Math Is Fun Forum

Discussion about math, puzzles, games and fun.   Useful symbols: ÷ × ½ √ ∞ ≠ ≤ ≥ ≈ ⇒ ± ∈ Δ θ ∴ ∑ ∫ • π ƒ -¹ ² ³ °

You are not logged in.

#1 2007-08-18 02:54:43

KELLEVAN

Homeschooler

My son is homeschooled. I just stumbled onto this web page, while I was looking for help. Mathsisfun is the best thing available. We are so happy. big_smile

God  Bless  You  !!   :-)

#2 2007-08-18 10:02:29

MathsIsFun
Administrator

Re: Homeschooler

Thanks so much ... we try!

"The physicists defer only to mathematicians, and the mathematicians defer only to God ..."  - Leon M. Lederman

#3 2007-08-19 15:34:45

mikau

i was also homeschooled, and yes this a great place for people who don't have a formal teacher to help them. Ricky helped me out of a jam just today.

Thank god for this place...

A logarithm is just a misspelled algorithm.

#4 2007-08-19 18:40:07

Identity

Indeed. The internet has such great potential, as long as it is not squandered.

#5 2007-08-20 02:07:37

Bernard

Like you I have stumbled on this web site and find it a fantastic resource. You must have the patience of a saint to home school as I struggle to motivate one of my sons particularly when it comes to repetitive learning and quick recall for basic tasks such as muliplication, addition, etc. However this changed when his school recently signed up to a on-line learning website called Mathletics which enables him to solve mathematic problems and also compete on-line with other children. Now it's a case of trying to get him off the computer.

How effective have you found computer interactive learning for mathematics?

#6 2007-08-20 02:26:09

Identity

Yeah my school signed us up for mathletics in year 9, and it was awesome, racing against people from all over the world in basic operations. It's a great website for kids in lower year levels, and the subscription cost really isn't that significant.

However it should also be noted that there are other great places to learn these things, Mathsisfun has Reaction Math, and I found this Other cool arithmetic site. big_smile

#7 2007-08-20 14:42:43

KELLEVAN

Bernard wrote:

Like you I have stumbled on this web site and find it a fantastic resource. You must have the patience of a saint to home school as I struggle to motivate one of my sons particularly when it comes to repetitive learning and quick recall for basic tasks such as muliplication, addition, etc. However this changed when his school recently signed up to a on-line learning website called Mathletics which enables him to solve mathematic problems and also compete on-line with other children. Now it's a case of trying to get him off the computer.

How effective have you found computer interactive learning for mathematics?

My son has ADD. I find interactive math to be a huge help. We struggle everyday. We homeschool because teachers do not have time for a child with ADD. I am able to give him what he needs. I also like that we are able to study the bible.

#8 2007-08-20 20:49:28

Bernard

Our eldest son also has been diagnosed with ADD so I appreciate your circumstances. Trying to help him increase his attention span has been challenging. We have tried to moderate his impulsivity through a stict diet and are always looking for ways that will encourage his motivation to learn and websites such as this that are interactive and stimulating are assisting.

#9 2007-08-22 23:22:16

Zach

God Hates Fish.

Boy let me tell you what:
I bet you didn't know it, but I'm a fiddle player too.
And if you'd care to take a dare, I'll make a bet with you.

#10 2007-08-23 15:07:10

KELLEVAN

The fish has been a symbol of Christianity since ancient times.
IXOYE  This word means fish in Greek. Each of the five letters
in the Greek word for fish is an initial for one of the five words in the phrase, "Jesus Christ, God's Son, Savior."  Every true Christian believes that Jesus Christ is the Son of God and his Savior.

#11 2007-08-23 15:39:21

mikau

God hates fish, Zach? smile

A logarithm is just a misspelled algorithm.

#12 2007-10-28 19:48:26

carielewyn

i just registered so i could log in and show my appreciation and say that this website is great.

i decided to homeschool my 7-year-old ADHD son last year, not to "moderate his impulsivity" (to quote Bernard) or to "study the bible" (to quote kellevan), but because i don't think schools teach enough and teachers have a hard time dealing with kids like mine. he asks questions they don't know how to answer and he gets bored with nclb curriculums.

anyway, i bought a $30 4th grade math book last week after searching through the rubble at the home ed store. i thought it was the best one out of the bunch (which isn't saying much), but i find myself referring to this site for extra info a lot, and it turns out there's more and better to understand stuff on here than in that book.

so my thanks go out to the creators and upkeepers of this site.

#13 2007-10-28 22:34:52

MathsIsFun
Administrator

Thank you from all of us!

"The physicists defer only to mathematicians, and the mathematicians defer only to God ..."  - Leon M. Lederman

Board footer