Math Is Fun Forum

Discussion about math, puzzles, games and fun.   Useful symbols: ÷ × ½ √ ∞ ≠ ≤ ≥ ≈ ⇒ ± ∈ Δ θ ∴ ∑ ∫ • π ƒ -¹ ² ³ °

You are not logged in.

#1 2007-08-11 06:36:56

Kargoneth

Greetings

I dabble in algorithms and such. I prefer to find solutions to problems myself, by working it out by hand if necessary. I may not create the fastest or simplest methods for finding a solution, but I do usually find a solution that works.

For example, I had to design a method for figuring out target deflection (leading a target with a weapon that fires a constant-velocity projectile).

Other people created simple solutions using vector math... mine was based on trigonometry... sine, cosine, tangents, etc...

I hope to one day be able to learn and understand the theories behind complex functions (complex number functions would also be useful for my fractal fascination).

I am a computer programmer at heart, and would rather understand *how* a problem is solved, not just by being bombarded by answers... (I like to extrapolate my knowledge to new problems).

See you around (If I don't forget that this forum exists, lol; I am quite absent minded).

#2 2007-08-11 12:11:35

MathsIsFun
Administrator

Re: Greetings

Hi kargoneth! Developing one's own algorithms is great.

To aid your memory you can "subscribe" to a topic so you get an email when people reply.

"The physicists defer only to mathematicians, and the mathematicians defer only to God ..."  - Leon M. Lederman

#3 2007-08-11 15:16:40

Kargoneth

Re: Greetings

That will prove most useful. Thanks for the heads up smile

Board footer