Math Is Fun Forum

Discussion about math, puzzles, games and fun.   Useful symbols: ÷ × ½ √ ∞ ≠ ≤ ≥ ≈ ⇒ ± ∈ Δ θ ∴ ∑ ∫ • π ƒ -¹ ² ³ °

You are not logged in.

#1 2007-02-08 23:11:07

Toast
Real Member

Just a test

Sorry if this is the wrong forum for this, but on Wednesday we're having an algebra test. Our teacher hinted that we could be moved up to the VCE class if we perform exceptionally well, and this is one of the few opportunities for us to do so. So yeah, I really want to get in, so I feel a lot of pressure.

In tests I always find I make really stupid mistakes even if I know the topic back to front. The algebra for the test is fairly simple, just an amped up version of what we learnt last year:
Solving and re-arranging for x in linear equations and inequations
Factorising and expanding polynomials, including, binomial expansions, trinomial factorisations, and excessive usage of DOPS.

So, could I have some tips on how to, well, basically ace a test? Thanks ^_^

#2 2007-02-09 02:52:02

Dross

Re: Just a test

Toast wrote:

In tests I always find I make really stupid mistakes even if I know the topic back to front.

This is normally a sign of your rushing in the test - maybe you don't even mean to, it's just "how you are" in tests.

I found it good to look through all the questions on the test before even picking up my pen to answer any of them. This lets you plan roughly how long each section "should" take you, whilst leaving yourself some room at the end to check your working. If you have three sections in a two hour test, for example, you might decide to spend half an hour on each section and leave half an hour for checking (or some other scheme, with more time dedicated to a larger/harder section - you'll know how to manage your time if you've looked at the questions and got a feel for them). Then if you find a section has taken you ten minutes, you've rushed it, so go back over it (slowly, but keeping an eye on the time) and check for errors.

I always used to check for "major" errors first and then "minor" errors separately. Checking for major errors would include checking your method for getting a solution (am I answering what the question said? Have I done it using a correct method?) and then minor errors would be checking that the actual working is okay, and you've used the values/assumptions that the question gives etc.

Of course, all this is more relevant for tests with longer questions where more planning is required. If it's the sort of test where you just fill in a line for your answer, just go through it after you've finished and make sure you didn't do anything silly!

Bad speling makes me [sic]

#3 2007-02-09 03:18:31

mathsyperson

The trap that I fall into most often is when I go back and check my answers. I've got all of my reasoning already in front of me from what I'd written previously, and so if I make any mistakes I tend to just make them again while checking, meaning they don't get caught.

Why did the vector cross the road?
It wanted to be normal.

#4 2007-02-09 11:06:49

MathsIsFun
Administrator

Excellent advice. Spending a few minutes reading and planning pays off. Checking also pays off.

One other thing: answer what is asked. You don't get points for answering other things.

"The physicists defer only to mathematicians, and the mathematicians defer only to God ..."  - Leon M. Lederman

#5 2007-02-09 15:21:36

Toast
Real Member

Yeah thanks, the minor mistakes are hard to spot though tongue

#6 2007-02-11 23:41:50

Toast
Real Member

Lol, I shiver just thinking about it and it's only Monday - I don't really know why... lol

Board footer