Math Is Fun Forum

Discussion about math, puzzles, games and fun.   Useful symbols: ÷ × ½ √ ∞ ≠ ≤ ≥ ≈ ⇒ ± ∈ Δ θ ∴ ∑ ∫ • π ƒ -¹ ² ³ °

You are not logged in.

#1 2022-05-05 16:53:03

Jai Ganesh
Administrator

Analogy Quotes

Analogy Quotes

1. I tend to approach things from a physics framework. And physics teaches you to reason from first principles rather than by analogy. - Elon Musk

2. Analogies, it is true, decide nothing, but they can make one feel more at home. - Sigmund Freud

3. The world is full of hopeful analogies and handsome, dubious eggs, called possibilities. - George Eliot

4. A mathematician is a person who can find analogies between theorems; a better mathematician is one who can see analogies between proofs and the best mathematician can notice analogies between theories. - Stefan Banach

5. We are certainly not to relinquish the evidence of experiments for the sake of dreams and vain fictions of our own devising; nor are we to recede from the analogy of Nature, which is wont to be simple and always consonant to itself. - Isaac Newton

6. Trouble results when the speed of growth exceeds the speed of nurturing human resources. To use the analogy of growth rings in a tree, when unusually rapid growth caused the rings to grow abnormally thick, the tree trunk weakens and is easily broken. - Akio Toyoda

7. Nationality is the miracle of political independence; race is the principle of physical analogy. - Benjamin Disraeli

8. Birds and animals in the wild migrate every year to safer and nurturing pastures, leaving behind the old environment. After nurturing their young ones, they return to thrive in the old environs. I use that analogy to meditate. You migrate to your inner soul, nurture the strength, light and creativity there, and return. - Amala Akkineni

9. The solution of the difficulty is that the two mental pictures which experiment lead us to form - the one of the particles, the other of the waves - are both incomplete and have only the validity of analogies which are accurate only in limiting cases. - Werner Heisenberg

10. If one looks at the different problems of the integral calculus which arise naturally when one wishes to go deep into the different parts of physics, it is impossible not to be struck by the analogies existing. - Henri Poincare

11. I use a lot of film images, analogies, and imagination. - Carlos Fuentes

12. If your insides are not well looked-after, then your outsides are going to suffer. It's like a glass that's not cleaned from the inside. Whatever you do to polish it from the outside, it's still going to look dirty. So that's the analogy. - Shilpa Shetty

13. You don't do a play to compete for an award. This was the argument I always had over the Oscars. I didn't win them. They were given to me. All I did was 2 films. People always say the analogy is Olympic gold medals. - Glenda Jackson

14. Sometimes I make an analogy that each scientific paper is like putting out another record. And some people have careers that are nothing but a one-hit wonder. And then there are people who are only appreciated by aficionados but largely forgotten by the wider community. - Eric Betzig

15. I see my self-identity in the same way I see most things: a list, in greatest to least importance. I've found I can't use the multitude of hats analogy or some kind of flow chart where circles are connected by lines and entwined in Venn diagrams. I need a list. I need a top shelf. - Stephanie Land.

Q06-1-23.png

It appears to me that if one wants to make progress in mathematics, one should study the masters and not the pupils. - Niels Henrik Abel.

Nothing is better than reading and gaining more and more knowledge - Stephen William Hawking.

Board footer