Math Is Fun Forum

Discussion about math, puzzles, games and fun.   Useful symbols: ÷ × ½ √ ∞ ≠ ≤ ≥ ≈ ⇒ ± ∈ Δ θ ∴ ∑ ∫ • π ƒ -¹ ² ³ °

You are not logged in.

#1 2006-12-14 04:07:53

mikau

Eragon: The books, the movie

Anyone else read Eragon and Eldest?

Me and my sisters read the first two books and we can't wait for the third.

The movie comes out tommorow! :-)

Its crazy, the author is only 21 and started writing Eragon at 15!

A logarithm is just a misspelled algorithm.

#2 2006-12-14 22:56:57

LQ
Real Member

Re: Eragon: The books, the movie

Which country?

Perhaps I will see Eragon. I will call my mom right now.

I see clearly now, the universe have the black dots, Thus I am on my way of inventing this remedy...

#3 2006-12-15 01:14:03

Toast
Real Member

I saw Eragon yesterday - it was quite interesting. I've yet to read the book although I have borrowed it and intend to read it after I've done some more maths tongue.

#4 2006-12-15 02:26:11

LQ
Real Member

I'm going to watch it this evening. 18:30 gmt+1

I see clearly now, the universe have the black dots, Thus I am on my way of inventing this remedy...

#5 2006-12-15 08:45:39

mikau

I'll probably wait a week as I don't like opening night crowds. Or crowds at all for that matter.

The premise of the story, for those who haven't heard, the dragon riders in some ways are a bit like the Jedi's in Star wars. The dragon riders were like an old world police force that protected the people and the land in the world of Alegaesia. Each dragon rider is chosen by destiny and a dragon egg doesn't hatch until its destined rider approaches it. However a powerfull rider by the name of Galbatorix went mad when his dragon died. He stole another dragon with the help of sorcery and waged war against the other riders. The remaining riders were utterly defeated and all but galbatorix' dragon was killed. With no riders to uppose him Galbatorix claimed the throne of Alegaesia and has ruled as a tyrant for many generations (dragon riders live very long). However, three dragon eggs remained unhatched. Galbatorix locked the eggs away in his fortress where no one could approach them. But the Varden, a group of people who've sworn to fight Galbatorix, manage to steal one of the eggs. They ferry the egg back and forth across the world allowing hundreds of people to approach it. Hoping one will be its destined rider. A rider strong enough to overthrow Galbatorix. But in the opening scene of the book, as members of the Varden are transporting the egg to another location, they are ambushed by servants of the king. Just before the egg courier is captured, she magically teleports the egg to a far away location to keep it from the hands of the king. Eragon finds the egg while hunting and brings it home. And you can probably figure out the rest. The story mostly inolves Eragon training to become powerfull enough to defeat the king. Though it looks pretty hopeless since the king was able to defeat many well experienced riders in his rise to power. However, there are still two unclaimed eggs who's riders are yet to be found.

Some have said there is nothing at all original about the story and that all of it has been done before. But if you look at how the books been flying off the shelves, that appearently doesn't matter. A good story nontheless. Innovation isn't everything.

Last edited by mikau (2006-12-15 08:54:17)

#6 2006-12-15 08:54:12

Devantè
Real Member

mikau wrote:

Anyone else read Eragon and Eldest?

Me and my sisters read the first two books and we can't wait for the third.

The movie comes out tommorow! :-)

Its crazy, the author is only 21 and started writing Eragon at 15!

I read Eragon and Eldest, quite long ago. Very good stories. The third is likely to be named 'Empire', but I think it might be called 'Ending'. I can't wait to see the movie, I've been a fan of the Inheritance Trilogy books for such a long period of time.

Great to know someone else who has read the books.

Spoiler: Some say that Roran or Arya could be the second rider. Another source also suggests that Nasuada might be the third rider. It is likely to be female. But...which side shall the last rider be on?

The third book will feature a GREEN DRAGON, with the dragon facing the left. The book cover will also be GREEN. Eragon's fortune-telling will also come into action (remember from the first book, Eragon? wink ).

#7 2006-12-15 08:58:07

mikau

Teehee! Couldn't have been too long. The books haven't been out for very long.

Roran or Arya the Second rider? Don't you mean third? :-)

Some say it could be Elva (that wench is dang creepy) but I doubt it. Oromis referred to her as "one who is not a rider, that bears the riders mark" as if she were the fulfillment of some prophecy. So that wouldn't make sense if she became the third rider.

But I agree its most likely female. It could end up being Katrina.

