Math Is Fun Forum

Discussion about math, puzzles, games and fun.   Useful symbols: ÷ × ½ √ ∞ ≠ ≤ ≥ ≈ ⇒ ± ∈ Δ θ ∴ ∑ ∫ • π ƒ -¹ ² ³ °

You are not logged in.

#1 2007-02-05 08:44:51

MathsIsFun
Administrator

I might make a trading game

I have been thinking of writing a trading game (buy/sell type stuff)

Would you like to see such a thing, and what would it be like?

"The physicists defer only to mathematicians, and the mathematicians defer only to God ..."  - Leon M. Lederman

#2 2007-02-06 10:50:31

power man

Re: I might make a trading game

what kind of one
and what country do you think it would be in

I hate people who hate people.
most people make mistakes, butt not me! smile smile
why     is     it     when     you     are     writing     something     important     you     run     out       of        spa

#3 2007-02-06 11:42:45

MathsIsFun
Administrator

power man wrote:

what kind of one

Thats what I want to know - tell me what YOU think would be fun

power man wrote:

and what country do you think it would be in

The world! Buy in Karachi, sell in London, buy in LA, sell in Copenhagen....

"The physicists defer only to mathematicians, and the mathematicians defer only to God ..."  - Leon M. Lederman

#4 2007-02-06 19:40:04

Toast
Real Member

Like, a virtual sharemarket? Would it be based on the current world or entirely fictitious?

#5 2007-02-06 20:19:48

MathsIsFun
Administrator

I wasn't thinking of shares, but I guess that is a possibility.

You could trade anything   ...  rare cats, maybe (or not!).

Real locations, everything else fictitious.

#6 2007-02-06 21:21:55

Toast
Real Member

Yeah I guess that would be cool. It will be hard to make a trading game where the aim is to increase your net worth as much as you can, because then people would not trade for lower valued items and hence no trading would result. Perhaps we should have something like, each player needs to collect their own thing, for instance, I might have to collect 100 calculators whilst someone else might have to collect 200 anime mangas. Would be a good tactical game.

#7 2007-02-07 17:00:28

Tigeree

game ?      i'm listening big_smile

People don't notice whether it's winter or summer when they're happy.
~ Anton Chekhov
Cheer up, emo kid.

#8 2007-02-16 19:43:44

chatalot
Real Member

what the....

I didn't get any of that.

For the world. For your country. For YOU.

#9 2007-02-16 22:02:52

MathsIsFun
Administrator

Just a general idea.

I have thought a bit more, and maybe I could make a game where you get to buy and sell gems. Like diamonds, sapphires and so on. You have to hunt around different cities looking for good prices, and then buy what you can and then find good places to sell them at a profit.

Not only fun, but you get to play with many ideas about money.

#10 2007-02-17 00:23:36

rida
Real Member

I would love that.

What about you have a family to keep running and you are the only one who works so you have to run a good business.

Last edited by rida (2007-02-17 00:26:34)

Dreams don't come true, you gotta make them come true.

#11 2007-02-17 07:06:39

espeon
Real Member

hmmm do you mean like under your username next to the post(im talking about that one <<<<)
there would be

shares:
------:
total stuff:

that would be kl! id have 342 manga chapters and 221 naruto episodes!

Presenting the Prinny dance.
Take this dood! Huh doood!!! HUH DOOOOD!?!? DOOD HUH!!!!!! DOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

#12 2007-02-17 10:51:42

Ricky

What would be a cool game is a finite amount of products with a finite amount of money.  That is, there is no way for products to be created or destroyed or money to be created or destroyed.  When the game starts up, there is a general pool you can buy from.  The money you buy with goes into a bank.  Anything you sell, the money has to come out of the bank.  The more objects of some type that are in the pool, the less each object costs.  The less objects that are in the pool, the more each object costs.  Along with the pool/bank, people can trade with each other.

That way, it's a real life simulation of the way the market works.

"In the real world, this would be a problem.  But in mathematics, we can just define a place where this problem doesn't exist.  So we'll go ahead and do that now..."

#13 2007-02-17 16:34:24

Jai Ganesh
Administrator

And a common currency too, say, USD.
I agree with MathsIsFun & Ricky, (posts # 9 and 12),
lots of fun in store!

It appears to me that if one wants to make progress in mathematics, one should study the masters and not the pupils. - Niels Henrik Abel.

Nothing is better than reading and gaining more and more knowledge - Stephen William Hawking.

#14 2007-02-17 21:35:59

espeon
Real Member

kl i cant wait!

Take this dood! Huh doood!!! HUH DOOOOD!?!? DOOD HUH!!!!!! DOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

#15 2007-02-17 22:36:31

MathsIsFun
Administrator

So, let's start to think of some of the practicalities.

