Math Is Fun Forum

Discussion about math, puzzles, games and fun.   Useful symbols: ÷ × ½ √ ∞ ≠ ≤ ≥ ≈ ⇒ ± ∈ Δ θ ∴ ∑ ∫ • π ƒ -¹ ² ³ °

You are not logged in.

#1 2007-05-24 09:52:22

gairceilatan

Complex Numbers

Hi there,

I am finding the roots of polynomials using things like, 2+i is a root of the equation hence find all the roots.

Now I am fine with these but I got a question that said the root was purely imaginary, now I took this to mean the root was just i however, this did not work out, and the answer was 2i, so my question is will a purely imaginary root for these types of questions always be 2i? 

Thank you smile

#2 2007-05-24 10:08:01

mathsyperson

Re: Complex Numbers

Saying that a number is purely imaginary just means that it doesn't have a real part.

In general, a complex number can be written as x + yi, where x and y are real.
Saying that a complex number in this form is purely imaginary tells you that x = 0.

The imaginary part can still be whatever it likes though. i, 2i, 3i, πi, etc. are all purely imaginary.

Why did the vector cross the road?
It wanted to be normal.

#3 2007-05-24 10:22:57

gairceilatan

Hi mathsyperson,

Thanks for your help, how do you decide what one to use or does it really not matter and when I done it equals to i my calculations were just off?  Or is it specific to the question?

Thank you smile

#4 2007-05-24 21:39:04

lancemaria

hello everyone

#5 2007-05-24 23:39:49

mathsyperson

gairceilatan wrote:

Hi mathsyperson,

Thanks for your help, how do you decide what one to use or does it really not matter and when I done it equals to i my calculations were just off?  Or is it specific to the question?

Thank you smile

I'm not sure I get what you're saying here. The answer will depend on what the question is, just like any answer.

Why did the vector cross the road?
It wanted to be normal.

Board footer