Last edited by mikau (2006-12-15 09:05:56)

#8 2006-12-15 09:00:16

Devantè
Real Member

True. But then again, the answer is probably right in front of us. It could even be a totally new character.

Yep, I meant THIRD rider. wink

#9 2006-12-15 09:04:56

mikau

"Ending" Pfft! Hahaha... was that a joke?
Wouldn't that be original...

I still say the author left too much to do for the third book. It still feels like we're just getting started. The last book will probably be three times the combined length of the first two books.

#10 2006-12-15 09:05:13

Devantè
Real Member

EMPIRE%20COVER%20SPOOF12.jpeg

#11 2006-12-15 09:06:22

Devantè
Real Member

Now isn't that cool. cool

#12 2006-12-15 09:07:04

mikau

WWWWOOOOOWWWW!!! yikes

Where did you get that? Is that the official cover?

#13 2006-12-15 09:08:30

Devantè
Real Member

mikau wrote:

WWWWOOOOOWWWW!!! yikes

Where did you get that? Is that the official cover?

It was released in an official article, but we still don't know if it is official or not.

It could be Paolini tricking us...

#14 2006-12-15 09:09:53

mikau

Yeah, if not then they've really taken fan art to the next level.

Hey that dragon has a beard! I guess he must be male.

#15 2006-12-15 09:12:19

Devantè
Real Member

It's definitely the last egg we know of, that's for sure.

Anybody got any other ideas?

#16 2006-12-15 09:13:59

mikau

Well we could eat lunch! :-D

#17 2006-12-15 09:15:06

mikau

When do you think this books going to hit the shelves? I'd hope Summer 07.

#18 2006-12-15 09:17:11

Devantè
Real Member

Vanir could also be the last rider. We obviously know that he is pure elf, and that the first rider was an elf by the name of Eragon.

Vanir is still quite young, but he still has the skills to be trained into becoming a rider.

#19 2006-12-15 09:18:33

mikau

Vanir... is that the guy that kepting pwning Eragon in sword fights?

#20 2006-12-15 09:22:22

Devantè
Real Member

Yep. Poor Eragon. big_smile

Also, interview with Christopher Paolini, reveals a little about the third book:

