Math Is Fun Forum

Discussion about math, puzzles, games and fun.   Useful symbols: ÷ × ½ √ ∞ ≠ ≤ ≥ ≈ ⇒ ± ∈ Δ θ ∴ ∑ ∫ • π ƒ -¹ ² ³ °

You are not logged in.

#1 2007-01-31 13:38:41

MathsIsFun
Administrator

Real and Imaginary Numbers

I thought I should give Real and Imaginary Numbers their own pages, so here they are:

Real Numbers

Imaginary Numbers

I have tried to express the ideas simply, so please let me know:
* if it is easy to understand
* if I have over-simplified
* or any ideas you might have for improving

"The physicists defer only to mathematicians, and the mathematicians defer only to God ..."  - Leon M. Lederman

#2 2007-01-31 18:42:36

Toast
Real Member

Re: Real and Imaginary Numbers

Hmmm that's pretty cool, good job on those pages smile. Aren't imaginary*real numbers complex, and not imaginary?

#3 2007-02-02 05:22:07

power man

Nice page math teacher finds it useful

I hate people who hate people.
most people make mistakes, butt not me! smile smile
why     is     it     when     you     are     writing     something     important     you     run     out       of        spa

#4 2007-02-02 07:22:58

mathsyperson

Very nice pages. I can't see any errors on there, and everything is very well explained, as always. You've got me intrigued by the non-real numbers that mathematicians like to play with though.

To Toast, multiplying a real and an imaginary number together will indeed get you a complex number, but only because every number ever is complex. The result will also be imaginary. You get exclusively complex numbers by adding real and imaginary ones.

Why did the vector cross the road?
It wanted to be normal.

#5 2007-02-02 09:14:10

MathsIsFun
Administrator

Thanks, mathsy. Example: Hyperreals are an extension of Reals that include infinites and infinitesimals.

And, yes, complex numbers include imaginary, real and combinations of imaginary and real. I should write a page, hey?

"The physicists defer only to mathematicians, and the mathematicians defer only to God ..."  - Leon M. Lederman

Board footer