Math Is Fun Forum

Discussion about math, puzzles, games and fun.   Useful symbols: ÷ × ½ √ ∞ ≠ ≤ ≥ ≈ ⇒ ± ∈ Δ θ ∴ ∑ ∫ • π ƒ -¹ ² ³ °

You are not logged in.

#1 2024-03-29 12:27:22

nycguitarguy

Absolute Value Function

Given the absolute value function y = | x |, do A through E.

A. Determine if the function is even, odd, or neither.

B. Find the intercepts.

C. Find the domain and range.

D. Find local maximum and local minimum, if any.

E. Graph the function.

#2 2024-03-29 21:13:44

Bob
Administrator

Re: Absolute Value Function

B. Find the intercepts.

E. Graph the function.

You've posted a lot of questions, all asking for the same, just with different functions.

I'll go through what to do for this one.  Hopefully, you can then do the rest yourself. smile

A  Try positive and negatives separately here as the absolute function depends on that.

If x is positive, say + 3, f(-x) = |-x| = x , 3 in the example.  So this is an even function.

B What is y when x = 0 and what is x when (if) y = 0

C Are there any x values that need to be excluded? When x = 0 , y = o. For all other x values y is positive. That fixes the range.

D There is a value of x that gives a minimum.  As x tends to infinity so does y so there's no maximum.

E These answers should enable you do make a sketch. If you have difficulty try substituting some x values.

Bob

Children are not defined by school ...........The Fonz
You cannot teach a man anything;  you can only help him find it within himself..........Galileo Galilei
Sometimes I deliberately make mistakes, just to test you!  …………….Bob smile

#3 2024-03-30 01:05:12

nycguitarguy

Bob wrote:

B. Find the intercepts.

E. Graph the function.

You've posted a lot of questions, all asking for the same, just with different functions.

I'll go through what to do for this one.  Hopefully, you can then do the rest yourself. smile

A  Try positive and negatives separately here as the absolute function depends on that.

If x is positive, say + 3, f(-x) = |-x| = x , 3 in the example.  So this is an even function.

C Are there any x values that need to be excluded? When x = 0 , y = o. For all other x values y is positive. That fixes the range.

D There is a value of x that gives a minimum.  As x tends to infinity so does y so there's no maximum.

E These answers should enable you do make a sketch. If you have difficulty try substituting some x values.

Bob

This is all I needed to do the rest on my own. I thank you again.

#4 2024-03-30 05:12:41

nycguitarguy

Bob wrote:

B. Find the intercepts.

E. Graph the function.

Bob

I edited the other posts.

Board footer