<Mike> Thanks for joining us! smile
<CP> My pleasure. I've been looking forward to this smile
<CP> Happy Birthday to your site as well.
<Mike> Alright, we've got about 400 people here, and hundreds of questions, so lets get started!
<Mike> Thank you very much.
<Mike> Jeffrey Wisenbaugh "Flint Journal" asks "How far, Mr. Paolini, are you in the third book of the Inheritance Series? When you are finished do you have anymore projects for the land of Alagasia?"
<CP> Since returning from book tour, late last year, I've been plowing through Book III as fast as possible.
<CP> I don't want to say exactly where I am.
<CP> Since I don't really know myself
<CP> The book just keeps getting longer smile
<CP> However, I've been making good progress
<CP> As for what I intend to to after the Inheritance Trilogy, I'm not quite sure. I do know that I would like to return to Alagasia sometime in the future.
<CP> But it won't be the first thing I do after Book III.
<Mike> I'm glad to hear it!
<Mike> I'd just like to ask the users to please stop private messaging me, as I do find it extremely distracting. wink
<Mike> Cyfo asks "Who is more popular to the Varden, Eragon or Nasuada? Who is respected more and also who do the people believe to be a better 'leader' (eg. Eraggon suggests attacking at dawn, Nasuada says they should wait till midday... Who will people believe is right?).
<CP> The Varden respect both Eragon and Nasuada, for obvious reasons with each. However, I would say that, by the end of Eldest, the Varden still consider Nasuada a better leader than Eragon. Whether that changes in Book III, is, of course, something you'll have to wait to find out.
<Mike> Alex asks "Was Brom's dragon red? If not, what color was Brom's dragon?"
<CP> This particular piece of information has NOT been mentioned in the trilogy, but judging from the name Saphira, I think it's fair to say that Brom's dragon was blue.
<Mike> Blue's a good color.
<CP> Oh yes smile
<Mike> Nosferatu asks "What happened to the first Dragon Rider?"
<CP> You mean Eragon?
<Mike> Yes.
<CP> I'm not prepared to answer that at the moment. Sorry smile
<Mike> Not a problem.
<Mike> Rowen asks "Did you ever feel like the story overpowered you, that the books wrote themselves and not the other way around?"
<CP> Yes. I usually produce my best writing when that happens. It's the sort of thing that every author dreams of, the book writing itself. To me, it almost feels like magic, when a tide of images and emotions sweeps through you and onto the page.... Gives me a tingle down the spine just thinking about it.
<Mike> Very interesting... we're getting some good questions!
<CP> Indeed.
<Mike> Just a note to everyonewe're no longer taking questions.
<Mike> Arith asks "How do you write? Do you need music or anything special in background?"
<CP> I usually listen to classical music or movie soundtracks. I find that appropriate melodies make my work easier.
<Mike> Have any favorites?
<CP> Too many to list....
<Mike> I'm the same way! A variety is good.
<CP> Yes.
<Mike> Achiliese asks "If you could have one day in Alagaesia, as any person, from any race, and be able to do anything you wish, what would it be?"
<CP> Oh, that's easy. I would love to visit the dwarves and either listen to or write one of their operas. Nothing like a good dwarvish song to get your blood flowing!
<Mike> One can never forget you speaking dwarvish
<CP> It's fun.
<Mike> Many people say that was their favorite part of your speeches during the tour.
<Bob> It was. Definitely one of the best parts.
<Fuoco> I think we have several videos of it on the site in various places now.
<CP> It was the part of my presentation I enjoyed the most, after Q&A.
<Mike> We do!
<Mike> Yeah.
<Mike> Alright, now I've got a question that EVERYONE would love to know the answer to.
<Mike> The Eragon movie...
<Mike> What input did you have, if any, in the making of the movie?
<CP> Ahh. The Eragon movie is Fox 2000's version of my story. I had no control over their decisions. I have not seen the final version of the screenplay, nor the movie itself. We just have to wait and see how it turns out and hope for the best. In any case, the books speak for themselves.
<Bob> We've all got our fingers crossed.
<Mike> Chey asks "How long do you write the books a week, on average?"
<CP> I write every day of the week except today, Sunday. An occasional break helps keep me sane.
<Mike> Sanity is good.
<Mike> Rinion asks "Is Elva’s caretaker in "Eldest" (Greta) the same lady who first asked Eragon to bless Elva in "Eragon"?
<CP> Yes.
<Mike> Farthendur asks "Do you enjoy being the hero of thousands of fans?"
<CP> It's nice of you to say that, but I'm the same person I have always been. I'm just grateful that I'm able to pursue my dreams for a living.
<Mike> If you didn't end up making it as an author, what had you planned for career-wise for your future?
<CP> Who knows? I might have chosen to pursue my interest in art, after going to college.
<CP> I do know
<CP> that I would have continued to tell stories
<CP> however I could
<CP> whether with writing, drawing, or some other media.
<Mike> Well, we're all glad that Eragon was discovered! All of your hard work has definitely paid off.
<CP> It's been ninety percent hard work, and ten percent incredible luck.
<CP> As I said before
<CP> I'm just incredibly grateful that I can do this for a living.
<Mike> smile
<Mike> Rstar asks "What's your favourite word in the ancient language?"
<CP> I'm a big fan of "Edur Carthungava" (it sounds so good), but my all time favorite is still "Brisingr!".
