Math Is Fun Forum

Discussion about math, puzzles, games and fun.   Useful symbols: ÷ × ½ √ ∞ ≠ ≤ ≥ ≈ ⇒ ± ∈ Δ θ ∴ ∑ ∫ • π ƒ -¹ ² ³ °

You are not logged in.

#1 2024-03-19 03:18:13

nycguitarguy

Effect of Elevation on Weight

If an object weighs m pounds at sea level, then it's weight W (in pounds) at a height of h miles above sea level is given approximately by

W(h) = m[4000/(4000 + h)]^2

If Amy Weighs 120 pounds at sea level, how much will she weigh on Pike's Peak, which I'd 14,110 feet above sea level?

The Rapture is the central event in biblical prophecy. The greatest truth about the Rapture is not its timing but it's reality. The Rapture will be the great disappearance.

Dr. David Jeremiah

#2 2024-03-19 06:25:49

Bob
Administrator

Re: Effect of Elevation on Weight

You're not told m but there's a way to calculate it.  Put in h = o (for sea level) and you can find m.

Then you can put h = 14110 . but convert feet to miles first.

Bob

Children are not defined by school ...........The Fonz
You cannot teach a man anything;  you can only help him find it within himself..........Galileo Galilei
Sometimes I deliberately make mistakes, just to test you!  …………….Bob smile

#3 2024-03-19 07:39:00

amnkb

FelizNYC wrote:

If an object weighs m pounds at sea level, then it's weight W (in pounds) at a height of h miles above sea level is given approximately by W(h) = m[4000/(4000 + h)]^2. If Amy Weighs 120 pounds at sea level, how much will she weigh on Pike's Peak, which is 14,110 feet above sea level?

(dont round until the end!)

#4 2024-03-19 10:44:50

nycguitarguy

Bob wrote:

You're not told m but there's a way to calculate it.  Put in h = o (for sea level) and you can find m.

Bob

Perfect. Copy. Thanks again. Do you have an email address? I need your advice about a new job that I am set to start on March 25. I don't know if I can physically do the job at 58 soon to be 59.

The Rapture is the central event in biblical prophecy. The greatest truth about the Rapture is not its timing but it's reality. The Rapture will be the great disappearance.

Dr. David Jeremiah

#5 2024-03-19 14:38:52

nycguitarguy

Bob wrote:

Bob

Perfect. Copy. Thanks again. Do you have an email address? I need your advice about a new job that I am set to start on March 25. I don't know if I can physically do the job at 58 soon to be 59.

Dr. David Jeremiah

Board footer