnt after High school mathematics is through self study.
Particularly, learnt a lot referring to Encyclopedias and other texts.
I didn't aspire for any particular University degree or Post graduation qualification. I didn't have to qualify in any examination. I just read for gathering knowledge on the subject. That was prior to the internet, now things are much easier.

It appears to me that if one wants to make progress in mathematics, one should study the masters and not the pupils. - Niels Henrik Abel.

Nothing is better than reading and gaining more and more knowledge - Stephen William Hawking.

#6 2007-10-30 22:50:50

Ten

Thanks for the welcome ganesh! Good to hear how leaning has worked out for you. smile

The problem I find with self-study is motivation and knowing where to start first. I need to draw out a plan of action. I'm thinking of doing a basic course with the OU just to see if I can stick it out, then take it from there.

#7 2007-10-31 00:27:38

Laterally Speaking
Real Member

Welcome!

I actually am trying to teach myself organic chemistry, with a fair amount of success. So here is the key to teaching oneself something: have a good teacher! In other words, have some good sources, as well as a lot of curiosity and interest.

"Knowledge is directly proportional to the amount of equipment ruined."
"This woman painted a picture of me; she was clearly a psychopath"

#8 2007-11-03 15:47:14

George,Y

Self study is always hard......Since you don't know how to schedule it and want to grasp every detail.

X'(y-Xβ)=0

Board footer