Math Is Fun Forum

Discussion about math, puzzles, games and fun.   Useful symbols: ÷ × ½ √ ∞ ≠ ≤ ≥ ≈ ⇒ ± ∈ Δ θ ∴ ∑ ∫ • π ƒ -¹ ² ³ °

You are not logged in.

#1 2024-03-16 01:19:12

nycguitarguy

Basketball

If a basketball player shoots  an underhand foul shot, releasing the ball at a 70° angle from a position 3.5 feet above the floor, then the path of the ball can be modeled by the function

h(x) = -(136x^2)/(v^2) + 2.7x + 3.5,

where h is the height of the ball above the floor, x is the forward distance of the ball in front of the foul line, and v is the initial velocity with which the ball is shot in feet per second.

A. The center of the hoop is 10 feet above the floor and 15 feet in front of the foul line. Determine the initial velocity with which the ball must be shot in order for the ball to go through the hoop.

B. Write a function for the path of the ball using the velocity found in part A above.

C. Determine the height of the 84 after it has traveled 9 feet in front of the basketball.

Part A

I must let h(x) = 10 and x = 15 and solve for v. You say?

Part B

I need help for part B.

Part C

Let x = 9 and v = the velocity found in part A.

You say?

Part D

To find additional points, I must create a table in terms if x and h(x).

You say?

The Rapture is the central event in biblical prophecy. The greatest truth about the Rapture is not its timing but it's reality. The Rapture will be the great disappearance.

Dr. David Jeremiah

#2 2024-03-16 02:08:04

Bob
Administrator

Re: Basketball

A correct.

That will give a V value.  I haven't tried it. Let's say V = 20

Then the function becomes -136x^2/400 + 2.7x + 3.5

So you can proceed with that for the rest of the questions.

Bob

Children are not defined by school ...........The Fonz
You cannot teach a man anything;  you can only help him find it within himself..........Galileo Galilei
Sometimes I deliberately make mistakes, just to test you!  …………….Bob smile

#3 2024-03-16 12:02:46

nycguitarguy

Bob wrote:

A correct.

That will give a V value.  I haven't tried it. Let's say V = 20

Then the function becomes -136x^2/400 + 2.7x + 3.5

So you can proceed with that for the rest of the questions.

Bob

Thank you. Looks good. I will proceed and show my work when time allows.

The Rapture is the central event in biblical prophecy. The greatest truth about the Rapture is not its timing but it's reality. The Rapture will be the great disappearance.

Dr. David Jeremiah

#4 2024-03-18 09:42:48

amnkb

FelizNYC wrote:

...the path of the ball can be modeled by the function h(x) = -(136x^2)/(v^2) + 2.7x + 3.5, where h is the height of the ball above the floor, x is the forward distance of the ball in front of the foul line, and v is the initial velocity with which the ball is shot in feet per second.

Part B. Write a function for the path of the ball using the velocity found in part A above.

I need help for part B.

Once you get the number for 'v' from part 'A', plug that into the eqn they gave you
(and maybe simplify)
That's all they want for this part

FelizNYC wrote:

Part D. To find additional points, I must create a table in terms if x and h(x).

What were the instructions for this part?
(it's not in your first post, i don't think?)

#5 2024-03-18 19:52:00

nycguitarguy

amnkb wrote:
FelizNYC wrote:

...the path of the ball can be modeled by the function h(x) = -(136x^2)/(v^2) + 2.7x + 3.5, where h is the height of the ball above the floor, x is the forward distance of the ball in front of the foul line, and v is the initial velocity with which the ball is shot in feet per second.

Part B. Write a function for the path of the ball using the velocity found in part A above.

I need help for part B.

Once you get the number for 'v' from part 'A', plug that into the eqn they gave you
(and maybe simplify)
That's all they want for this part

FelizNYC wrote:

Part D. To find additional points, I must create a table in terms if x and h(x).

What were the instructions for this part?
(it's not in your first post, i don't think?)

Instructions are clearly given in this question.

Dr. David Jeremiah

#6 2024-03-19 07:25:51

amnkb

FelizNYC wrote:

A. The center of the hoop is 10 feet above the floor and 15 feet in front of the foul line. Determine the initial velocity with which the ball must be shot in order for the ball to go through the hoop.

B. Write a function for the path of the ball using the velocity found in part A above.

C. Determine the height of the 84 after it has traveled 9 feet in front of the basketball.

The only instrutions Im' seeing are the 3 quoted
sorry

#7 2024-03-19 10:40:09

nycguitarguy

amnkb wrote:
FelizNYC wrote:

The only instrutions Im' seeing are the 3 quoted
sorry

Can you help me with Part B?

Dr. David Jeremiah

#8 2024-03-19 20:24:52

Bob
Administrator

What did you get for part A ?

Bob

Children are not defined by school ...........The Fonz
You cannot teach a man anything;  you can only help him find it within himself..........Galileo Galilei
Sometimes I deliberately make mistakes, just to test you!  …………….Bob smile

#9 2024-03-20 02:36:37

nycguitarguy

Bob wrote:

What did you get for part A ?

Bob

I didn't do part A so far. I will try it later. Very busy this morning.

Dr. David Jeremiah

#10 2024-03-21 02:08:45

amnkb

FelizNYC wrote:

find 'v' for part A
plug that into the eqn they gave you
this is all they want for partt B

#11 2024-03-21 02:53:09

nycguitarguy

amnkb wrote:
FelizNYC wrote:

find 'v' for part A
plug that into the eqn they gave you
this is all they want for partt B

Copy. Understood. More math later tonight.

Dr. David Jeremiah

Board footer