<Mike> A fine word!
<CP> Thank you.
<Mike> Shur'tugal is a good word too. wink
<CP> Yes, a very, very good word.
<Mike> smile
<Mike> No_One asks "Where did werecats come from and how did you get the idea for them?"
<CP> To be honest, it was my sister, Angela, who first suggested the idea of a werecat. When she did, I liked the concept so much, that I promptly put Solembum in Eragon. And since Angela was responsible for him, I decided that Solembum and Angela the Herbalist would be friends.
<Mike> A good idea!
<CP> They're two of my favorite characters.
<Mike> Same here! Ever since my first favorite character was murdered.......
<CP> Hah.
<CP> I do tend to do that ...
<Mike> Indeed you do!
<CP> It keeps things interesting.
<Bob> I think Mike is still a little bummed about Brom's death.
<Mike> I have a feeling you won't be killing off Angela the Herbalist... otherwise you'd have an angry Angela to deal with!
<CP> That's true. However, I refuse to divulge the ultimate fate of any of my characters.
<Mike> Of course. tongue
<CP> You never know, I just might ...
<Mike> Pure evil.
<Mike> Bleeding Heart asks "Is it possible that Eragon has any other family memebers that he doesn't know about?"
<CP> Anything is possible.
<Mike> [[Insert *dun dun dunnn* here.]]
<CP> lol
<Mike> Bob asks "Is the Eldest Deluxe Edition going to set back Book 3 at all? That is, because you have to write the extra features for the Deluxe Edition."
<CP> Nope. The deluxe edition of Eldest will have extra features, but they won't impede Book III because I wrote and figured out all of said features during my break after my book tour.
<CP> There's always something for me to work on.
<Mike> Never have a true "break," eh?
<CP> Breaks are boring.
<Mike> I have to agree.
<Mike> What's the biggest obstacle you've come upon while writing the books?
<CP> Getting myself to sit down and work on the book nearly every single day. Persistence is one of the most valuable skills an author can have, and also one of the hardest to earn.
<Mike> Aren't you ever tempted to play a computer game instead?
<CP> Every day. But I know that if go and play, Book III will never get finished. And that would make me just as unhappy as you.
<CP> if *I go and play
<Mike> A very good point.
<Bob> And we wouldn't want book 3 to go unfinished, now would we?
<CP> No.
<Mike> I think we'd cry.
<Mike> Now, we know you listen to music as you write... but has any part of the book ever been inspired by a specific song?
<CP> Not to my knowledge. (Sometimes these things happen on a subconscious level.) Since I figured out the plot to the trilogy before I started it, I don't have as much wiggle room as an author who is making it up as he or she goes along.
<Mike> Killed two birds with one stone. Someone wanted to know if you've planned it all out.
<CP> It keeps me from killing off characters that I might need later smile
<Mike> Well then, I'm glad you plan it out!
<CP> Many other fantasy authors I've met (Terry Brooks, for example) have told me that they do the same thing.
<Mike> It seems like a good idea... though I've never written any kind of book.
<Mike> Saphira02 asks "Will Saphira ever find a mate?"
<CP> You'll have to read Book III to find that out.
<Mike> I saw that coming.
<Mike> Are there any major differences between the Paolini Intl LLC copy of Eragon and the Random House copy of Eragon?
<CP> Yes. The obvious one is the the different cover art. However, the text was also shortened by about twenty thousand words. Eragon went from, roughly, 180,000 words to 160,000.
<Mike> Anything major lost in the cutting of 20,000 words?
<CP> My editor didn't remove anything that was important. It was really a process of trimming excess fat from the story, such as long traveling scenes and occasional sections of wandering dialogue. The underlying structure remained the same, however.
<CP> The process taught me a huge amount
<CP> about writing.
<CP> Knowledge that I tried to put to use in Eldest.
<CP> And just for the record, I had final say over every change suggested by Random House.
<Mike> That's always good.
<Mike> Thursday_Next asks "How has your writing success changed (if at all) your personal views, relationships/interactions with people inside and outside your comfort zone, and how do you feel about any such changes?"
<CP> Fortunately, my life has remained fairly normal at home. I still have to wash the dishes and scrub the floor and fold the laundry. Of course, when I leave the house and go on book tour, my life changes radically. Despite the number of times I've done it, I have yet to be comfortable with the attention, but I can't complain since I get to meet so many wonderful people at events.
<Mike> The events are definitely fun.
<CP> I'm glad you think so.
<Mike> Bob asks "When you write books after the Inheritance Trilogy, do you think you'll stay in the fantasy genre?"
<CP> Not necessarily. I would like to experiment in many other genres. After all, I've been working nonstop in fantasy since I was fifteen. Some variety would be nice. That said, I do love fantasy, I certainly intend to tell many more stories with dragons and elves and dwarves and everything else a good epic needs.
<Mike> I'm glad to hear that... fantasy books are my favorite.
<Mike> Can you tell us any more about Tornac?
<CP> The horse or the man?
<Bob> The man.
<CP> Ah. I'm afraid not. Again, you'll have to wait until Book III.
<Mike> Alrighty.
<Mike> Cover of book three. Good or bad dragon? smile
<CP> You know how I'm going to answer that ...
