Math Is Fun Forum

Discussion about math, puzzles, games and fun.   Useful symbols: ÷ × ½ √ ∞ ≠ ≤ ≥ ≈ ⇒ ± ∈ Δ θ ∴ ∑ ∫ • π ƒ -¹ ² ³ °

You are not logged in.

#1 2007-05-21 09:05:38

mikau

So how was your school year/ semester ???

I figured most of us are either just finished school or are about to finish.

So how was school this year/semester? smile How were your grades? What are your plans for the summer? smile

I had a pretty grueling semester but I just got my final grade report and was thrilled to find that I got all A's! big_smile  Whoohooo!!

As for the summer, I had wanted to take summer courses but after seeing the tight schedule it demands, I'm not sure if I can do it without quiting my job (which I need).  sad

So I might buy some vector calc, discrete math, and linnear algebra books and teach myself over the summer, so i won't have to study next sememster. Hehehe! smile I also want to work on some programming project, prefferably a video game. :-) Gotta be productive or you go crazy!

A logarithm is just a misspelled algorithm.

#2 2007-05-21 09:24:49

Ma+th=fun

Re: So how was your school year/ semester ???

I havent finished school but I did great!

I arrived in the middle of the year because my dad moved. I got all A's but i dont know what ill get at the end of the year. ( I dont have a job if you were going to wonder; im 10 ) I want to play vidio games and watch tv. im going to FL. smile I dont want, or need, to study- ive never in my life, yet i get A's\

That's about it.

Last edited by Ma+th=fun (2007-05-28 13:22:36)

I love pi. big_smile

#3 2007-05-21 09:43:19

mikau

Ma+th=fun wrote:

I havent finished school but I did great!

I arrived in the middle of the year because my dad moved. I got all A's but i dont know what ill get at the end of the year. ( I dont have a job if you were going to wonder; im 10 ) I want to play vidio games and watch tv. im going to FL. smile I dont want, or need, to study- ive never in my life, yet i get A's\

That's about it. ( I know this is off-topic and is spam because of it but am i a member. it says im a novice. dunno )

I'm not sure if there are payed memberships here, but I believe it just says your a novice because you're new and haven't made many posts yet.

Anyways, good job on your grades! Yeah I intend to catch up on some movies/video games too. I want to buy a nintendo wii and play the new Zelda game. And there are a lot of great new movies to see this year! :-)

#4 2007-05-21 09:55:46

MathsIsFun
Administrator

Well done both of you!

And, Ma+th=fun, it is actually *on-topic* as we are in "Dark Discussions" and the topic is "how was your school year/ semester", so you are fine.

"The physicists defer only to mathematicians, and the mathematicians defer only to God ..."  - Leon M. Lederman

#5 2007-05-21 09:56:45

mathsyperson

(Off-topic reply: That's just a rank that reflects your postcount, Ma+th=Fun. You stop being a novice after 5 posts, and you're on 4 so it won't take you too long smile)

Interesting topic. I'm not sure that all of us are nearly finished though. School doesn't tend to finish until the middlish of July. I'm nearly finished though, because I'm at Uni and we get ridiculously long holidays. Just two more weeks of exams for me and then nearly 4 months of holiday. big_smile

I haven't got anything too special planned. There's a week's stay in Centerparks somewhere in there, but that's about it. I'm almost certainly going to need a job of some sort. Not so much because I want money (although that's a nice perk) but mainly just so that I have something to do most of the time. 4 months is a long time to be bored.

Random replies to other things:

• "I dont want, or need, to study- ive never in my life, yet i get A's"
You should be very careful there. While I'm sure that's true now, everyone reaches a point in their educational career when they suddenly find that coasting isn't good enough. And if you haven't learnt how to work hard and revise properly by then, then you'll find your grades suffering heavily. The point is in different places for different people, but it's always there. And often the people who reach their barrier late suffer the most.

• And on a lighter note, Discrete maths is one of my most favourite types of maths. It's perhaps not the most useful, but I enjoyed learning and using all the algorithms, and it was a really fun subject. And I got 100% in the exam. smile
So if you're going to buy any books and teach yourself something, I heartily recommend that one.

Why did the vector cross the road?
It wanted to be normal.

#6 2007-05-21 10:19:55

MathsIsFun
Administrator

With members from the UK, US, Australia, China, India, Pakistan, etc ... there are going to be many who are not near the end of the year, but it is still nice to know how everyone is going.

"The physicists defer only to mathematicians, and the mathematicians defer only to God ..."  - Leon M. Lederman

#7 2007-05-21 10:21:35

mikau

Thanks, mathsy! I heard discrete math is usefull in programming/data structures, if thats true I could definitly use it.

I'd really like to learn some new calculus though. I've hardly learned one new thing since I entered school! hmm lol. Well I had no official record of having taught myself, and I was afraid there might be some important topics not covered in my book. Turns out there were pretty much none, though I think I've now gained a much more thorrough understanding of calculus. So I'm excited to start learning something new. smile

And I have to agree, mathsy. This past semester, I had all 100's in my caclulus test, until we took the test on series. x_x I figured it would be easy and I didn't have to study for it. And I got a miserable 88. mad:P:lol: lol, yeah thats not so bad but i still blew my record. So I worked real hard to sharpen my series skills, and general calc skills for the final, and I think I got 100 on that too! :-) though I didn't get to see what I got for it.

