Math Is Fun Forum

Discussion about math, puzzles, games and fun.   Useful symbols: ÷ × ½ √ ∞ ≠ ≤ ≥ ≈ ⇒ ± ∈ Δ θ ∴ ∑ ∫ • π ƒ -¹ ² ³ °

You are not logged in.

#1 2023-10-04 09:56:55

sologuitar

My Life As A NYC Security Guard

Security work is a thankless job. I work for Mulligan Security at the Falchi Building. The site has a huge turn over rate because the "Chief Engineer" has been given full control of the guard staff. This man loves to verbally abuse the guards. I just lost two of my closest co-workers for the same reason.

They just couldn't take the verbal abuse anymore. What has the guard company done to stop the abuse? They have done nothing at all. Contract security guard companies care more about the contract and not about what the guards actually going through daily.

We are very short-staffed, overworked, verbally abused and weekly having check problems. I am 58 years old. It's hard for people over 50 to land a job. I am also former Navy.

I was a substitute teacher for 8 years in the toughest NYC public schools. I have two college degrees earned back in the 1990s but to no avail. What can I say? My life drags big time.

#2 2023-10-04 19:50:11

Bob
Administrator

Re: My Life As A NYC Security Guard

who is the superior to the chief engineer?

Children are not defined by school ...........The Fonz
You cannot teach a man anything;  you can only help him find it within himself..........Galileo Galilei
Sometimes I deliberately make mistakes, just to test you!  …………….Bob smile

#3 2023-10-05 03:54:14

sologuitar

Bob wrote:

who is the superior to the chief engineer?

1. The engineer is just a title given to a man who has a huge spelling problem. This guy does not know how to spell engineer. He is not certified as an engineer.

2. The person above the chief engineer (I will call him Mr. x) is the property manager Camacho who allows his right hand man to abuse security.

3. In the last two years, over 50 guards and FSD personage left the job site. It is that bad.

4. Mr. x is a Muslim. Need I say more? Religion of love, huh? That's a joke in poor taste.

5. Two of the best coworkers I ever had left the site on Monday after Mr. x yelled at them in the lobby for no reason at all.

6. My account manager cannot stabilize the site because of Mr. x. The site has a huge turn over rate because of Mr. x. It's a never-ending story of verbal abuse and lies to make security look bad.

7. I started searching for a new security job yesterday. I applied with 2 companies yesterday one for which I worked for in the past.

8. I am 58 years old. Age discrimination is alive and well. It's hard for people over 50 to land a job. I have no idea what my future holds.

It's scary, Bob.

You say?

#4 2023-10-05 04:21:57

Bob
Administrator

Best of luck with the job search. It does seem the best way forward.

B

Children are not defined by school ...........The Fonz
You cannot teach a man anything;  you can only help him find it within himself..........Galileo Galilei
Sometimes I deliberately make mistakes, just to test you!  …………….Bob smile

#5 2023-10-05 06:02:37

sologuitar

Bob wrote:

Best of luck with the job search. It does seem the best way forward.

B

Thank you, Bob. Of course, I will not quit my job before finding another. I am making preparations for a better place to work even if it means less money. I will send more resumes today and keep you posted. Please, pray for me.

#6 2023-10-05 07:18:15

e_jane_aran

I remember a question posed in one of my classes as an undergraduate:

Young people and old people face many of the same problems, often to do with discrimination. Why do old people fight it harder?

The answer: You can grow out of being young; you can't grow out of being old.

Best wishes on the job search and, if you glean any advice that you think might help fellow seniors, please share!

"They are fast. Faster than you can believe. Don't turn your back. Don't look away. And most of all, don't blink." -the 10th Doctor

#7 2023-10-06 05:15:27

sologuitar

e_jane_aran wrote:

I remember a question posed in one of my classes as an undergraduate:

Young people and old people face many of the same problems, often to do with discrimination. Why do old people fight it harder?

The answer: You can grow out of being young; you can't grow out of being old.

Best wishes on the job search and, if you glean any advice that you think might help fellow seniors, please share!

Thank you. I will keep you posted. Three resumes have been sent already to 3 new companies in the last 2 days. I haven't heard from anyone. Of course, it takes time. I am not the only person applying.

Board footer