Math Is Fun Forum

Discussion about math, puzzles, games and fun.   Useful symbols: ÷ × ½ √ ∞ ≠ ≤ ≥ ≈ ⇒ ± ∈ Δ θ ∴ ∑ ∫ • π ƒ -¹ ² ³ °

You are not logged in.

#1 2006-10-26 22:50:39

Devantè
Real Member

If You Could Change Anything...

Let's say that you were God, or you controlled the entire Earth. What would you do if you could do anything to it?

For example, would you end world hunger? Or perhaps, give yourself as much wealth as possible? Would you alter the seasons? Would you make the Earth warmer?

There are many things that one could do in this position. What I'm asking you, however, is what you would do if you were the largest and biggest source of power imaginable, and could destroy or rebuild the Earth by clicking your fingers. I'm interested in what you would do, however, and what you think the right thing to do.

Then, when you've done that, consider this; You can only change one aspect of the Earth in one way. What that change is is up to you.

#2 2006-10-27 05:21:53

luca-deltodesco

Re: If You Could Change Anything...

i would desimate the vast majority of the worlds population and keep it only in places where there is enough resources, right enviroment, sure i killed billions of people, but from now on in, there will be no world poverty, and from there on in, the human race can advance at a much faster rate.

The Beginning Of All Things To End.
The End Of All Things To Come.

#3 2006-10-27 05:22:57

luca-deltodesco

it would also be quite interesting, if i created a new species, so that humans where no longer at the top of the food chain, and were hunted.. kind of like a sci fi moving ranging over hundreds of years, where the primitave creatures hunting the humans for food, and the humans use their technology to try and combat them.

#4 2006-10-27 06:41:35

Ricky

I would make asking hypothetical philosophical questions which never have a hope of being reality punishable by death.

How's that for an answer?

"In the real world, this would be a problem.  But in mathematics, we can just define a place where this problem doesn't exist.  So we'll go ahead and do that now..."

#5 2006-10-28 06:22:06

All_Is_Number

Devanté wrote:

Let's say that you were God, or you controlled the entire Earth. What would you do if you could do anything to it?

For example, would you end world hunger? Or perhaps, give yourself as much wealth as possible? Would you alter the seasons? Would you make the Earth warmer?

There are many things that one could do in this position. What I'm asking you, however, is what you would do if you were the largest and biggest source of power imaginable, and could destroy or rebuild the Earth by clicking your fingers. I'm interested in what you would do, however, and what you think the right thing to do.

Then, when you've done that, consider this; You can only change one aspect of the Earth in one way. What that change is is up to you.

Assumptions:

1. God created the universe, including its contents
2. God is all knowing.
3. God is all powerful.

Based on these two assumptions, I would do absolutely nothing. Any intervention (via miracles) would imply that I did not get it right the first time when I created the Earth, contradicting assumptions 2 and 3.

Of course, this logic also implies that free will is an illusion. I don't feel this is an unreasonable conclusion, considering that a true Theory Of Everything (Unified Field Theory) would imply the same thing, as anything could be predicted based an the initial state of the universe.

You can shear a sheep many times but skin him only once.

#6 2006-10-28 09:21:31

luca-deltodesco

All_Is_Number wrote:

would imply the same thing, as anything could be predicted based an the initial state of the universe.

i got shouted down by RE teacher for saying that tongue

#7 2006-10-28 19:47:26

George,Y

No, since Ancient Rome, Christian puppas have admitted some occasions for free will.(Philosophy, Microsoft Encarta Encyclopedia)

Acctually, free will does not play as a big part as people imagine. Only few of us could  enjoy its real benefits. And most of the time, free will is just a reason to punish that who did not bend to the person he/she now turns for help.

Celebrities would talk about how free will shaped them. Behind them are thousands of times more who bear the preach:" You chose it, you bear it!"

X'(y-Xβ)=0

#8 2006-10-29 09:12:16

rida
Real Member

I would end poverty.

Dreams don't come true, you gotta make them come true.

#9 2006-10-29 10:02:49

Zach

All_Is_Number wrote:

Assumptions:

1. God created the universe, including its contents
2. God is all knowing.
3. God is all powerful.

Based on these two assumptions, I would do absolutely nothing. Any intervention (via miracles) would imply that I did not get it right the first time when I created the Earth, contradicting assumptions 2 and 3.

