Math Is Fun Forum

Discussion about math, puzzles, games and fun.   Useful symbols: ÷ × ½ √ ∞ ≠ ≤ ≥ ≈ ⇒ ± ∈ Δ θ ∴ ∑ ∫ • π ƒ -¹ ² ³ °

You are not logged in.

#1 2007-02-17 14:54:20

Monique

finding variables for equation?

A fish pond in backyard, how do I show the changes in height of water in the pond over a 4 week period?

I'm struggling to find the variables for my equation so I can then graph on 2mm paper. Can someone provide me with an equation please?

Thanks!

#2 2007-02-17 15:29:18

chatalot
Real Member

Re: finding variables for equation?

I can not help you on this one.

For the world. For your country. For YOU.

#3 2007-02-17 16:43:35

Jai Ganesh
Administrator

Re: finding variables for equation?

Assuming the pond is rectangular (cubical in 3 dimensions), with dimensions l, b and h for length, breadth and depth(or height from the bottom),
the Volume of the Pond would initially be
V=lbh.
Again, assuming l and b remain contant and only h varies with time,
the graph can be plotted with either Volume or Depth on the Y-axis, and time (in weeks) on the X-axis.

If the Pond is circular (cylindrical in 3-dimensions), the formula for Volume would change to
V=πr²h.
Here again, assuming r remains constant (where r is the radius of the pond, that is half the diameter),
a graph can be plotted with Volume or Depth(h) on the Y-axis and Time on the X-axis.
A straight line graph woud indicate a constant change, that is the rate of reduction in depth of the pond remains the same.

It appears to me that if one wants to make progress in mathematics, one should study the masters and not the pupils. - Niels Henrik Abel.

Nothing is better than reading and gaining more and more knowledge - Stephen William Hawking.

Board footer