Math Is Fun Forum

Discussion about math, puzzles, games and fun.   Useful symbols: ÷ × ½ √ ∞ ≠ ≤ ≥ ≈ ⇒ ± ∈ Δ θ ∴ ∑ ∫ • π ƒ -¹ ² ³ °

You are not logged in.

#1 2007-03-16 21:55:32

MathsIsFun
Administrator

Limits to Infinity - Please Debate

I need your help on the Limits to Infinity page.

Any criticism would be good, but there is a section which may be downright wrong, but I have not been able to prove or disprove it. It is marked with warning signs around it, and reads:

if the Degree of the Equation is:

* greater than 0, the limit is infinity (or -infinity)
    * less than 0, the limit is 0

And also, what do you think of these bold statements

* When you see "limit", think "approaching", or

* the limit is infinity (which is really saying the function is limitless).

You won't hurt my feelings, it is only a draft, so let fly!

"The physicists defer only to mathematicians, and the mathematicians defer only to God ..."  - Leon M. Lederman

#2 2007-03-17 00:20:15

mathsyperson

Re: Limits to Infinity - Please Debate

I would agree with your proposition surrounded by warning signs.
Earlier, you defined the degree of a function as the limit of log(f(x))/log(x) as x goes to infinity.

log(x) goes to infinity as x goes to infinity, and so for the degree to be positive, log(f(x)) would have to go to infinity as well.

Similarly, for the degree to be negative, log(f(x)) would have to go to -∞, which means that f(x) would have to go to 1/∞, or 0.

The rest of the page looks really good as well. It might look a bit better if you could remove the white background from where you've been using LaTeX.

Why did the vector cross the road?
It wanted to be normal.

#3 2007-03-17 09:43:17

MathsIsFun
Administrator

I fee that I may be right, but it only takes one exception to disprove it!

Plus there is always a risk when one tries to simplify. I won't feel happy publishing this page until it has been under the microscope for a while.

"The physicists defer only to mathematicians, and the mathematicians defer only to God ..."  - Leon M. Lederman

#4 2007-03-17 14:22:20

Tigeree

wow i didn't know ther was a mathsisfun advanced wow cool cool (i now feel paralysed ) my mind is blank :S

People don't notice whether it's winter or summer when they're happy.
~ Anton Chekhov
Cheer up, emo kid.

#5 2007-03-19 08:36:51

lightning
Real Member

there's a MathsIsFun Advandced!!!! i'm so there how do i get there and what do i take???

Zappzter - New IM app! Unsure of which room to join? "ZNU" is made to help new users. c:

#6 2007-03-20 06:15:43

espeon
Real Member

I seriously don't know. Basically infinity isn't actually a 'number' its just a term so its easier to move around, at least thats what I think. I don't really know but I'm going to go with ' not greater than 0 but not less than 0'.

Presenting the Prinny dance.
Take this dood! Huh doood!!! HUH DOOOOD!?!? DOOD HUH!!!!!! DOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Board footer