Math Is Fun Forum

Discussion about math, puzzles, games and fun.   Useful symbols: ÷ × ½ √ ∞ ≠ ≤ ≥ ≈ ⇒ ± ∈ Δ θ ∴ ∑ ∫ • π ƒ -¹ ² ³ °

You are not logged in.

#1 2022-06-12 14:04:36

Mathegocart

On improving the "Messaging" subsection of the Profile section

Hello MIF friends,
While I was browsing through my Profile, I was noticing that the "Messaging" section's options are, unfortunately, a little anachronistic:
screenshot of MathIsFun Forum's Profile "Messaging" subsection options
Jabber is a (not too popular these days) instant messaging service that runs on XMPP - which doesn't have the widest appeal(to my chagrin) these days.
ICQ also is antiquated w/ not too much popular at around 11 million monthly users(compare to 150 million for Discord, the main IM platform of the day).
Microsoft Account is fine, though Skype waned substantially in popularity w/ the pandemic and Zoom.
AOL IM was the premier messaging service of its day(late 90s to early-mid 2000s), but it was (sadly) infamously discontinued by AOL on December 15, 2017. RIP AIM. Though it appears as though that someone has rekindled it, albeit with nowhere near the amount of users that AIM had.
Last but not least, Yahoo! Messenger was one of the great message titans of its day as well, but after being shortly reintroduced in 2015, it was shut down entirely on July 17, 2019, replaced with a new service known as Yahoo! Together(which bore a suspicious resemblance to Slack.) Unfortunately, that was shut down as well on April 4, 2019. Yes, Yahoo! Messenger has been throughquite the journey.
In this day and age of the fast-changing Internet, we ought to recognize the current IM behemoth of the day, Discord - which boasts, according to some estimates, 150 million active monthly users.
Please add Discord as an option in the Messaging subsection of the Profile subsection.

Last edited by Mathegocart (2022-06-12 14:08:48)

The integral of hope is reality.
May bobbym have a wonderful time in the pearly gates of heaven.
He will be sorely missed.

#2 2022-06-12 19:14:00

Bob
Administrator

Re: On improving the "Messaging" subsection of the Profile section

hi Mathegocart

I cannot find a way to edit this using my admin access.

Bob

Children are not defined by school ...........The Fonz
You cannot teach a man anything;  you can only help him find it within himself..........Galileo Galilei
Sometimes I deliberately make mistakes, just to test you!  …………….Bob smile

#3 2022-06-13 02:11:56

Mathegocart

Bob wrote:

hi Mathegocart

I cannot find a way to edit this using my admin access.

Bob

Hopefully MIF himself might intervene if he has time. I always thought that the "Messaging" subsection of the Profile section was quite archaic... some aspects do need to change sooner rather than later!

Last edited by Mathegocart (2022-06-13 02:12:15)

#4 2022-06-27 02:09:19

CurlyBracket

Hi,

I know this is a bit of an aside but still - it's surprising how dynamic the world of the internet is.

Personally,  I've never heard of these services mentioned above, with the sole exception of AOL, which we use as an inside joke among my friends to describe someone who just can't move on from the old,  lives in a shed with a cowboy hat - that sort of thing.

Today's mega giants - Discord, Reddit,  YouTube, Instagram,  Twitter even outlook or gmail! How long do they have?

I was a five year old when Skype and Yahoo were all the rage. Why did they stop? Why do any of these stop?

Is there a way to determine the decline of a certain app or website?

What are the factors behind this?

Learning is fun - Exceptio probat regulam!

#5 2022-06-27 03:15:10

Mathegocart

CurlyBracket wrote:

Hi,

I know this is a bit of an aside but still - it's surprising how dynamic the world of the internet is.

Personally,  I've never heard of these services mentioned above, with the sole exception of AOL, which we use as an inside joke among my friends to describe someone who just can't move on from the old,  lives in a shed with a cowboy hat - that sort of thing.

Today's mega giants - Discord, Reddit,  YouTube, Instagram,  Twitter even outlook or gmail! How long do they have?

I was a five year old when Skype and Yahoo were all the rage. Why did they stop? Why do any of these stop?

Is there a way to determine the decline of a certain app or website?

What are the factors behind this?

Yeah... looking back at the "old" Internet, personally, I miss the old, more decentralized web, not dominated by a couple of massive tech conglomerates, w/ the increasing superficiality, the vapidity of modern dialogue accelerating an ever-faster pace.

As for the mammoths of today, I have to say that barring a major scandal involving those services, I don't see them going away in terms of dominance in the next 3 years(granted, things can change, but prob not that fast.)

And for an alternative browser rising up and for being somewhat competitive in terms of marketshare w/ Chrome? Probably not happening, unless major funding comes to Mozilla and Firefox w/ Gecko, the only other viable browser engine.

Last edited by Mathegocart (2022-06-27 03:20:52)

Board footer