Math Is Fun Forum

Discussion about math, puzzles, games and fun.   Useful symbols: ÷ × ½ √ ∞ ≠ ≤ ≥ ≈ ⇒ ± ∈ Δ θ ∴ ∑ ∫ • π ƒ -¹ ² ³ °

You are not logged in.

#1 2006-10-09 06:36:27

cray

The absolute majesty of mathematics!

I use the media player called "Winamp" rather than the Microsoft media player
and there is a really beautiful visualisation plugin that can be used with winamp
called "Milkdrop".  I believe some of the mathematics and algorithms used to create its effects are bordering on genius (if not the real thing)
This milkdrop program is simply some of the best maths I have seen as applied to desktop entertainment.    Winamp is free and so is milkdrop
I would urge everyone to try this - Beautiful is the only word I can use but if you disagree - ah well some maths is in the eye of the beholder.
THE MAIN INTEREST IS THAT YOU CAN REPROGRAM THESE PLUGINS WITH YOU OWN MATHEMATICS
Dont judge it within the first few seconds though it seems to interpret the music better after about a minute of the track playing and then just gets more intensely interesting
milkdrop
http://www.nullsoft.com/free/milkdrop/

winamp
http://www.winamp.com/

Last edited by cray (2006-10-09 06:46:38)

#2 2006-11-01 03:36:18

Toast
Real Member

Re: The absolute majesty of mathematics!

Well, I've just tried it, and I've got to say it's pretty extraordinary. Although some of the animations might look a bit weird, overall it blends well into the music.
Most of these animation, I find, are very fast paced and bright (at times a little dizzying), so milkdrop is probably more suited to loud or energetic music. But yeh, you should at least try it.

#3 2006-11-01 09:21:13

MathsIsFun
Administrator

I also use Winamp (Media Player is slow to start and seems to "get in the way" all the time when all I want to do is play some music), and Milkdrop is great. Try "Acidspunk II" as well.

"The physicists defer only to mathematicians, and the mathematicians defer only to God ..."  - Leon M. Lederman

#4 2006-11-03 15:50:18

Jai Ganesh
Administrator

cray,
As a matter of fact the computer thinks in 0s and 1s. Unlike us human beings who are used to the deciaml system.
The decimal system (Base 10) originiated because we have ten fingers in our hands.
For convenience, the decimal system is being used by us humans.
However, the binary is a far more efficient and functionally ideal system.
That is why, when the Universe is  searched for Extra Terreterial life, the binary code is sent through the communicators. smile

It appears to me that if one wants to make progress in mathematics, one should study the masters and not the pupils. - Niels Henrik Abel.

Nothing is better than reading and gaining more and more knowledge - Stephen William Hawking.

Board footer