Math Is Fun Forum

Discussion about math, puzzles, games and fun.   Useful symbols: ÷ × ½ √ ∞ ≠ ≤ ≥ ≈ ⇒ ± ∈ Δ θ ∴ ∑ ∫ • π ƒ -¹ ² ³ °

You are not logged in.

#1 2023-11-15 03:49:57

sologuitar

Real Solutions of the Quadratic Equation...A

Show that the real solutions of the equation ax^2 + bx + c = 0 are the negatives of the real solutions of the equation ax^2 - bx + c = 0. Assume that b^2 - 4ac is greater than or equal to 0.

I don't even know where to begin. I welcome any hints.

#2 2023-11-15 04:10:37

amnkb

Re: Real Solutions of the Quadratic Equation...A

sologuitar wrote:

Show that the real solutions of the equation ax^2 + bx + c = 0 are the negatives of the real solutions of the equation ax^2 - bx + c = 0. Assume that b^2 - 4ac is greater than or equal to 0.

Just answer the questions posted and keep your text math-related.

Last edited by amnkb (2023-11-15 04:34:37)

#3 2023-11-16 18:20:00

sologuitar

amnkb wrote:
sologuitar wrote:

Just answer the questions posted and keep your text math-related.

How did you know what to do? What data in the application led you to work out the problem as you did?

#4 2023-11-17 17:21:26

KerimF

sologuitar wrote:

How did you know what to do? What data in the application led you to work out the problem as you did?

As you know, to compare two solutions, one just needs to find each of them first.

But in the case of someone who didn't hear yet the solution (root’s formula) of a quadratic equation, the proof will be much longer.

For instance, I forgot the math trick by which the root’s formula was found (when I was at school about 60 years ago), so now I needed to search “How to find the quadratic equation formula” to remember it sad

#5 2023-11-18 03:59:10

sologuitar

KerimF wrote:
sologuitar wrote:

As you know, to compare two solutions, one just needs to find each of them first.

But in the case of someone who didn't hear yet the solution (root’s formula) of a quadratic equation, the proof will be much longer.

For instance, I forgot the math trick by which the root’s formula was found (when I was at school about 60 years ago), so now I needed to search “How to find the quadratic equation formula” to remember it sad

Keep all your math tricks to yourself. Get involved in the conversation by providing your math work and less lectures.

Board footer