Of course, this logic also implies that free will is an illusion. I don't feel this is an unreasonable conclusion, considering that a true Theory Of Everything (Unified Field Theory) would imply the same thing, as anything could be predicted based an the initial state of the universe.

God's world was perfect. He could not fail at perfection, for He Himself is perfect. It is the Free Will of Humanity that has ruined this pathetic world.

If I were THE God, as the Christians believe, I'd use my upmost power to will the earth into turmoil, I'd being forth Ragnarok, willing into being the manifest of hatred that has been spawned by the disgusting beings that litter this earth.  All will be purged save for those who are capable of justifying their existance, those who have a grasp for life and those who are worthy of my gift of life.

Boy let me tell you what:
I bet you didn't know it, but I'm a fiddle player too.
And if you'd care to take a dare, I'll make a bet with you.

#10 2006-10-30 01:30:16

Ninja 101

I would give people the knowledge for immortality (e.g. cyborg creation)

Chaos is found in greatest abundance wherever order is being saught. It always defeats order, because it is better organized.

#11 2006-10-30 04:49:22

All_Is_Number

Zach wrote:

God's world was perfect. He could not fail at perfection, for He Himself is perfect. It is the Free Will of Humanity that has ruined this pathetic world.

If God's world was perfect, and he could not fail at perfection, then it would be impossible for any of his perfect creatures (remember, he could not fail at perfection.) to ruin this world, another of his perfect creations. After all, God exists eternally, that is he exists independently of time. Therefore his creations could not be perfect at one time, but not at another time.

If God is perfect, then the world, complete with it's current "problems," is also perfect.

#12 2006-10-30 11:25:46

Zach

He did not fail in perfection. Humans were created perfect, in the image of perfection and his gift of free will was perfect. However, that perfection was merely shattered one addition into the equation; The Devil.

Boy let me tell you what:
I bet you didn't know it, but I'm a fiddle player too.
And if you'd care to take a dare, I'll make a bet with you.

#13 2006-10-30 14:21:11

All_Is_Number

Zach wrote:

He did not fail in perfection. Humans were created perfect, in the image of perfection and his gift of free will was perfect. However, that perfection was merely shattered one addition into the equation; The Devil.

The Devil was one of God's perfect creations, also. If the devil is not doing exactly as God intended, then God was not perfect in his creation, which would mean God is not perfect or all powerful.

Last edited by All_Is_Number (2006-10-30 15:01:31)

#14 2006-10-30 17:45:40

Toast
Real Member

Someone tell me how god can make 2+2=5?
Not so powerful after all.

#15 2006-10-30 19:42:37

Devantè
Real Member

He could change the laws of our base system and it's values, maybe?

#16 2006-10-31 01:37:27

Patrick
Real Member

or he could just write an Q.E.D. at the end... Quod ego dico, not quod erat demonstrandum ofcourse wink

Support MathsIsFun.com by clicking on the banners.
What music do I listen to? Clicky click

#17 2006-10-31 03:32:43

Toast
Real Member

Ye... but, if you've got two apples, then another two apples, you've got four...logic. Well, I guess if god can make 2=2.5 then he might have a chance...and I don't see how altering bases would help.

Ok, for god's sake, lets see how he could make 1+1=3, where 1 is not a pronumeral.
One apple, plus another apple, and wow you've got yikes three apples.

Last edited by Toast (2006-10-31 03:37:01)

#18 2006-10-31 04:10:20

Devantè
Real Member

I only have one word for it: Mathematical magic.

I know that's two words, yeah. tongue

Last edited by Devanté (2006-10-31 04:22:44)

#19 2019-11-06 20:47:03

Monox D. I-Fly

Toast wrote:

Ok, for god's sake, lets see how he could make 1+1=3, where 1 is not a pronumeral.
One apple, plus another apple, and wow you've got yikes three apples.

Well, he did it with Adam and Eve. Wait, that's actually 1 + 1 = 6.

Actually I never watch Star Wars and not interested in it anyway, but I choose a Yoda card as my avatar in honor of our great friend bobbym who has passed away.
May his adventurous soul rest in peace at heaven.

#20 2019-12-07 20:52:40

Jai Ganesh
Administrator

My wish : Knowledge to combat ignorance, and wisdom to do away greed.

It appears to me that if one wants to make progress in mathematics, one should study the masters and not the pupils. - Niels Henrik Abel.

Nothing is better than reading and gaining more and more knowledge - Stephen William Hawking.

Board footer