Math Is Fun Forum

Discussion about math, puzzles, games and fun.   Useful symbols: ÷ × ½ √ ∞ ≠ ≤ ≥ ≈ ⇒ ± ∈ Δ θ ∴ ∑ ∫ • π ƒ -¹ ² ³ °

You are not logged in.

#1 2022-07-10 17:00:45

Jai Ganesh
Administrator

Assumption, Assumptions, Assumed, Assuming Quotes

Assumption, Assumptions, Assumed, Assuming Quotes

1. I never attempt to make money on the stock market. I buy on the assumption that they could close the market the next day and not reopen it for five years. - Warren Buffett

2. If we all worked on the assumption that what is accepted as true is really true, there would be little hope of advance. - Orville Wright

3. I have made the mistaken assumption - and I will attempt to be better at this - of thinking that because somebody is on Twitter and is attacking me that it is open season. And that is my mistake. - Elon Musk

4. What a man believes may be ascertained, not from his creed, but from the assumptions on which he habitually acts. - George Bernard Shaw

5. People just assume, over the years, that soccer players are not too intelligent. As with most assumptions, they're wrong. - David Beckham

6. When we assumed the Soldier, we did not lay aside the Citizen. - George Washington

7. The education I received was a British education, in which British ideas, British culture, British institutions, were automatically assumed to be superior. There was no such thing as African culture. - Nelson Mandela

8. Hypotheses should be subservient only in explaining the properties of things but not assumed in determining them, unless so far as they may furnish experiments. - Isaac Newton

9. My father was a research scientist in tropical medicine, so I always assumed I would be a scientist, too. I felt that medicine was too vague and inexact, so I chose physics. - Stephen Hawking

10. It is very hard to be a female leader. While it is assumed that any man, no matter how tough, has a soft side... and female leader is assumed to be one-dimensional. - Billie Jean King

11. It's often assumed that British actors read Shakespeare and sonnets as we're going to bed at night and we're all very familiar with it. - Kate Winslet

12. As human beings, we are vulnerable to confusing the unprecedented with the improbable. In our everyday experience, if something has never happened before, we are generally safe in assuming it is not going to happen in the future, but the exceptions can kill you and climate change is one of those exceptions. - Al Gore

13. Assuming the chairmanship of ASEAN isn't going to do anything about improving the lives of people. - Aung San Suu Kyi

14. We should govern our actions by assuming that people are more good than bad. Whereas, most of our social policies dictate that people are more bad than good. That you know if you do something, it'll be seized by the rich to exploit the poor. - James D. Watson

15. The paradigm of competition is a race: by rewarding the winner, we encourage everyone to run faster. When capitalism really works this way, it does a good job; but its defenders are wrong in assuming it always works this way. - Richard Stallman.

tumblr_inline_oo2c57MKwl1qbolbn_1280.png

It appears to me that if one wants to make progress in mathematics, one should study the masters and not the pupils. - Niels Henrik Abel.

Nothing is better than reading and gaining more and more knowledge - Stephen William Hawking.

Board footer