Math Is Fun Forum

Discussion about math, puzzles, games and fun.   Useful symbols: ÷ × ½ √ ∞ ≠ ≤ ≥ ≈ ⇒ ± ∈ Δ θ ∴ ∑ ∫ • π ƒ -¹ ² ³ °

You are not logged in.

#1 2007-01-29 00:07:21

Toast
Real Member

Dealing with Procrastination

Well, school is coming up on the 31st and as usual I wanna try and ace everything (lol), so when I get into the year I try really hard and do all my homework etc...

However, later on in the year (and this can start quite early), I tend to lose focus and instead of doing homework I browse the internet or watch TV. So I always tend to get to work on my projects really late and hence sleep really late. I think the record for the latest I've slept last year was sometime around 4:30 am.
And of course the final result is that my marks have dropped a lot since year 6 (the final no-brainer year), not so much for my exams, but for projects and homework.

How do you deal with procrastination?

I better get to sleep now... sleep

Last edited by Toast (2007-01-29 00:07:44)

#2 2007-01-29 01:37:23

mathsyperson

Re: Dealing with Procrastination

I've procrastinated on lots of things for a long time now, and in my experience there's nothing that really cures it except for an imminent deadline.

The only thing that I've learnt to do is to use it do to other stuff than the thing that I'm procrastinating on. For example, if I need to get a big project done and I'm procrastinating on it, then I use the time that I should be spending on the project to do other bits of homework instead. It's not as good as just not procrastinating in the first place, but at least I'm still being productive. I often find that just after I hand in a big project, I'll be able to have a rest for a while with no work to do whatsoever because of this.

As for actually beating procrastination, I'm not sure what would be best for that. I'll have a think about it later. wink

Why did the vector cross the road?
It wanted to be normal.

#3 2007-01-29 03:15:37

Ricky

I'll reply back to this topic a bit later...

"In the real world, this would be a problem.  But in mathematics, we can just define a place where this problem doesn't exist.  So we'll go ahead and do that now..."

#4 2007-01-29 08:47:11

MathsIsFun
Administrator

I love music, so I set my system up with the speakers either side of my study desk. Thus if I wanted to listen to music I had to be sitting at my desk ... and I may as well do something while listening. Worked for me.

"The physicists defer only to mathematicians, and the mathematicians defer only to God ..."  - Leon M. Lederman

#5 2007-01-29 08:51:06

Toast
Real Member

Yes, music has indeed helped a lot, it makes things a lot more bearable and interesting.

#6 2007-01-29 09:44:20

mathsyperson

I try that sometimes, but the problem I have with that is that I dance (term used loosely) to it too much and so I can't write or type or read or do anything else. It works on occasion, but I usually end up having to pick slower music to stop any dance outbursts. Unfortunately, that tends to relax me too much and so I can't concentrate anyway.

Edit: I just remembered something else that I sometimes do. I buy myself something that I want (like a new CD or game or something), sit it sealed on my desk, and forbid myself from opening it until I get the project/work/etc. done. If I think that I'll be particularly tempted to open it before I finish whatever I'm meant to be doing, then I'll occasionally get someone else to hide it from me, but I'm usually quite strong-willed and manage to resist until I finish. Besides, the sight of it helps me work harder.

Why did the vector cross the road?
It wanted to be normal.

#7 2007-01-29 21:41:25

justlookingforthemoment

Yes, I always listen to music. And I started school today.

The only problem with playing music for me is that sometimes the thing I'm putting off is practicing an instrument or arranging a piece of music for school! So, the music actually stops me from practicing, if you know what I mean.

Things to stop procrastinating:
1. A tidy work area. I think this stops me getting distracted. My desk at the moment includes a massive pile of paper, pens, music, CDs, books, computer/camera cables and a ukulele. I don't get much work done ...
2. Prioritise things. Sometimes this works for me, sometimes it doesn't.
3. Set timelines for when things should be finished. Like, 'Colouring in my picture for art isn't as important as studying for my maths test, so in half an hour I'm going to stop working on art homework even if it isn't finished.' That was a bad example but you get the point hopefully.

Um, that's all for now I think. By tomorrow when the real homework starts I'll see if I have any more tips (if you can even call them that!).

Board footer