Math Is Fun Forum

Discussion about math, puzzles, games and fun.   Useful symbols: ÷ × ½ √ ∞ ≠ ≤ ≥ ≈ ⇒ ± ∈ Δ θ ∴ ∑ ∫ • π ƒ -¹ ² ³ °

You are not logged in.

#1 2007-03-23 06:57:49

luca-deltodesco

biology teachers

no offence if anyone is a biology teacher, but the ones at my school have been annoying me recently when doing some past papers.

theres been a few questions involving describing some graph it gives you.

now, the graphs are of exponential decay, but when i state this in the description, they mark it wrong, and say that its 'decreasing'... then i try to argue, and they just threaten me with detention.

similar thing has happened when ive described a graph as being of exponential growth, and they equall mark it wrong, saying i should be describing it as 'increasing'...

hmm

The Beginning Of All Things To End.
The End Of All Things To Come.

#2 2007-03-23 07:26:42

espeon
Real Member

Re: biology teachers

I got a after school detention for offering my friends some glue...

Unfair huh? AND it was my biology teacher plus I had to watch a video of a very 'graphic' scene of a woman giving birth. I think that was punishment enough...

Presenting the Prinny dance.
Take this dood! Huh doood!!! HUH DOOOOD!?!? DOOD HUH!!!!!! DOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

#3 2007-03-23 07:39:04

mathsyperson

Well, I suppose 'offering some glue' would still count as 'talking in class', so if your teacher's a meanie then that would just about be a valid excuse to punish you. An after-school seems a bit much though.

Just to clarify, watching that video just happened to be what you were doing in the class that you got the detention in, right? That wasn't actually your punishment, was it?

As for luca, I sympathise completely. I've had that happen to me a few times as well.
It's probably just that your teacher doesn't know what an exponential is. If that's the case then don't worry, even if your teacher marks them wrong, the examiner who marks your exams that actually count will give you the credit.

I suppose if I was a spectacularly mean teacher then I could argue that you haven't described the graph, you've just said what it is. But if I did, that would just be me desperately trying to find an excuse to fail you. big_smile

Why did the vector cross the road?
It wanted to be normal.

#4 2007-03-23 08:49:17

luca-deltodesco

lol the same teacher that marked me wrong on these, had a previous scurmish with another pupil, she really hates this kid Josh Watkins, and on a homework piece, she purposefully marked some questions wrong, the thing is, his dad uest to be the head of biology at this school, and she didn't know, and he had helped Josh in answering the questinos, so when he heard they'd been marked wrong, he knew that she was purposefully marking them wrong, and she almost got fired tongue

#5 2007-03-23 11:03:49

mathsyperson

That's just ridiculous. Your first story was bad, but at least the teacher was being perfectly honest, only their ignorance was to blame. Of course, it became worse when they refused to listen to your protests and threatened you with detention, but up until that point it's just about forgiveable.

In this second story, the teacher has no defence whatsoever. It's just pure and utter malice.

Why did the vector cross the road?
It wanted to be normal.

#6 2007-03-23 11:43:08

mikau

I agree with Mathsy. Probably doesn't know what an exponential curve is.

I can't say i know much about biology but i've found that applications of math in other fields, are not really understood by the professors in that field. They know how to use the formuluas but they don't know how or why they work. Its insulting when they start grading you on topics they know nothing about.

Actually I've found most people in non math or science related fields tend to be irrational. tongue lol

A logarithm is just a misspelled algorithm.

#7 2007-03-24 00:40:04

espeon
Real Member

Lol poor luca and his friend :S

Last edited by espeon (2007-03-26 07:02:21)

Take this dood! Huh doood!!! HUH DOOOOD!?!? DOOD HUH!!!!!! DOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

#8 2007-03-24 01:56:06

Devantè
Real Member

I thought luca-deltodesco was male. Ah well. tongue

Mathsyperson's mean argument may be right, maybe the teacher is partially correct.

#9 2007-03-24 05:29:58

mikau

I don't know. I think calling it exponential describes it pretty well for anyone who knows what that is. Besides, luca said he merely stated that it was exponential IN the description, he didn't say that was the extent of his description.

A logarithm is just a misspelled algorithm.

#10 2007-03-24 07:38:36

luca-deltodesco

yes i am male tongue

#11 2007-03-26 07:03:06

espeon
Real Member

First I'm saying soha is a boy then I find out soha is a girl then its the exact opposite with luca...

GRRRRRRRRRRRRR

#12 2007-03-26 07:14:00

luca-deltodesco

im interested to learn why you believe i was a girl?

#13 2007-03-26 07:15:36

espeon
Real Member

I don't know and I wont say smile

Board footer