Math Is Fun Forum

Discussion about math, puzzles, games and fun.   Useful symbols: ÷ × ½ √ ∞ ≠ ≤ ≥ ≈ ⇒ ± ∈ Δ θ ∴ ∑ ∫ • π ƒ -¹ ² ³ °

You are not logged in.

#1 2024-04-30 14:13:17

G4B_r09
Novice

Hi from Brazil!

Hello! My name is Gabriel, and I am a freshman (9th grader) from Brazil. I have used Math is Fun as a very useful learning tool for a couple of years, but never acknowledged the existence of this forum. I participate in science olympiads, mostly math-based. My dream is becoming an engineer, and for short-term it is getting into the IMO, which I consider one of the most prestigious Math olympiads worldwide.

Good to be here!

(I might include a bible verse in my signature or elsewhere because I'm Christian, hope that doesn't bother anybody.) big_smile

"For God so loved the world, that He gave His only Son, so that everyone who believes in Him will not perish, but have eternal life." John 3:16 wink

#2 2024-04-30 14:48:16

Jai Ganesh
Administrator

Re: Hi from Brazil!

Hi Gabriel,

Welcome to the forum!

It appears to me that if one wants to make progress in mathematics, one should study the masters and not the pupils. - Niels Henrik Abel.

Nothing is better than reading and gaining more and more knowledge - Stephen William Hawking.

#3 2024-04-30 20:06:00

Bob
Administrator

hi Gabriel

It's great to have you as a new member. Thanks for joining.

Bob

Children are not defined by school ...........The Fonz
You cannot teach a man anything;  you can only help him find it within himself..........Galileo Galilei
Sometimes I deliberately make mistakes, just to test you!  …………….Bob smile

#4 2024-05-01 03:41:02

KerimF

G4B_r09 wrote:

Hello!
(I might include a bible verse in my signature or elsewhere because I'm Christian, hope that doesn't bother anybody.) big_smile

Welcome to the forum, Gabriel.

And I hope you had the chance to become no more of the world.
I mean those who find themselves having no choice but to be guided by the natural preprogrammed instructions embedded in their living flesh (called instincts of survival, superiority, selfishness and imposing rules on others, to name a few, are of the world. And they are very important to its continuous progress, by building and destroying it whenever necessary, as all other living things are important.

The only real freedom, a human, unlike all other living things, may have, is having the choice to defeat or not his natural robotic nature; for example, by loving even his enemies, by being humble while he has all the means to impose his superiority on others, by seeing others as an extension of his existence and by not resisting evil in the name of any justice. But, by opposing/defeating the human robotic nature, a human cannot be seen of the world anymore and the world has no choice but to hate him in one way or another (up to kill him in some cases).

The good news is that no matter if someone is of the world or not, he is very welcomed in this scientific friendly forum.

Kerim (I am 75)

Sorry... It seems I was a philosopher since I was a kid playing with kids who used to tease me by shouting on the street, once a while, "Here is the modern philosopher" smile

Every living thing has no choice but to execute its pre-programmed instructions embedded in it (known as instincts).
But only a human may have the freedom and ability to oppose his natural robotic nature.
But, by opposing it, such a human becomes no more of this world.

Board footer