Math Is Fun Forum

Discussion about math, puzzles, games and fun.   Useful symbols: ÷ × ½ √ ∞ ≠ ≤ ≥ ≈ ⇒ ± ∈ Δ θ ∴ ∑ ∫ • π ƒ -¹ ² ³ °

You are not logged in.

#26 2007-02-23 01:10:32

Sekky

Re: Future job; what do you want to do?

I will never respect medical doctors.

If you've ever been to university, you'll no doubt at some point have spoken to med students, who rant about how difficult their course is. So I took a look at their course, I even sat a few lectures (naughty me), and the entire course is just memorization. A tape recorder could sit these lectures and learn how to become a medical doctor, memorisation is not impressive. I cracked Pi to 200 places in 15 minutes, is that impressive memorisation? Of course not, and these med students are just cramming series of linked lists into their brains, they are simply a walking database with zero intelligence, whose only aim is to associate symptom with symptom with diagnosis with drug. If you value mental improvement, don't study medicine.

I would recommend Biochemistry as an alternative.

Anyway, for the question, what do I want to be? I want to be what I'm am now,  a maths student.

#27 2007-02-23 06:18:04

Roraborealis

Does everyone have to have an interview toast, or is it just a few people?
Only a few people I found out had to have one (when I was doing it) and none of them were rejected. I'm sure you'll be great!
I think a great thing to do is smile a lot. It'll make them want to smile too, and it'll give them a positive, friendly impression. 

Oh, and by the way, are any of you thinking of doing something related to what you want to do in the future?

School is practice for the future. Practice makes perfect. But - nobody's perfect, so why practice?

#28 2007-02-23 09:59:12

Zach

Supreme Overlord of all Existance.

Boy let me tell you what:
I bet you didn't know it, but I'm a fiddle player too.
And if you'd care to take a dare, I'll make a bet with you.

#29 2007-02-23 12:52:26

mathsyperson

I'd imagine that whether or not you need an interview depends purely on whether or not the company that you're going to be working for wants one.

I remember when I did work experience, I got a letter from the company saying that I needed to phone them to arrange an interview, but then when I did it turned out that they'd accepted me automatically and the "interview" was actually just an informal introduction to the boss before I got started. So each placement will vary, I would think.

One almost universal trait of work experience, however, is that you will hardly ever do anything useful. My main task was photocopying, and apparently another big one was making tea.
I did get to design a few spreadsheets and do a bit of research and stuff, but I'm fairly sure that all of that stuff was redone (or at least extensively checked) by another member of staff after I'd gone, so it wasn't really productive. Still, at least it's something for my CV.

Why did the vector cross the road?
It wanted to be normal.

#30 2007-02-23 13:57:17

Tigeree

journalist !

People don't notice whether it's winter or summer when they're happy.
~ Anton Chekhov
Cheer up, emo kid.

#31 2007-02-23 13:58:23

Tigeree

i wanna be just like Lois Lane big_smile

~ Anton Chekhov
Cheer up, emo kid.

#32 2007-02-24 10:53:11

rida
Real Member

I might be a journalist  now I come to think of it,and tigeree I'm still annoyed at you for the post you made in This or That and picking espeon instead of me.

Dreams don't come true, you gotta make them come true.

#33 2007-02-25 05:09:51

Devantè
Real Member

Sekky wrote:

I will never respect medical doctors.

If you've ever been to university, you'll no doubt at some point have spoken to med students, who rant about how difficult their course is. So I took a look at their course, I even sat a few lectures (naughty me), and the entire course is just memorization. A tape recorder could sit these lectures and learn how to become a medical doctor, memorisation is not impressive. I cracked Pi to 200 places in 15 minutes, is that impressive memorisation? Of course not, and these med students are just cramming series of linked lists into their brains, they are simply a walking database with zero intelligence, whose only aim is to associate symptom with symptom with diagnosis with drug. If you value mental improvement, don't study medicine.

I'll study what I wish to. And, I won't pursue that as a single career, I have other ambitions in mind. And to not respect medical doctors just because of what you have explained doesn't make any sense, not every medical student complains of boasts of how hard their studies (or whatever) are. Respect should be used for anyone (with some exceptions), and to make such a large-scale statement like that would be ridiculous.

#34 2007-02-26 04:19:06

rida
Real Member

Also doctors cure people from diseases,you are forgetting sekky.

#35 2007-02-26 04:39:20

Patrick
Real Member

rida wrote:

Also doctors cure people from diseases,you are forgetting sekky.

Wrong, medicine does... I get your point though, without the doctors, it would take a lot of recourses to find out what drug to take. I have to agree with sekky a bit here, though. Being a medical doctor is pretty much remembering a bunch of things. While this is an accomplishment, it's not really a question of being smart or not. This is of course a generalization, and some of the courses you have to take in order to become a medical doctor requires you to be good at other things than remembering.