<CP> Read Book III!
<Bob> Hehe
<Mike> I know, I only asked because about 10,000 people asked it.
<Bob> And another 10,000 have asked what the title of Book III is.
<Mike> Ah, good question... decide on a title yet?
<CP> My editor and I are still discussing that.
<Mike> Okay. I still think you should name it "Ending".
<CP> I'll mention it to her.
<Bob> I think "Ending" is too simple.
<Mike> I have a feeling Michelle will shoot it down instantly. big_smile
<Mike> Any specific release date for the Eldest Deluxe Edition?
<CP> Fall 2006
<Mike> Is it just a coincidence that the color of the Dragon Rider's magic corresponds with the color of the Rider's dragon?
<CP> When a magician casts a spell, the color of his or her magic is determined by their personal preference. However, if you become linked with a dragon, the color of your magic automatically matches that of your dragon. You can modify that color if you want, though. So if Eragon wanted to create a fire that was red, he could.
<Mike> Interesting..
<Bob> Very
<Mike> That'll feed my theories.
<Mike> Are you a fan of dystopia subject books?
<CP> I'm a fan of post-apocalyptic science fiction.
<CP> Close enough.
<Mike> That was a question from Matt Heck, by the way.
<Mike> Chewbacca the Hobbit (Jacob) wants to know "Did anyone specific influence your decision to become an author?"
<CP> Pure dystopia is usually too depressing for me.
<CP> The biggest influence on me was my parents. They, above all else, encouraged me to pursue my interests, no matter what anyone else said or thought of my goals. Without their support, I never would have written or published Eragon or Eldest.
<Mike> Parents are very awesome people. Without my parents, Shur'tugal wouldn't be here... they covered the bills for the first year!
<CP> Hooray for parents!
<Bob> And if Shur'tugal wasn't here, lots of fans would be without a home!
<Mike> Reader 10 asks "How long did it take you to create some of the characters?"
<CP> It varies from character to character. Sometimes, as with Brom, the character jumps into my mind fully formed. Other times, as with Arya or Oromis, I have to think about them for a long time before I feel as if I really understand who these people are.
<CP> And of course, as I have progressed from Eragon to Eldest, and now Book III, many of my characters have surprised me by doing things I didn't expect, like when Eragon blessed/cursed Elva in Farthen Dur.
<CP> That was never in my original outline.
<Fuoco> Elva is quite an enigmatic character
<CP> I LIKE Elva.
<Bob> Elva is really quite cool.
<Mike> A lot of characters from Eldest are really cool.
<Mike> But no one beats out Angela.
<CP> Thank you.
<Fuoco> Can you tell us anymore about her character compared to the time of the podcast?
<Bob> So since she wasn't originally in the outline you have for the trilogy, Elva won't really play a huge part in the main plot?
<CP> Yes, Angela is the best, and not just because she's my sister.
<CP> As for Elva
<CP> I can't tell you any more, except to say that she will play an important part in Book III, as will every character.
<Mike> I've noticed that we saw a lot of the smaller characters from Eragon come back in Eldest... will the same happen between Eldest and Book III?
<CP> Again, you'll have read Book III to find that out.
<Mike> Is the Vault of Souls literally a... vault full of souls?
<CP> You have to know that I'm not going to answer that smile
<Mike> I know. big_smile
<Mike> Eragondude asks "If you knew your books were going to be published this widely, would you have done anything differently?"
<CP> The only thing I wish I could have done differently was to write all three books as one.
<Mike> That'd be one big book.
<CP> Aye.
<CP> But writing it as one would make it easier for me to keep everything straight and to make the trilogy as good as possible.
<Mike> I guess it has its ups and downs!
<Mike> Alright, I think that about wraps things up.
<Mike> Thank you very much for joining us, Christopher!
<Bob> It's been great having you here in the chat!
<Mike> And just to let you know, there's about 550 fans sitting here reading this interview!
<CP> And thank you, and everyone else who help arrange this wonderful chat. It has been fun.
<CP> I hope that my answers weren't too boring.
<Mike> Boring? Most definitely not.
<Nick> Yes, thank you CP for joining us and taking the time to answer our very many questions.
<CP> My pleasure.

#21 2006-12-15 09:42:34

mikau

Very interesting!

Best line: <Mike> I'd just like to ask the users to please stop private messaging me, as I do find it extremely distracting. :-)

That made me crack up. I can just imagine him being bombarded by hundreds of private messages...

Indeed, Paolini is a pretty cool guy. I can't wait for the third book!

#22 2006-12-15 09:43:56

Devantè
Real Member

First time there has been an interesting Paolini interview, I think. smile

#23 2006-12-15 09:47:48

mikau

He must also be a pretty smart fellow. He graduated highschool at 15.

I don't remember Tornac at all. Who is he?

#24 2006-12-15 19:25:54

Devantè
Real Member

To be honest, I remember seeing his name, but I don't actually remember who he was.

#25 2006-12-15 22:18:23

espeon
Real Member

i read eragon and i have eldest and im waiting for empire. the one devante got is the official cover and its way good! woooooooooooo must finish eldest now if i can be bothered

Presenting the Prinny dance.
Take this dood! Huh doood!!! HUH DOOOOD!?!? DOOD HUH!!!!!! DOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Board footer