But yeah, you get too confident and think you don't have to study, and suddenly it comes back to bite ya. cool Good thing it was only the third exam, so I had time to shape up for the final.

Last edited by mikau (2007-05-21 10:24:01)

#8 2007-05-21 17:56:28

Devantè
Real Member

Interesting stories. smile

In the UK, school will not end for at least another 9-and-a-half weeks.

wink

#9 2007-05-21 18:33:28

mikau

eek. I feel kinda stupid starting this thread. hehe! I really keep forgetting that its the World Wide Web. hehe!

#10 2007-05-21 18:36:23

MathsIsFun
Administrator

Ahhh... the Wild World of the Web ...

#11 2007-05-21 22:29:03

justlookingforthemoment

MathsIsFun wrote:

With members from the UK, US, Australia, China, India, Pakistan, etc ... there are going to be many who are not near the end of the year, but it is still nice to know how everyone is going.

All of us southern-hemispherians are just getting to the middle of the year! Which means exams for those in higher year levels ... sad

#12 2007-05-22 10:10:02

mikau

Well for anyone who's still in school, how are things going so far, and what are your plans for after the semester ends? smile

#13 2007-05-22 11:02:44

Ma+th=fun

Im glad im in the US. schools out this Fri. And i already have a Wii and the Zelda game. Ive also preordered a copy of pokemon: battle revolution. cool cool cool cool cool cool another thing i was wondering; can i make a topic that is in the members only already and copy it somewhere else because there is a 10 word story that was really cool and i wanted to do it..... neutral i know youve done it Devante

Last edited by Ma+th=fun (2007-05-22 13:11:47)

I love pi. big_smile

#14 2007-05-22 11:06:19

mikau

cool! I can't wait for Super Smash Brothers Brawl to hit the shelves! :-)

#15 2007-05-24 05:26:22

Laterally Speaking
Real Member

My year has been rather boring, my dad having taught me most of the stuff we covered when I was 4 (electronics, math, needless to say, English, and a few others).

Over here, the grading system is pretty different: each test is scored as x/20, and then they do an average for each subject at the end of each trimester, then an average of those averages. Then, at the end of the year (unfortunately, usually around the 8th of July), they do an average of each subject over the entire year, then an average of those averages.

Besides the strange notation system, and the language, I've had it pretty easy this year. I'm expecting my overall average to be somewhere around 17/20 (believe me, it is absolutely IMPOSSIBLE to get an overall average of 20/20).

This summer, I'm flying back home (the US) for a while. I intend to get some items that I need over here but can't find (video games, a new computer...).

"Knowledge is directly proportional to the amount of equipment ruined."
"This woman painted a picture of me; she was clearly a psychopath"

#16 2007-05-24 05:30:17

Maelwys

I feel so old...
School for me was over many years ago. So not much new to report on that front... ;-)

(Oh and don't forget Canada, we're here too! And contrary to some belief, we're not part of the US)

#17 2007-05-24 05:33:23

Daniel123

Ive broken up from school... but still need to come in for exams. Ive had a few so far (RS, BCS and English literature), but ive got most of them in the next three weeks. Then a nice long 2 and a half month summer reward for all my hard work smile:):) Still dont know what subjects to take though

#18 2007-05-25 03:37:27

Sekky

I finished my first year of uni this week, had some damned interesting exams. (Apart from Group Theorey, which was beyond dull, which is a shame because I love the field).

#19 2007-05-25 04:17:41

Laterally Speaking
Real Member

I really wish I were going to classes somewhere else... The classes here are REALLY boring for me. The upside of this is that I both have lots of time on my hands to teach myself stuff (chemistry, organic chemistry, etc.) and I get really good grades.

Still, having boring classes is, well, boring.

#20 2007-05-25 11:16:12

MathsIsFun
Administrator

Give yourself mental exercises, or do the planning for something you will do afterwards. Just don't get caught for "day dreaming" smile

#21 2007-05-25 12:12:25

mikau

hehe. Yeah, my psychoogy teacher was pretty nice that way, she would say "you must keep your head up, pretend your listening, and keep the eye of your choice open!"

#22 2007-05-25 20:46:26

Laterally Speaking
Real Member

Don't worry!

#23 2007-05-26 05:36:41

Zach

'twas deadly.

Boy let me tell you what:
I bet you didn't know it, but I'm a fiddle player too.
And if you'd care to take a dare, I'll make a bet with you.

#24 2007-05-31 20:16:54

U7109
Real Member

On the topic of school, at my school Term 2 (The term I'm in) ends in four weeks! WOOOOOOO! cool NO SCHOOL FOR FOUR WEEKS!

"Reality leaves a lot to the imagination," ~ John Lennon

#25 2007-05-31 21:16:25

Identity

Heh... exams coming up in about... a week, 6 of them: 2 Maths, english, chinese, international business, web authoring... -.- werkwerkwerk

Board footer