Last edited by Patrick (2007-02-26 04:39:32)

Support MathsIsFun.com by clicking on the banners.
What music do I listen to? Clicky click

#36 2007-02-26 05:24:52

Dross

When I was at school, I wanted to be a maths or physics teacher. Don't know why it never panned out, but I like my current job because it involves a hefty amount of maths that's actually applied to something - I got a little frustrated with the abstractness of some of the maths at uni.

At the moment I help to develop mathematical models of groundwater, heat and contaminant flow and transport through the ground using numerical analysis (specifically the finite element method). I enjoy it, though I never thought I'd be doing it when I left uni!

Last edited by Dross (2007-02-26 05:25:06)

Bad speling makes me [sic]

#37 2007-02-26 05:49:42

Patrick
Real Member

Dross wrote:

I enjoy it, though I never thought I'd be doing it when I left uni!

I think that's true for many mathematicians now a days. Many companies are facing increasingly complex problems, and some of these problems requires help from mathematicians. At the moment, I think teaching at university could be very cool, but this might change totally when I go to/finish university . If I even decide to study mathematics, I'm not even sure yet).

Support MathsIsFun.com by clicking on the banners.
What music do I listen to? Clicky click

#38 2007-03-02 01:55:59

Ninja 101

Okay, I want to be a Geologist, but my chances rest on this summer's exams (gulp) I need a B or a C in maths at GCSE, 2 sciences at AS level and 1 science at A level.

Chaos is found in greatest abundance wherever order is being saught. It always defeats order, because it is better organized.

#39 2007-03-19 19:16:08

U7109
Real Member

You mean a CV? Yeah, you have to send that.

"Reality leaves a lot to the imagination," ~ John Lennon

#40 2007-03-19 19:32:44

luca-deltodesco

im not sure what im going to do to be honest, i love programming, but at the moment i dont see myself doing it as a profressino, moreover, doing something else that involves programming, but not with programming at its core, something requiring computer models to be built perhaps?

The Beginning Of All Things To End.
The End Of All Things To Come.

#41 2007-03-25 01:51:51

lightning
Real Member

i want to be a actor like james bond or john trivolta and work with others that would be.....soooo cooooooooool!

Zappzter - New IM app! Unsure of which room to join? "ZNU" is made to help new users. c:

#42 2007-03-25 02:06:04

Devantè
Real Member

Keep in mind that the time you become an 'actor' if you do, then a lot of the actors you know would have passed away, which is a little bit likely.

#43 2007-03-25 02:20:46

lightning
Real Member

how come let me geuss they died of emarrestment? AHAAAHAHAHAHAA!!! oh boy i kill my self with these do you get it ahahaha!

Zappzter - New IM app! Unsure of which room to join? "ZNU" is made to help new users. c:

#44 2007-03-25 06:39:03

Zhylliolom
Real Member

I'd be embarrassed to have the same job as you too.

Oh snap wink

#45 2007-03-25 06:49:31

Ricky

If you've ever been to university, you'll no doubt at some point have spoken to med students, who rant about how difficult their course is. So I took a look at their course, I even sat a few lectures (naughty me), and the entire course is just memorization. A tape recorder could sit these lectures and learn how to become a medical doctor, memorisation is not impressive.

I don't doubt that a ton of memorization is involved in becoming a doctor.  But do you really honestly think that's all that being a doctor is?

"In the real world, this would be a problem.  But in mathematics, we can just define a place where this problem doesn't exist.  So we'll go ahead and do that now..."

#46 2007-03-25 06:59:34

rida
Real Member

They give you practical work as well, I should know my mum and dad are both doctors and both went to medical college.

#47 2007-03-27 04:23:09

lightning
Real Member

Zhylliolom wrote:

I'd be embarrassed to have the same job as you too.

Oh snap wink

do you watch thats so raven? i love that show! it's soooooooooo cool with eddie and chelsea and raven it's so funny ahahahahahaha!!!

#48 2007-03-29 16:58:06

Tigeree

rida wrote:

I might be a journalist  now I come to think of it,and tigeree I'm still annoyed at you for the post you made in This or That and picking espeon instead of me.

sorry rida i won't do it again honest please don't kill me please I have... i have I have my job if thats worth anything  and i agree all docters r cruel very cruel people shame shame on them

~ Anton Chekhov
Cheer up, emo kid.

#49 2007-03-29 17:02:32

Tigeree

i wish i was like raven i was once but now my powers r gone *sniff sniff* they wearn't excatually like hers but i could see ghosts and everything ya know

~ Anton Chekhov
Cheer up, emo kid.

#50 2007-03-30 01:50:20

egeniius

Zach wrote:

Supreme Overlord of all Existance.

Do you need a minion? I've always wanted to be a minion.

"Pi is exactly three!" - Professor Frink

Board footer