Math Is Fun Forum

Discussion about math, puzzles, games and fun.   Useful symbols: ÷ × ½ √ ∞ ≠ ≤ ≥ ≈ ⇒ ± ∈ Δ θ ∴ ∑ ∫ • π ƒ -¹ ² ³ °

You are not logged in.

#1 2007-03-11 00:08:19

Toast
Real Member

Originality.

Something that has worried me for a long time is that with all the different business names and trademarks, there soon will be so many different brand names that it will be virtually impossible to come up with something good, and new businesses will be left with brands with long or unusual names - the leftovers.

I have the worse concerns for books, music and art. How many unique plots are possible, how many ways can a sentence be written, without people constantly debating over who copied what etc. And for music, I have heard many melodies and harmonies in my time, and every kind of music that is pleasing to hear is based on set structures of harmony and perhaps a good melody. However, if we keep sticking to these guidelines there will be no room left for innovation, and the only place left is the avant garde world, which can really only be ingested in bite-sized portions. I think you kind of get my drift by now...

Do you think this is a major concern?

Last edited by Toast (2007-03-11 00:08:57)

#2 2007-03-11 00:16:23

espeon
Real Member

Re: Originality.

Lol true. No one ever comes up with origanal ideas anymore. Some people can prove that people have been copying another but everything is starting to become... well  guess its starting to be deja vu for me. I wish peple could start using origanal ideas but if you try making one up and its the same to something else. You can't really blame them can you?

Presenting the Prinny dance.
Take this dood! Huh doood!!! HUH DOOOOD!?!? DOOD HUH!!!!!! DOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

#3 2007-03-11 01:17:16

rida
Real Member

its too hard to come up with original ideas these days.
like on http://www.ff.net

Dreams don't come true, you gotta make them come true.

#4 2007-03-11 16:01:40

Tigeree

nice... kinda...  ok i dont get it  but chatalot would like that website, she could chat about harry potter all day long dizzy rolleyes

People don't notice whether it's winter or summer when they're happy.
~ Anton Chekhov
Cheer up, emo kid.

#5 2007-03-12 08:49:00

rida
Real Member

she's got http://www.hpana.com/forums for that.

Dreams don't come true, you gotta make them come true.

#6 2007-03-12 08:53:06

lightning
Real Member

she does i didn't know that

Zappzter - New IM app! Unsure of which room to join? "ZNU" is made to help new users. c:

#7 2007-03-12 09:40:13

MathsIsFun
Administrator

And if someone makes a really bad song using a nice melody, then that melody can't be used by someone else with more talent.

But how many notes do you need to put together to say "this is *my* song" ... ?

"The physicists defer only to mathematicians, and the mathematicians defer only to God ..."  - Leon M. Lederman

#8 2007-03-12 19:21:00

justlookingforthemoment

I have often had the same thoughts as you, Toast, about music. Will a composer or artist find it harder and harder to compose or create innovative pieces as we move through time? But we've been going for this long already ... I suppose people will keep thinking of new combinations. There an infinite number of ways you arrange musical notes on a page ...

Well, what about the internet? Has everything already been thought out? Will there be so many maths forums in the future that they'll all be the same?

Board footer