Let's say a few of us register for the game. On registering we get $1,000 each. The gems are currently owned by "others" and we can buy them and sell them to "others" and each other as well?

How should it work?

#16 2007-02-18 00:15:46

Patrick
Real Member

I guess travelling is going to cost something, right? If it is, you might want someone to own trainstations etc., or else the pool of money will just decrease all the time, 'til no one has enough money to travel.

Support MathsIsFun.com by clicking on the banners.
What music do I listen to? Clicky click

#17 2007-02-19 06:57:42

rida
Real Member

maybe you could have a special talent,like mining and smithing or you could make clothes and sell them.

Dreams don't come true, you gotta make them come true.

#18 2007-02-19 08:41:42

MathsIsFun
Administrator

That might be a bit hard to begin with smile We looked at role-playing games and you need a million to make one.

I am just thinking of something relatively simple. A map of the world, a status bar, and sidebar. You can pick a city and it will show you what gems you can buy and sell.

The price of gems changes with time and place, so if you hunt around you can get bargains, and sell for profit. If you are unlucky you make a loss.

So ... who are you buying the gems from? Other forum members, "automated" players, or possibly both.

#19 2007-02-19 09:35:23

mathsyperson

Both would be the most fun option, but you'd need to balance it carefully. It has potential to be a very strategic game, with forum members having to think carefully abou exactly what price is best to sell at etc., but if automated shops suddenly start selling super-rare items very cheaply, then all strategy gets thrown away.

Why did the vector cross the road?
It wanted to be normal.

#20 2007-02-19 22:23:58

espeon
Real Member

rida wrote:

maybe you could have a special talent,like mining and smithing or you could make clothes and sell them.

isnt that kinda copying runescape?

why dont you do it like imvu or faketown when you make diff things to sell in auction and bids and whatever. heres a link to fake town for ideas

http://www.faketown.com/?action=login&myToken=241c55c4c1aecefdf6166b02cfec7193

what i mean by creating things as in jewelery using the gems you buy. then you can sell the jewelery for even more. and you get like 1 credit for each minuite you stay online

Last edited by espeon (2007-02-19 22:31:49)

#21 2007-02-19 22:42:56

mathsyperson

espeon wrote:

isnt that kinda copying runescape?

why dont you do it like imvu or faketown when you make diff things to sell in auction and bids and whatever.

isnt that kinda copying faketown? tongue

Why did the vector cross the road?
It wanted to be normal.

#22 2007-02-19 22:46:06

espeon
Real Member

not really. im not saying make houses to build  im saying you can make stuff with the gems that you buy. and another way to get creds is to stay for every minuite. im not copying really. in runescape its called 'marketing' or something like that. you have to get people to buy stuff for more money. auctions are more fair. and anyway if we have to pay for credits 1 minuite per cred would be great. smile. my friend bought 20k on faketown....

#23 2007-02-23 10:17:18

Zach

I played a game like this for my business studies. You're a trader and you buy stock to fill up your spaceship, you can also sell tickets to take people places.

You start off with some money and a debt for that amount of money, and a ship to travel around in. But, that costs fuel to keep running.

Anyway, nevermind that game.

Each person starts off in a random city of the world, most probably just major cities, and they are given a starting amount, to buy items. Each town will have their own market and the cost of things will be different ranging from place to place, depending on the need of that item (Supply and Demand). But, make it so there is only a set amount of each item in existance, so as you buy, the cost of things go up as you buy them. Like the purchasing and selling price will be dependant on the amount of stuff that is at that city.

Also, travel between cities should cost a small amount, preferably dependant on how much stuff you actually have.

Last point; have turns, so that a person doesn't do everything that can within an hour. Say, a person gets x amount of actions per x hours or something.

Boy let me tell you what:
I bet you didn't know it, but I'm a fiddle player too.
And if you'd care to take a dare, I'll make a bet with you.

#24 2007-02-23 10:54:27

MathsIsFun
Administrator

Great ideas. Just how to program the laws of supply and demand?

Anyway, if I am to get started on this I need a plan of attack.

1. A map of the world with cities
2. Click on a city (it can cost) brings up a list of buy/sell offers
3. You can buy if you have the money, or sell if you have the item.

#25 2007-02-23 10:59:55

Zach

Well. You could use simple PHP and frames, so when you click on a city on the map (in the center frame), it comes up in another frame with a list of stuff.

Or you could use AJAX, if you want to get clever.

Have a list of items for the city all stored in a database and when it loads up, do calculations for the price depending on supply/demand of the stock. Check funds against the amount of stuff being purchased.

Boy let me tell you what:
I bet you didn't know it, but I'm a fiddle player too.
And if you'd care to take a dare, I'll make a bet with you.

Board footer