Math Is Fun Forum

Discussion about math, puzzles, games and fun.   Useful symbols: ÷ × ½ √ ∞ ≠ ≤ ≥ ≈ ⇒ ± ∈ Δ θ ∴ ∑ ∫ • π ƒ -¹ ² ³ °

You are not logged in.

#1 2022-10-21 14:53:59

Jai Ganesh
Administrator

Benevolent, Benevolence, and Benign Quotes

Benevolent, Benevolence, and Benign Quotes

1. To feel much for others and little for ourselves; to restrain our selfishness and exercise our benevolent affections, constitute the perfection of human nature. - Adam Smith

2. But friendship is precious, not only in the shade, but in the sunshine of life, and thanks to a benevolent arrangement the greater part of life is sunshine. - Thomas Jefferson

3. It is clearly better that property should be private, but the use of it common; and the special business of the legislator is to create in men this benevolent disposition. - Aristotle

4. I am a misanthrope and yet utterly benevolent, have more than one screw loose yet am a super-idealist who digests philosophy more efficiently than food. - Alfred Nobel

5. When from our better selves we have too long been parted by the hurrying world, and droop. Sick of its business, of its pleasures tired, how gracious, how benign is solitude. - William Wordsworth

6. The universe seems neither benign nor hostile, merely indifferent. - Carl Sagan

7. When you lift off, the pressure is supposed to be maximum. But actually, it was very benign. Very enjoyable. But as soon as the engines cut off and you get to zero gravity, you felt as if you were being pushed off your seat. You feel disoriented. You don't feel aligned with anything. I felt for a few good hours that I was falling. - Kalpana Chawla

8. It is not from the benevolence of the butcher, the brewer, or the baker that we expect our dinner, but from their regard to their own interest. - Adam Smith

9. When virtue is lost, benevolence appears, when benevolence is lost right conduct appears, when right conduct is lost, expedience appears. Expediency is the mere shadow of right and truth; it is the beginning of disorder. - Lao Tzu

10. Good is positive. Evil is merely privative, not absolute: it is like cold, which is the privation of heat. All evil is so much death or nonentity. Benevolence is absolute and real. So much benevolence as a man hath, so much life hath he. - Ralph Waldo Emerson

11. General benevolence, but not general friendship, made a man what he ought to be. - Jane Austen

12. The poverty of a man of benevolence is not to be considered as poverty but only as his temporary inability to exercise his inherent duty. - Thiruvalluvar.

iStock-672165776-1591388938.jpg

It appears to me that if one wants to make progress in mathematics, one should study the masters and not the pupils. - Niels Henrik Abel.

Nothing is better than reading and gaining more and more knowledge - Stephen William Hawking.

Board footer