Math Is Fun Forum

Discussion about math, puzzles, games and fun.   Useful symbols: ÷ × ½ √ ∞ ≠ ≤ ≥ ≈ ⇒ ± ∈ Δ θ ∴ ∑ ∫ • π ƒ -¹ ² ³ °

You are not logged in.

#1 2006-10-04 20:34:10

MathsIsFun
Administrator

Quantum Teleportation

Danish researchers "teleport" quantum information: http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20061004/sc_ … ation_dc_1

I think it is more about the future of computing than transport, but one can always hope.

"The physicists defer only to mathematicians, and the mathematicians defer only to God ..."  - Leon M. Lederman

#2 2006-10-09 05:03:09

cray

Re: Quantum Teleportation

I think it is more about the future of computing than transport, but one can always hope

Why do you say that?  Surely this is a major breakthrough. I had heard about the quantume entanglement study in which they teleported a light beam, but until this experiment was conducted (unless its a hoax or mistake) scientists had thought matter transport no matter how small was centuries away

#3 2006-10-09 05:24:47

Patrick
Real Member

cray wrote:

I think it is more about the future of computing than transport, but one can always hope

Why do you say that?  Surely this is a major breakthrough. I had heard about the quantume entanglement study in which they teleported a light beam, but until this experiment was conducted (unless its a hoax or mistake) scientists had thought matter transport no matter how small was centuries away

The place this experiment was done, is an institute at the University of Copenhagen called the Niels Bohr Institute. A hoax? This would totally ruin the reputation of the university as a whole, so I don't think it's a hoax.

Support MathsIsFun.com by clicking on the banners.
What music do I listen to? Clicky click

#4 2006-10-09 05:29:07

mathsyperson

I don't fully understand that article. It states that they "teleported the information a distance of half a meter but believe it can be extended further."

So, does that mean that they somehow converted their object into data, put that data into a light beam and teleported it across? Or did they actually teleport the object itself?

Because if they only teleported the information then as MathsIsFun said, it's more useful for computing etc. than transport. There's not much point in being teleported if you're stuck as bits of data at the other end.

Why did the vector cross the road?
It wanted to be normal.

#5 2006-10-09 06:00:03

Patrick
Real Member

Hmm, it's a shame the article on the institutes page isn't translated into english, because it was explained very well in the danish version. Some of it is, however and can be found here: http://www.nbi.ku.dk/page129736.htm

I have a book about cryptography somewhere.. Where is it now... Can't fint it, but I think the writer was called Simon Singh, and the book was called The Code Book. Anyway, it had a very nice chapter about this kind of communication and, especially, the cryptography that's the whole basis of this kind of 'safe' communication. If you wonna know more about the subject, and have no prior knowledge you should try to get your hands on it.

Last edited by Patrick (2006-10-09 06:01:14)

Support MathsIsFun.com by clicking on the banners.
What music do I listen to? Clicky click

#6 2006-10-09 06:36:21

luca-deltodesco

i believe what its saying, is that rather than entangeling the matter itself, they sort of encode the state of the matter into photons, which are teleported, and from the photons, it rebuilds the matter.

The Beginning Of All Things To End.
The End Of All Things To Come.

Board footer